Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading structural family problem in LT2020

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
cadmunkey
2904 Views, 17 Replies

Loading structural family problem in LT2020

I have recently upgraded to Revit 2020. In Revit 2019, if you wanted to add new structural beam sizes that were not present in the model, I would go to Insert > Load Family > UB-Universal beams and a list of all available beam sizes would pop up and I could choose which new sizes to insert from this list.

Now in Revit 2020, if I try insert new beam sizes as above I no longer get the list appearing to choose from, instead, I get a dialogue box asking if I want to "Overwrite the existing version" or "Overwrite the existing and parameter values". Choosing either of these options does not add any new steel sizes, and I am stuck with the limited beam sizes I already have in the file.

What has happened and how do I get around this? 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
barthbradley
in reply to: cadmunkey

Instance Properties/Parameter values won't be overridden. Is that what you are trying to overwrite?   

Message 3 of 18
cadmunkey
in reply to: barthbradley

No, I require a certain size beam adding to the project but I cannot add any new sizes to the project. The list of beams is not loading up to choose from when loading the structural beams family. Works perfect in 2019!

Message 4 of 18
barthbradley

Well, Revit is signaling you that the Beams you are trying to load are already loaded in the Project. Are you saying that the Beams are not listed under the Structural Framing Category in the Project Browser?  

Message 5 of 18
ennujozlagam

have you tried to manually re-install Revit 2020 content ? maybe this could be the reason refer to this LINK and see if help. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 6 of 18
cadmunkey

Yes this is exactly the problem. Its not loading any new structural sizes in, nor showing me the list to choose sizes from which is exactly how 2019 worked.

Message 7 of 18
cadmunkey

Attached screenshots, in Revit 2019 I get the list appearing and I am able to choose new beam sizes to insert into the model. In Revit 2020 I get a dialogue box saying the family is already inserted (yes I know) but no access to the framing list to choose new sizes to use. What am I doing wrong in 2020?

Message 8 of 18

I tried in 2020 but it seems fine. I can see the types dialog box to select needed beams.

Message 9 of 18

@dferreira-blackwell wrote:

I tried in 2020 but it seems fine. I can see the types dialog box to select needed beams.

Can you tell me exactly how you got to the list?

Is it a different way to do it in 2020?

Message 10 of 18
barthbradley

@cadmunkey : is the Type Catalog and the Family located in exactly the same folder? They must be.  Also, the Type Catalog and Family MUST USE THE EXACT SAME NAME.  

Message 11 of 18
cadmunkey

@barthbradley wrote:

@cadmunkey : is the Type Catalog and the Family located in exactly the same folder? They must be.  Also, the Type Catalog and Family MUST USE THE EXACT SAME NAME.  

Hi BarthBradley, your suggestion is correct, the type catalogue is missing and I do not know why. This is a brand new installation, so I am not sure why it is missing. Where can I get this file now, should I try reinstall?

Message 12 of 18
barthbradley

Do you have the Original Type Catalog?  If so, use that one. Type Catalogs are not Revit Version specific.  If it's the same name as the Family and in the same folder, it will work.  

Note: the only difference in naming between the Family and the Type Catalog is the extension. One is .rfa and the other is .txt

Message 13 of 18
cadmunkey

Great thanks, I will copy them over from my Revit 2019 install. Many thanks for your help, its been driving me nuts for a couple of days! 

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Just had the same problem myself, solved it by realising you have to select which beams to import from the list of types that comes up. when importing.

Message 15 of 18
cadmunkey
in reply to: Anonymous

Even though this was 18 months ago, you haven't had the same problem. If you read the original post the problem was that not all structural sizes were available to pick from the list when importing families. The issue was resolved by someone on here, and thankfully 2021 works perfectly.

Message 16 of 18
cadmunkey
in reply to: Anonymous

*duplicate post*

Message 17 of 18
LanceHayes5281

Hi, I've a similar problem but it seems only in one project? If I try to add another section size, click on Edit Type, click on Load, select  Metric Library/Steel Framing/Steel/British Standard & then when I select "UB-Universal Beams.rfa" it normally opens a list of section sizes to choose from. One project works but another I've inherited just takes me back to the Type Properties window? I'm going around in circles!!

Message 18 of 18
LanceHayes5281

There's a missing .txt file in 2020.2 upate - Autodesk appear to have removed the associated .txt file that goes with the .rfa file. Copy from "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2019\Libraries\UK\Structural Framing\Steel\British Standard" into 2020 folder and Bob's your uncle, or aunty, or whatever!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report