Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to tag a line?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
giouvele
7233 Views, 16 Replies

Is there any way to tag a line?

I know that we can tag only 3D elements. Although,  I need to know if there is a way to tag lines.

Thank you in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
barthbradley
in reply to: giouvele

"Line"?  Thanks an interesting question.  Can you tell us more?

Message 3 of 17
biztrobill

Hi, @giouvele A couple of things come to mind.

Maybe you've tried inserting a User Keynote? You could use the free end option to place the keynote on a nearby object, and then move the leader so it points to the 2d line. 

Or I wonder if you could create a line-based family so the 2d line is actually a 3d object? I haven't tested it. 

Hope it helps. 

Bill Fowler NCARB
Revit LT Suite 2024
Mac M2 Pro Mini, Apple Studio Display; w/ macOS Ventura, Parallels 18, Windows 11. 32GB memory (Parallels assigns 16GB for Windows virtual machine)
Solo Architecture practice in residential and small commercial design.
Message 4 of 17
hmunsell

a line has not information to pull. you can place a piece of test and use a leader.

Capture.JPG Capture 2.JPG

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
bill_gilliss

What information about the line do you want to display in the tag?

Message 6 of 17
chughes

I have created line based Detail Item families, with different line weights, to augment details and have created a Multi-Category tag that references the Comment instance parameter to tag the line with.  I use them sparingly, mostly for context ('WALL EDGE BEYOND').  The Multi-Category tag matches the same tag I use for everything else, so my notes match and can 'see' each other for alignment purposes.

Message 7 of 17
giouvele
in reply to: bill_gilliss

Many thanks for the response and apologizes for the delay to answer back.

I need to tag some lines in plans and sections as well. For example, I want to show with a hidden line, at the plan in which areas I am having Movement Joint. The line will take place at the gap of the 20mm and I need to tell what this line represents.

I hope that I was clear enough.

Thank you for your interest.

Message 8 of 17
giouvele
in reply to: hmunsell

Thank you for your response.

Message 9 of 17
giouvele
in reply to: biztrobill

I need to tag some lines in plans and sections as well. For example, I want to show with a hidden line, at the plan in which areas I am having Movement Joint. The line will take place at the gap of the 20mm and I need to tell what this line represents.

To be honest, I would prefer to use a family.

Message 10 of 17
giouvele
in reply to: barthbradley

Hi,

I hope that I was clear enough.

Message 11 of 17
giouvele
in reply to: chughes

Before using this forum in order to find out how to tag a line, I tried myself with no success to make a family for this reason.

I saw that you have already sent me the family. Thank you very much for that.

I am a user of metric system and I cannot use it. Even though it was for metric, I would like to make it from scratch by myself to see how it works.

Then, I faced another problem…

giouvele_0-1589188818043.png

I can not open those two files… Am I missing something?

Message 12 of 17
giouvele

chughes,

Please, ignore my previous message.

I succeeded in making the Detail Item Family as you have suggested.

giouvele_0-1589202226182.png

And this is a plan that shows a slab which has a gap and in the middle of it, there is a hidden line which finally carries the tag.

giouvele_1-1589202226184.png

giouvele_2-1589202226187.png

I would like to ask one more question.

How could I make this hidden line with red color?

When I am into the family and go to:

Manage/Additional Settings/Line Styles, is not available.

giouvele_3-1589202226189.png

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Go to Manage, Object Styles.  You can override the line colour there, or create new types of lines.

Message 14 of 17
chughes

Not sure why you wouldn’t be able to open the .rfa files to create your own.  Someone else may be able to help with that.  But, you are on the right track. The detail item is very simple.  It serves as an object that can be placed and then tagged with a multi-category tag that looks at the 'Comment' parameter for the item.

Edit:  Oops, that’s what I get for not refreshing before posting a reply.  Ignore the above.

Message 15 of 17
chughes

I control the line type + color within the family, and have a few families to choose from, depending on the need.

2020-05-11 09_38_31-Div 01-General.jpg2020-05-11 09_38_11-Object Styles.jpg

Message 16 of 17
giouvele

Many thanks about your answer.

I opened the Detail Item family that I made and after selected the line: Manage \ Object Styles and change the colour from black to red.

Then, I imported the family to my project, but unfortunately there was no difference. Still the lines of the Detail Item family imported as black.

Instead of that and while I was inside my project:

VV\Detail Items\find on the list Hidden Lines\Projection/Surface on Lines list, I put colour RED.

I don't know if that is a good decision to make it like that, but for now it seems that it works.

Anyway, thank you again and keep on helping people.

The universe will give it back to you!

Message 17 of 17
giouvele
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators