Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level Head with both Base point elevation and Survey elevation

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
HodBenYaakov
515 Views, 13 Replies

Level Head with both Base point elevation and Survey elevation

hello everyone.

Im trying to create a level head for my template and i want it to show both the Base point elevation and Survey elevation. 

i was trying to create it in the level head family template but it only has a us survey feet units.

is there something i can do to either change the setting of the units or maybe creating a new shared parameter with metric survey properties?

thanks and happy new year!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: HodBenYaakov

You can't create a single Level that references 2 different Elevation Bases.  You could create 2 different Levels that reference 2 different Elevation Bases.  

Message 3 of 14
HodBenYaakov
in reply to: barthbradley

It’s possible, I saw it in a project once but I can’t remember which project.

Message 4 of 14
barthbradley

You're going to have to show me what you saw.  Perhaps you saw some elaborate and impractical workaround. I can think of several elaborate and impractical workarounds.  

Message 5 of 14
HodBenYaakov

I’ll try to find it.

and I’d be happy to hear about your workarounds

Message 6 of 14
barthbradley

Maybe I misunderstood you. Is this what you want?

USft to M1.pngUSft to M2.png

Message 7 of 14
HodBenYaakov

I work in the metric system so what I wanted is to see the relative elevation and next to it in parentheses the metric survey elevation.

+3.00(345.10)

Message 8 of 14
barthbradley

@HodBenYaakov wrote:

I work in the metric system so what I wanted is to see the relative elevation and next to it in parentheses the metric survey elevation.

+3.00(345.10)

Side by side is easy.  What's the conversion factor?  Or are you saying what I initially thought you were saying; that you want the Level to reference 2 different Elevation Bases (e.g. distance from Survey Point and distance from Project Base Point)?  

Message 9 of 14
HodBenYaakov

what you initially said 

and I think that the conversion factor is 0.3048m

Message 10 of 14
barthbradley

@HodBenYaakov wrote:

what you initially said 

and I think that the conversion factor is 0.3048m

Well, as I said, you can't reference 2 Elevation Bases. The Elevation Base is a Type Property of the Datum.    

As for conversion from US Survey Feet to meters, I showed you above how to do that and 0.348 in the conversion factor I used.   The U.S. survey foot is defined as 1200/3937 meters. But if you don't work with US Survey Feet why does this matter? Besides, the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS) have discontinued the use of the U.S. survey foot and adopted the international foot as the only standard for linear measurements in the U.S. after December 31, 2022.  

Message 11 of 14
barthbradley
Message 12 of 14
HodBenYaakov

thanks for the help, i solved the problem by creating a shared parameter in the label of the level head family and made it as a type parameter.

after i loaded the family back into my project/template i created a project parameter with the same shared parameter that i used in the level head family and assigned it to the levels category.

after that, in the levels edit type, i typed the survey elevation value in the parameter that i've created and it worked.

Message 13 of 14
barthbradley

So, basically what you are saying is that the user manually types in an elevation value.  It's not actually "reporting" the distance from an elevation base.  You really think that'll work in the long run? Sounds problematic to me. Thanks for sharing though. Good luck with it. 

Message 14 of 14
HodBenYaakov

i could not find a way to make it a reporting parameter so i went with this method.

the 0.00 survey elevation of a project stays the same, but even if you need to change it for some reason you can do it manually, and it will update the rest of the levels according to your 0.00 elevation.

note:

this parameter controls only the levels, so you still need to change the survey elevation manually or acquire it from a link.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators