Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there an easy and appropriate way to move entire project (building) close to Internal Origin

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
zhounnin
1921 Views, 26 Replies

is there an easy and appropriate way to move entire project (building) close to Internal Origin

i tried "Relocate Project", seems not work as expected, the reason is for BIM 360 (google) map location, seems the Revit project address will only respect Revit Internal Origin (not sure yet?), so correct project address doesn't necessarily mean correct BIM 360 (google) map location, maybe factory should clarify on this issue?! 

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
barthbradley
in reply to: zhounnin

Why?  It's a sincere question.  

Message 3 of 27
barthbradley

..let me ask it another way: how far from the Project's Internal Origin is your building modeled?  Is it sitting in another time/weather zone?  

Message 4 of 27
zhounnin
in reply to: barthbradley

thanks barthbradley, well, in fact, it's about 100 meter from building so it may not be related to Internal Origin, most likely it's related to survey point, so my 2 separate questions:

1) how to "move" building close to Internal Origin? or more specifically how to "move" Survey and/or Project Base Point close to Internal Origin (if already used Shared Coordinates approach)?

2) for BIM 360 map location, seems correct project address alone is not enough, in my case, building will be in the middle of pacific ocean even though my project address is correct in Revit, as i said, large numbers of Survey Point (due to using Shared Coordinates approach) may be the reason, so how to fix it?

Message 5 of 27
ToanDN

@zhounnin wrote:

thanks barthbradley, well, in fact, it's about 100 meter from building so it may not be related to Internal Origin, most likely it's related to survey point, so my 2 separate questions:

1) how to "move" building close to Internal Origin? or more specifically how to "move" Survey and/or Project Base Point close to Internal Origin (if already used Shared Coordinates approach)?

You have to select all model elements and move them.  Or link the model in another file, move and bind the link.  The new file would be your working model.  However, I wouldn't do it unless your model is more than 10 miles (16 km) from the Internal Origin.  

2) for BIM 360 map location, seems correct project address alone is not enough, in my case, building will be in the middle of pacific ocean even though my project address is correct in Revit, as i said, large numbers of Survey Point (due to using Shared Coordinates approach) may be the reason, so how to fix it?

I am not familiar with BIM360 Map so I can't answer. 

Message 6 of 27
zhounnin
in reply to: ToanDN

thanks ToanDN.

for question 2, perhaps people from factory can chip in?

Message 7 of 27
barthbradley

You're confusing the crap out of me. 

What does this statement mean: "100 meter from building so it may not be related to Internal Origin, most likely it's related to survey point"?  

What is "BIM 360 (google) map location"?  

What do you mean by: "large numbers of Survey Point (due to using Shared Coordinates approach)"?

What do you mean by: "building will be in the middle of pacific ocean even though my project address is correct"?  

Regarding your thread title: "is there an easy and appropriate way to move entire project (building) close to Internal Origin"; that depends.  But before we go there, I'm curious to know why moving it 100 meters matters so.  Sounds like it will still be in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, albeit off center a bit.  

Message 8 of 27
zhounnin

as i said, 2 separate issues.

originally i thought it's related to Revit Internal Origin, since it's only 100 meter away from building, so it's not related, but i still want to know the easy way to move building close to Revit Internal Origin.

after i viewed building in BIM 360 via google map, i found it's far far away from project address EVEN THOUGH it's correctly set in Revit, so i thought it's maybe related to large values of N/W and E/W in Survey Point due to using Shared Coordinates approach.

Message 9 of 27
barthbradley

How do you view a building in BIM 360 via google map?  

Message 10 of 27
zhounnin

i wrote Forge app using Google Map API, i tested w/ Autodesk sample Revit file, works OK, but not the Revit project i'm currently working on.

Message 11 of 27
barthbradley

Well, thanks for that clarification.  

Sounds like the title of this thread should be:

"i wrote Forge app using Google Map API, i tested w/ Autodesk sample Revit file, works OK, but not the Revit project i'm currently working on"

I doubt this has anything to do with the Internal Origin of your Project. 

Good luck to you.  

Message 12 of 27
RobDraw

@zhounnin wrote:

perhaps people from factory can chip in?

Doubtful. Direct contact with Autodesk is best achieved through other avenues. These forums are hardly monitored, never mind getting any Autodesk employee to respond and the ones that do are not in development.

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 27
RDAOU

@zhounnin wrote:

i wrote Forge app using Google Map API, i tested w/ Autodesk sample Revit file, works OK, but not the Revit project i'm currently working on.

To my knowledge, Google Map API would be fetching the location from your project address (neither the survey, not the internal origin)

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 14 of 27
zhounnin
in reply to: RDAOU

that's what factory (one of Forge development team) told me, but seems not always the case, especially when shared coordinates is used, hope anyone here or factory can verify it?!

Message 15 of 27
barthbradley

On the Location Tab of Location and Site, is your Define Location by  "Get Location from Survey Point"?  

Message 16 of 27
zhounnin

i don't see that option of "Get Location from Survey Point"

zhounnin_0-1627610691557.png

Message 17 of 27
barthbradley

Okay. Just checking.  Scratch that one off the list.   

Message 18 of 27
ToanDN

@barthbradley wrote:

On the Location Tab of Location and Site, is your Define Location by  "Get Location from Survey Point"?  

One would need B.S. API to get that.  Bing Service or whatever...

Message 19 of 27
barthbradley

@ToanDN wrote:

@barthbradley wrote:

One would need B.S. API to get that.  Bing Service or whatever...

Exactly!

GIS.png

Message 20 of 27
zhounnin

if that's the case then my guess is that Revit default set to "Get Location from Survey Point" as Revit is actually using Bing, that makes no sense in my opinion as project address w/ lattitude and longitude already specify exact project location, so how to change that default of "Get Location from Survey Point" if that's the case?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators