Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a Keynote Symbol Leader Work Like a Tag/Text Leader

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
EdynM
2074 Views, 30 Replies

Making a Keynote Symbol Leader Work Like a Tag/Text Leader

For keynotes on Construction Documents, our firm uses Symbols (Generic Annotations) for simple callouts. These are connected to a schedule to display what each number represents. This seems like standard practice for many firms. However, I've noticed when placing these Keynote Symbols, the leaders are placed in a default position next to the symbol (like below). Is there a way to edit the Generic Annotation Family or set up the Keynotes in a different way so we still have the freedom to place them without a direct reference, but the placement starts with the end of the leader, then the elbow, then the location of the symbol, much like a Detail Tag?

emccartySPZK4_0-1671044360575.png

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
barthbradley
in reply to: EdynM

Post the Tag Family.

Message 3 of 31
EdynM

Here is the family for the Keynote Symbol:

Message 4 of 31
EdynM
in reply to: barthbradley

Family has been posted.

Message 5 of 31
barthbradley

Are you asking how to recategorize the family?  

Keynote12.png

Message 6 of 31
barthbradley

I'm having no issues with leader line length.  Isn't that the issue?  Maybe I misunderstood you.  

Oh, I see what you are saying now.   That's typical behavior.  

Message 7 of 31
EdynM

I just want the leader for the symbol act like a standard tag leader on placement. (First click is the end of the arrow, then elbow, then symbol location.) Currently the leader just appears next to the symbol and I have to manually adjust the arrow end and elbow by the control points.

Message 8 of 31
barthbradley

Why don't you recategorize it as a Tag?  

Try Tag All and specify Leader Length.  

Tag All Leader Length.png

...that seems to beat it into submission on my end. 😉

Message 9 of 31
barthbradley

TagLeaderLength.png

Message 10 of 31
EdynM

Thanks! That seems to solve the leader issue, but how do I display a defined Keynote Number in the circle rather than "Walls"? For instance, if I want to keynote the wall on the right as (1) on display '1 - Brick Wall' on the Keynote Schedule.

Message 11 of 31
barthbradley

You need to add the exact same Shared Parameter for the Tag Label to the Project via a Project Parameter assigned to the Categories that you are tagging. 

Message 12 of 31
barthbradley

@EdynM wrote:

Thanks! That seems to solve the leader issue, but how do I display a defined Keynote Number in the circle rather than "Walls"? For instance, if I want to keynote the wall on the right as (1) on display '1 - Brick Wall' on the Keynote Schedule.

If you want the Tag to report a Keynote, the Tag needs to be a Keynote Tag.  Is that what you are asking? How to link it to the Keynote Fie? 

Message 13 of 31
EdynM

I would like to be able to input a number (1, 2, 3, etc.) that displays in the circle and can be referenced in a schedule that will be on the same sheet. The tag doesn't necessarily need to extract or reference any info from the tagged object.

Message 14 of 31
barthbradley

Is this what you mean?

NoteBlock.png

Change the Parameters in the Family to INSTANCE Type.  

NoteBlock 2.png

Message 15 of 31
EdynM

Yes that looks like what I want! Will that be usable across object types? (Tagging Plumbing Fixtures, Railings, Filled Regions, etc.)

Message 16 of 31
barthbradley

Yes. 

Message 17 of 31
EdynM

That's awesome. I really appreciate the help! I'm having a bit of trouble following the steps to that end result though. Could you list out the steps you took to get there again?

Message 19 of 31
EdynM

What kind of tag did you recategorize the generic annotation to?

Message 20 of 31
barthbradley

@EdynM wrote:

What kind of tag did you recategorize the generic annotation to?

I didn't recategorize it. You say you wanted to use it for Generic Notes.  I just changed its TYPE Parameters to INSTANCE Parameters and loaded it into Project and created a Note Block Schedule.  I did it exactly the way as is described in that video and AKN article I linked you to.  Did you go to those two links?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators