Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal origin problem after update

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
agishUUVVL
2958 Views, 33 Replies

Internal origin problem after update

While working on a project this morning I decided to close it and install 2 Revit updates. Now that the updates are installed it seems to have moved my project off of the internal origin and I cant get it to go back. I have the project base point and survey point set correctly but all my plans are zoomed way out even if I have the crop view on because of the internal origin.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34

I shared a revised Dyn (to run with Dynamo Player) that will run without warnings.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 22 of 34

Thank you for the effort but that is just a temporary workaround a bad feature.  I have removed the update by reinstalling Revit 2020 and everything is back to normal. I will think twice next time I'm offered an update.

Message 23 of 34

That's a bit extreme response, but it is your call. How many projects are active in 2020 right now?

FWIW, the issue is simple to resolve, and NOT temporary, after opening the project(s) in 2020.2 (use the Dyn I shared) or use/adjust your View Templates. Once done, the issue isn't anymore.

We probably spend more time adjusting Views and related View Templates on projects any given day, just tackle it when you're there anyway. It doesn't print. The only reason it bothered me at all was that it affects zoom all.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 24 of 34
hmunsell
in reply to: ToanDN

when I noticed the new Internal Origin after doing the update I just went in and updated my View Templates, Done... I let me users know about the issue and told them to Transfer Project Standards the VT's from the master template.

What annoys me is the inability to paperclip the PBP anymore. it just seems to be free floating and doesn't seem to be "managing" anything. best you can do is Pin it.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 25 of 34
SteveKStafford
in reply to: hmunsell

The clip was an illusion and actually did what people didn't understand, which was move the shared coordinate system away from the project origin. Good riddance. Now the PBP does what it only ever did...provide a local coordinate system to the spot coordinate annotation tool.

Message 26 of 34
stever66

The solution posted in #18 doesn't work for linked files.  If you are linking any files, I guess you will have to go to every veiw and turn off the internal site origin.

In fact, it doesn't look like Revit even has the ability yet to automate the control of linked file graphics.  (You can write a program that turns off the entire link, but it doesn't sound like there is any access to control individual view categories.)

Message 27 of 34
SteveKStafford
in reply to: stever66

The dyn I shared (for using with Dynamo Player) will turn off internal origin, survey point, and project base point in the host file. If linked files are not overridden then we won't see them in the host file either. Yes, we have to use the dyn (Dynamo Player) on each file to turn them off in the file itself. Nothing we do to a link from a host actually alters the linked file.

Message 28 of 34
stever66
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I’m sure that’s true if the view is by either host view, or linked view.

But if we have custom graphics overrides selected for the linked view, we are going to have to manually turn off the internal origin from the host file.

i can see why anyone with a very large project could be really mad about this.

I just hoping this isn’t an ongoing problem our project template keeps bringing up.

Message 29 of 34
ef.
Observer

Sry to say but this is not a solution. Autodesk you need to fix this!

Message 30 of 34
ToanDN
in reply to: ef.

@ef. wrote:

Sry to say but this is not a solution. Autodesk you need to fix this!

It is the solution to turn off the Internal Origin in a view.  Feel free to start a new topic asking how to turn it off for every view / every link and not accept anything as a solution to make your point.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 31 of 34
kristen
in reply to: Alex_Figueres

How can I turn off the internal origin if I do not have Dynamo?

Message 32 of 34
RobDraw
in reply to: kristen

See message #13.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 33 of 34
mosermilioris
in reply to: agishUUVVL

This isn't a solution, you still have to go to every view to remove in Visibility/Graphics. I want to turn it off for the whole project..

Message 34 of 34
ACC-BIM
in reply to: agishUUVVL

Autodesk have created a very ruinous outcome for many multi platform users in the UK by introducing an Internal Origin that the Project Base Point cannot be Clipped or Pinned to whilst having geolocated Ordnance Survey coordinates applied to it. This was not the case for all previous Revit versions including Revit 2020.1

There is a solution that I used today and in the past, that retains Project Base Point at Internal Origin, but crucially allows the Ordnance Survey Coordinates in millimetres to be applied to it.

1) Open Revit 2019 or earlier

2) Create a new Revit project using any template .RTE

3) In a 3D view turn on the visibility of Site>Project Base Point and Site>Survey Point (Internal Origin is absent)

4) Select the Project Base Point and enter N/S: 155550000.0 and W/E: 484100000.0(mm)

5) Zoom All, select the Survey Point, Unclip it and Move it using Snap Point(SX) to the Project Base Point

6) Re-clip the Survey Point at the Project Base Point (which is at the old 'invisble' Startup Location/Origin)

7) Now Save this Revit file using a name like "Project Coordinates" and Close it

😎 In Revit 202.2 or later open the new Revit Project or Create one

9) Open a default 3D View and turn on the Visibility of Site>Project Base Point and Site>Survey Point

10) From Insert>Link Revit browse to the "Project Coordinates" file you just created

11) Set Positioning to be Auto - Project Base Point to  Project Base Point

12) Go to Manage>Coordinates>Acquire Coordinates and point where the Project Base Point is to select the Link

13) Your Revit 2020.2 or later Project Base Point remains at the Internal Origin but does not move from it

14) Zoom All, select the Survey Point, Unclip it and Move it using Snap Point(SX) to the Project Base Point

15) Save your Revit project 

The outcome of this is that IFC / NWC Exports will have your 3D model geometry positioned relative to the UK (or other) coordinate grid system intersection and the Revit Origin. This removes all of the issues people are having when federating models in Navisworks and effectively reinstates the model set up process required in the UK for many years now.

Please leave feedback on the success of this, and if there is a way to achieve the same outcome without using earlier version of Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators