Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joing/Cutting Sweeps

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
revittesttimothy
1924 Views, 4 Replies

Joing/Cutting Sweeps

Hello everyone.

It seems to be a Issue for a lot of people. Joining two sweeps, or cutting one sweep.

My case is the following;

I have a window with two straight sides and two sides have an arc.
The frame meets at the corner and have an overlap.
I would like to join this two sweeps.
It is not possible and I have no idea what is the issue.
I also tried to cut the sweep with a simple void, but this is also not possible.

Could someone help me out with this?
Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You have complex family with a lot of curve and edges. My advice would be to split the window component into smaller parts so it can cut easily. Also the sweep object don't intersect properly. This is why you have issue with joining.

profile is not at the same place.png

To overcome this, I would simply miter the edge and then adjust your profile to suit your miter cut. See attached

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 5

Thank you very much for the reply!

Would you advise me to always make the void in a separate family when the model is complex like this?

I joined objects in other projects before. 2 times two identical objects. One pair could be joined, the other one would not be possible.

Is there any reference in what kind of objects REVIT can join?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5

Revit curve cut with void don't always work as indented. Often Revit would disjoin the curve surface whenever you have multiple void objects cut to the same curve. Even the same profile mirror over would disjoin without specific reason. It is very annoying. If I split identical curve as it own separate family and then nest it into the current family, it will behave properly.

If you want to make one of the nested family as seperate family, I would save as your current family and name it as different name family. Then you would remove all the other objects and just keep the part of the family. Load it in and then tie the parameter with the main family.

As for joining one family to another, it won't work in family environment. Often Generic model family will join with wall, floor, roof, column and other generic model.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 5 of 5

i would if revit sweep can be splited with the split command
and work with trim extend command

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report