Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keynotes "Filter by Sheet" not working

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rfender3333
2884 Views, 11 Replies

Keynotes "Filter by Sheet" not working

Revit 2018, Keynotes, "Filter by Sheet" isn't working.  It used to work just fine, a couple versions ago.  There are two places I have found that reference "By Sheet".  One is in the Settings, accessed by going to the Annotate tab on Ribbon and selecting "Wrench" symbol, just above Keynote, in the Tags, sub-tabs on Ribbon.  From the pop-up window, you can select "By Sheet", but that is for Numbering Method.  The next option is when you go into the Keynote view from the Project Browser and pick on the Edit button, next to "Filter" in the Properties toolbox.  In the lower left hand corner of the pop-up window, there is a check box for "Filter by Sheet".  This option "SHOULD" allow for just the keynotes that are attached to the specific views, that are attached to a sheet, to appear on those sheets.  In my case, if the "Filter by Sheet" is In-checked, "ALL" the keynotes in the legend appear on all sheets that have a keynote legend.  If "Filter by Sheet" is checked, just the headings for the keynotes appear, with no keynote numbers or keynote text.  I'm using a .txt file that has my own keynotes.  But, the same results occur when using any of the default Revit keynote files.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: rfender3333

Filter by Sheet works.  You just need to place the Keynote Legend on Sheets to see it.  When you look at the schedule of course you won't see the right result because it is not specifically show for any particular sheet. 

Did I say place the Legend on Sheet?

Message 3 of 12
rfender3333
in reply to: ToanDN

I'm a professor at a community college, and the file and exercise is from my course that I have been using, with the written instructions for a number of years... 5 or more. I have had successful results from hundreds of students over the years. But recently, the results have been as described. We use my custom keynote file, as a text file (.txt), saved to the same location on computer that the default Revit keynotes are located. We use my pre-built Revit model / project as a starting point. We use my pre-built Title block. And we load the keynote file into the Revit project like we used to. We create a Keynote Legend, just like we used to. We apply keynotes to different elements within the different views, just like we used to. We then create a series of sheets (Site Plan, Lower Level Plan, Upper Level Plan, Exterior Elevations, Sections, and Details), by creating the sheet, placing the view on the sheet. We then place the Keynote Legend on the individual sheets. Everything looks great. But, all the keynotes for all the sheets appear on all the sheets... too long and not enough space. So, we check the box, "Filter by Sheet", in the "Edit" button / pop-up window for Filter in the Properties toolbox, for the Keynote Legend view. That is when all the data (keynote numbers and keynote text) disappear from "ALL" the sheet views.
Message 4 of 12
rfender3333

I'm a professor at a community college, and the file and exercise is from my course that I have been using, with the written instructions for a number of years... 5 or more.  I have had successful results from hundreds of students over the years.  But recently, the results have been as described.  We use my custom keynote file, as a text file (.txt), saved to the same location on computer that the default Revit keynotes are located.  We use my pre-built Revit model / project as a starting point.  We use my pre-built Title block.  And we load the keynote file into the Revit project like we used to.  We create a Keynote Legend, just like we used to.  We apply keynotes to different elements within the different views, just like we used to.  We then create a series of sheets (Site Plan, Lower Level Plan, Upper Level Plan, Exterior Elevations, Sections, and Details), by creating the sheet, placing the view on the sheet.  We then place the Keynote Legend on the individual sheets.  Everything looks great.  But, all the keynotes for all the sheets appear on all the sheets... too long and not enough space.  So, we check the box, "Filter by Sheet", in the "Edit" button / pop-up window for Filter in the Properties toolbox, for the Keynote Legend view.  That is when all the data (keynote numbers and keynote text) disappear from "ALL" the sheet views.

Message 5 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: rfender3333

Can you share a stripped down version of the file?  If it indeed happens I am surprised there isn't a hurricane of complaints from users using Keynote Legend.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

This same thing happened to us after our models have been upgraded from Revit 2017 to 2019.

Now all 5 models and all sheets within each model have the previously placed Keynote Legend not working. If I remove and replace the legend it still doesn't work but if I remove all the views from the sheet and place them back on individually then the Keynote legend starts working again.

I'm thinking this has to do with the upgrade and I fear that the only way to make it work is to go through every model removing and replacing views on sheets  which will take a long time

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The same thing is happening to us as well.

Message 8 of 12
SteveKStafford

Have you tried turning on/off the Crop Boundary and Annotation Crop? That has been suggested in the past to force a "refresh" when a legend fails to update. If the crop boundary is not cropped, then crop it. Does the legend refresh? If the Annotation Crop is not on, turn it on. Does it refresh?

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 9 of 12

Thanks, that worked.
Message 10 of 12
brett_73

i have the same problem on a revit 2020 file. most of the keynotes on the sheet do not show. 4 showed up. thisi swith filtering by sheet turned on.

- deleting the view from the sheet and replacing works and brought the fulll sheet keynotes back

@SteveKStafford suggestion of turning off "crop view" and "annotation crop" with in the view also works. then turning back on.
i tested just turning off annotation crop and that worked for me.

i have not noticed this problem in 2021 or 2022 so hopefully it has been fixed in later versions as it it makes keynoting pretty unreliable.

Message 11 of 12

Tried this tricks and it worked! Thanks!

Message 12 of 12
lcroomH7YCZ

No. That does not work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report