Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Roofs

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
georgehobel
1193 Views, 9 Replies

Joining Roofs

Trying to join a shed roof to the adjacent roof pitches on three sides... The process worked for two sides, but having trouble with the final join.  I just dont understand what the difference could be.  file attached.  The roof I'm trying to join is at the back of the house, small shed roof between two gables.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Sahay_R
in reply to: georgehobel

The problem is that the shed roof which needs to be joined to the gable sticks out. Here is what I did - I edited the sketch of the shed roof so that it intersects the gable the way that I want it, and then I used voids to cut the extra parts away.

To create Voids = Architecture>>Component>>Model In Place>>Void Object

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 10
georgehobel

Ok... that works for me. So much to learn. Some day I'll be really good at this.
George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 4 of 10
georgehobel
in reply to: Sahay_R

OK. I'm sitting down with my drawing again.  You said you sketched the shed roof far enough to the left so that t intersects fully with the steeper pitch.  Then you voided out the portion of the shed roof that I didnt need.  Im assuming you voided out only that portion of the shed that is not visible outside the building envelope.---OR---are you able to void out any portion of the shed roof that extends past the valley?  Even what could only be visible from inside the attic?  I will go work with it now, and that may answer my question, but if you have some insight to this that would help me greatly... Thank you..

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 5 of 10
Sahay_R

I dragged the sketch of the shed roof over the gable roof till it looked right in a 3D view. Then I created the void to cut away the extra part of the shed roof OUTSIDE the external wall. Whatever is inside the attic area would only come back to bite you when you cut sections - and in that case you can mask them out with a masking region.

Good luck!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

For your particular model, it is a tad more than just make one roof larger then cut it in order to make them all joined, see screencast and model.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/c83ac44b-53f4-409e-a316-ebcf63b7b19e

Message 7 of 10
georgehobel
in reply to: Sahay_R

that's what I would have expected... In this case it's ok, as I'm not going to be doing a section view of that portion, but I do need a good understanding of all the many different methods at my fingertips... Thank you for your thorough replies...  I will play with this tonight.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 8 of 10
georgehobel
in reply to: ToanDN

I noticed that you started your manipulation by stretching the upper roof towards the left most gable.  Just wanted to know if this was a better way to do it than what I had done. (FYI, the other front to back gable is a full vaulted ceiling, so I cannot have any leftover roof pieces hanging out up there) I have struggled a little bit when trying to get those roof planes to join.  Sometimes they go right together... other times, it seams that I must utter the secret password to achieve the results.....and somebody keeps changing the password.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 9 of 10
ToanDN

@georgehobel wrote:

I noticed that you started your manipulation by stretching the upper roof towards the left most gable.  Just wanted to know if this was a better way to do it than what I had done. (FYI, the other front to back gable is a full vaulted ceiling, so I cannot have any leftover roof pieces hanging out up there) I have struggled a little bit when trying to get those roof planes to join.  Sometimes they go right together... other times, it seams that I must utter the secret password to achieve the results.....and somebody keeps changing the password.

Enlarging the upper roof first is necessary so that it can cover the wider lower sash roof in order for the sash roof to join to it.  The enlarged roof still join cleanly with the other higher roof as before.  That is the beauty of using the Roof Join tool: you don't have to size the roof perfectly, as long the dominant roof surface wider than the secondary roof they will join.

Look at the revised model. 

Message 10 of 10
georgehobel
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you... I watched your presentation several times, and now I understand... Do you have any idea how helpful you guys are? 

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators