Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Surface Book Keyboard issues with Revit 2017

45 REPLIES 45
Message 1 of 46
taylor3000
2672 Views, 45 Replies

Microsoft Surface Book Keyboard issues with Revit 2017

I have a Microsoft Surface Book with the performance package. I don't have lag issues or any performance issues with running Revit, but occasionally my keyboard will stop responding. The keyboard will respond periodically, but never go back to normal response times once it starts glitching. I have changed the resolution around like the other posts have suggested to deal with visual glitching, but still run into Keyboard issues. I noticed one other person saying the same thing as a piggyback on another post, but it didn't receive any input. 

45 REPLIES 45
Message 2 of 46
dzanta
in reply to: taylor3000

does the keyboard issue only show up when Revit is running?

is there a driver for the keyboard you can download for the surface book pro?

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 46
taylor3000
in reply to: dzanta

Yes. I've only experienced the issue while using Revit. I have also used other programs like SketchUp and AutoCAD without having the issue. I just checked and all my keyboard drivers are up to date. 

Message 4 of 46
mccallumcarson

Same issue started happening to me this week. First it was sporadically disconnecting / frozen keyboard and mouse. I was able to fix it a few times by closing the screen, resetting etc. but now that doesn't work and it doesn't detect the keyboard or mouse despite being able to attatch and unattatch.

Wondering if this is a recent issue. I've prowled the web and completed most of the recommended fixes to no avail.
Message 5 of 46
kdp4chargers

I have the same exact issue, however mine freezes every 5-10 minute or so and only when using Revit. Have any solutions been found? I'm in school to be an architect and decided to spend the extra money for the surface book but the issue is getting rather annoying.

Message 6 of 46
taylor3000
in reply to: kdp4chargers

A solution has not been found. I've accepted defeat for now and use the school computers to do my work.
Message 7 of 46
alyrashid

Hello

I have the surface laptop too and I noticed an I knew before buying it that these kind of lop are not done for such heavy software and it will work for some time in a good way then the CPU and the ram will become full and you will have some problem with the keyboard the window itself etch. You can try to have a ram cleaner and when you want to work with big project I highly recommend a gaming laptop suck as the Lenovo and dell they are both pretty good for rendering and graphical performance .

Regards

Architect Aly Rashid,
Autodesk Certified Professional Revit
Autodesk Certified Instructor

If you find my answer is a solution do not hesitate to mark it as a solution so others can benefit from it, and if you find it useful I would like to have a kudos, thank you
Message 8 of 46
adam.m.nelson

I'm having the same problem. none of the suggestions presented have worked. Has anyone tried anything else? I have the performance package as well, and CPU/Ram/video card are not a limiting factor in my workflow. 

incredibly annoying. 

Message 9 of 46
Viveka_CD
in reply to: adam.m.nelson

Hi @mccallumcarson@adam.m.nelson@taylor3000 and @kdp4chargers

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues.

Please check hardware certified for use with Autodesk software. However, if it meets the minimum system requirements then it should be able to install and run the software (see Autodesk System Requirements).

Check drivers for peripherals. Go to control panel - select device manager and locate HID Keyboard Device (install and update driver)

device manager.JPG

Also, Does this freeze occur when you are working on something specific, a tool, or press a specific key or combination of keys (Shift+tab etc)

What is the size of the Revit model you are working on? Any add-ins installed recently?

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 10 of 46
jesse_
in reply to: Viveka_CD

I've got this same issue. It occurs intermittently on my surfacebook. When it occurs I switch to an external keyboard (which still functions). It is extremely frustrating! All drivers are up to date.

-Jesse

Message 11 of 46

I have the same issue, it only happens with Revit, by the way I was having Surface Pro 3 and it was not match the Autodesk Revit requirement and it was perfect. I tried your solution (reinstall keyboard) and still suffering.

I need a help soon please as it is very annoying to reopen the Revit each 10 minutes to solve the issue!

Message 12 of 46
kdp4chargers

I uninstalled 2017 and installed 2018. I have not had a single problem since then. It's not that the surface books can't run the program, or handle it because they can. My guess is there was something within the software that caused the program to glitch the keyboard.
Message 13 of 46
Viveka_CD
in reply to: kdp4chargers

Hi @kdp4chargers@taylor3000@abdelrahmann.sami@jesse_@adam.m.nelson

• Please take a look at the recommendations from the Microsoft page HERE
  • Also check the specifications for system requirements for Revit products HERE
  • It would help if you had your IT department check the requirements or you could compare the surface book spec with Autodesk recommended specifications.
  • This error may also occur due to the size of your models, for bigger models - the minimum spec might not be sufficient.
  • This problem can arise due to specific issues.

I request the users to share their journals and NFO files - this will help us investigate further. I can share a private folder for each of you.

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 14 of 46
okaplan

I have experienced the utmost frustration with this. I was told the surface book was the best to purchase for BIM and I have run into nothing, but hours wasted and trouble. I actually bought a certified refurbished surface book with i7 processor, 18 gb, 512 gb, NVIDIA... whole works, I didn't skimp on anything. Revit doing same things. Wouldn't let me type, delete or whatever sometimes. When I would have a browser open at the same time, that wouldn't work either. AUTODESK AND MICROSOFT: YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON. Too many designers and students are so excited to use your product and are reporting the same horrible issues. I've spent a solid 15 hours troubleshooting with Microsoft and they can't give me any information. Autodesk, you need to come up with a solution for fixing your botched program.

Message 15 of 46
Viveka_CD
in reply to: okaplan

Hi @okaplan

I understand your frustration. 

I wanted to check back with you on your post. I am trying to get more information with regard to your issue.

Please see post HERE for a similar issue and resolution by @scott_d_davis

I came across this blog where architect seems to use the surface book successfully for their projects.

Meanwhile, I suggest you check the Desktop App to see if there are any Revit updates available. For information on using the Desktop App see the following article: About the Autodesk Desktop App

Note: If you are not able to download updates through the Desktop App, the following article has information on downloading updates through the Autodesk Accounts page: Install Updates, Add-ons, and Enhancements

Also, can you share your journal and NFO file, it will help us dive in to see what's happening at your end.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Message 16 of 46
Viveka_CD

Hi @okaplan@alyrashid@taylor3000@abdelrahmann.sami@jesse_ ,@adam.m.nelson and @mccallumcarson

With quite a few customers reporting the same issue, I'm trying to gather information, compile and send a report to Microsoft as well as system specifications team at Autodesk to dive in. Please try to answer so we can focus on resolvingSmiley Happy

If you can send me screenshots, NFO files, journals that would help. I can share private folders for each.Let me know.

I've heard back from @kdp4chargers but I'm waiting for your specific responses see below, to compile this report: 

@kdp4chargers

System specs:  A 512GB surface book with intel core i7 processor and 16GB RAM memory and Nvidia GeForce 965M 2GB GDDRS memory

Issues: Keyboard glitches when using any tool in Revit 2017 whether it is Rendering, line tools or placing a wall.

Keyboard freezes every 5-10 minutes only when working on Revit

Issue resolved: After installing and working in Revit 2018 resulted in no glitches

Other programs installed? Does the issue occur when running other applications?

@taylor3000 

System specs:  Microsoft Surface Book with the performance package. Can you send more details specs or provide a link?

Also, which version of Revit are you using?

Issues: Keyboard glitching occasionally, but once glitch occurs doesn't seem to go back to normal.

Tried: 1) changing the resolution to correct visual glitching, but still, continues to face keyboard issues

2) Updated keyboard drivers but issue persists

Other programs installed: SketchUp and AutoCAD (no keyboard glitch when running these applications, only with Revit)

@mccallumcarson

System specs?

Revit version?

Issues: sporadically disconnecting/frozen keyboard and mouse.

Tried: 1) To fix it a few times by closing the screen, resetting etc. but now that doesn't work and it doesn't detect the keyboard or mouse despite being able to attach and unattach. ( Are you talking about the keyboard being attached or a program tool?)

What are the other recommendations that you have tried? Can you provide links to help the community seeking similar solutions?

@alyrashid

System specs: surface laptop - specs?

Revit version?

Tried: A RAM cleaner for heavy projects

@adam.m.nelson

system specs: Performance package with certified CPU/Ram/video card

Revit version:?

Other apps?

@jesse_

systems specs?

Revit version?

other apps?

Issues: keyboard glitches

Tried: External keyboard seems to work

@abdelrahmann.sami

system specs: Surface Pro3 detail required?

Tried: reinstalling keyboard, does not work

Issue: Reopen Revit every 10 minutes (Does Revit crash? or you are having only a keyboard issue) Please elaborate?

Other applications?

@okaplan

system specs: a refurbished surface book with i7 processor, 18 gb, 512 gb, NVIDIA (more details required)

Revit version?

Issue: Revit doing same things (please elaborate). Wouldn't let me type, delete.

When the browser (which browser) is open, does your application freeze?

Other applications?

NOTE: Please check out the other threads related to this issue:

1)Surface Book Problem with Keyboard/Trackpad when using Revit 2016, 2017

2)Microsoft Surface Book Keyboard issues with Revit 2017

3)Revit with Surface Book

4)Revit Scaling issue on surface book

5)Microsoft Surface Book Revit 2014, 2015 & 2016 problem

6)Surface Book Issues

7)Student using Revit 2017 on Windows Surface Book

Looking forward to your responses. Let me know if you have additional questions.Smiley Happy

Regards,

Message 17 of 46
kdp4chargers

@Viveka_CD
Other programs: At the time SketchUp, AutoCAD 2017 (only used a few times) and ArchiCad (Unfortunately, but it was what my school tried pushing on us at the time.)

It never happened with any other programs, souly Revit. Also happened when just Revit was running on my computer
Message 18 of 46
okaplan

Thank you for doing this! So I've had 2 surface books within one month. The first was a certified refurbished, but now I have a brand new one: information attached. Happens with both Revit 2017 and 2018. For example, I want to offset a line in Revit, it will randomly freeze and not select the line or if it selects the line, it won't let me type the amount to offset it. If I go to delete, control, or shift to do certain functions with a line or object, it can get stuck on that function and escaping and everything doesn't work. When revit is open and I start having issues, my browser or other things wont allow me to type. It will work okay for like 10 mins when I first start working and it'll get increasingly worse as I continue to work. Pretty much it feels like a virus is attacking the computer when I'm working in REVIT. I hope this helps... oh and also, if I wait a few mins and keep pressing on a number to hopefully make it show up, it wont for a while then all of a sudden it will produce like 50 of the number and wont stop. The mouse flickers a lot which is when I can tell it will stop working. Since I've had two completely different Microsoft books that are new within the same month, with the EXACT same problems, I can promise you that it's the compatibility of the program with the computer itself. Thanks again for looking into this!  a.JPG

Message 19 of 46
Viveka_CD

Hi @okaplan and @kdp4chargers

I appreciate your input. Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to hearing from the others.

Regards

Message 20 of 46
dennisr

Reading several blogs, there is a problem with Revit and MS Surface's keyboard.....

Please HELP me out.. is there a solution? Work around? anything?  I cant shut down revit every 10mins to get my keyboard working...

H E L P....

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report