Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of Revit 2017 Content Libraries

62 REPLIES 62
SOLVED
Message 1 of 63
IMCornish
114226 Views, 62 Replies

Installation of Revit 2017 Content Libraries

I have read solutions for the installation of 2015 and 2016 Revit Content libraries which apparently also apply to 2017 but since the first step is to find 'Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2017' in your Control Panel's 'Programs and Features' and it does not exist I would ask how do you actually install the Revit 2017 Content?

See snipit below of my 'Programs and Features':

Revit Content 00.JPG

Revit 2017 is installed, as can be seen, but no Content Library!

Any ideas

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
62 REPLIES 62
Message 21 of 63
wally111
in reply to: Tony_Michniewicz

thanks tony

Finally i fixed it.

Walter

Message 22 of 63
Anonymous
in reply to: IMCornish

hi, im from Brazil, i´ve got the same issue, may you help me sending the we transfer to dowload some libraries?

i need the Brazilian Portuguese Library, for revit 2017 and others metrics in English, German and Spanish.

best regards,

thank you

Filipe Eibel

Message 23 of 63
Anonymous

Hi, Tony. I selected New Zealand, US imperial and Metric library contents when downloading, but I only the two US library contents, the New Zealand file is empty. Any solution, please?
Message 24 of 63
Anonymous

Kia Ora! Please also upload New Zealand content libraries. As I download Content Libraries of 2017 Revit, I can only get US Metric and Imperial, but empty folder for Australia, UK and New Zealand, even though I chose content library list for these countries. As all 'the families' are linked to New Zealand folder, I have to manually upload family information from other US folders one by one. This is really annoying. LOL. Any solution for this problem, please?

Message 25 of 63
Anonymous

Hi Tony -

BDSP user, no content library. I need a real fix, something that can be installed by my 60yr old father.

Thanks,

Scott

Message 26 of 63
jwp0015

IMCornish, can you post an updated link to the 2017 US content libraries? We're having trouble with our network install not extracting or installing files and I'd love to stop pointing Revit to old files.

Thanks!

Message 27 of 63
Anonymous

Hi Tony, I already have Revitt 2017 installed but missing the library so I did what you posted but it is taking a while to download. Is it really like this?

Message 28 of 63

4. Copy the master.rlt.xml file that was extracted in step 1 and paste it into the C:\Autodesk\WI\Autodesk Revit LT 2017\Content\Revit folder.

I don't have a "Content\Revit" folder. It simply doesn't exist.

Revit 2017 was finally installed after two weeks wasted.

I use Windoew 10.

I  do not have a "Content" folder any where within the Autodesk folders.

The Control Panel says the Content libraries are installed but give no path or location as to WHERE they are....

So, How do I SOLVE this issue?

18 months later and there still is no solution to this issue.

Message 29 of 63
Anonymous
in reply to: david.brown28

This is just absolutely ridiculous, how can autodesk charge this much for a product and make it this difficult. I have wasted an entire day now and I still don't have any content.

Message 30 of 63
david.brown28
in reply to: Anonymous

It IS insane.
Notice how they stopped responding to the myriad of complaints?
Any queries to Autodesk gets you directed to the stock reinstall page which has failed for me countless times.
I have tried any and ALL of the options on this thread and none of them have worked.
I was told to feel fortunate to have the option to use the Student software, but that is utter BS if the software doesn't work.
I can only conclude that Autodesk has left everyone to sink or swim and has no intention of providing a fix for this continuing problem with an essential component of their software.
I cannot count the number of times I have tried the uninstall-reinstall method.
The only thing that exceeds that is the number of times I have been directed to the stock answer page that has led to the multiple failures in the first place.
I specifically requested that I NOT BE directed to the failed steps and guess what? That is exactly what they did.

The arrogance and disdain expressed to ALL users, student or paying, is astonishing.

Message 31 of 63
Anonymous

I finally got my issue solved, I ended up havin to let them remote in to my computer. The issue took 6 hours to resolve.
Message 32 of 63
Anonymous

I tried this, everything seems to be in place.  But the family template files still have not loaded after reinstalltion.  I'm not sure where I may have went wrong.

Message 33 of 63
Anonymous

I have followed  all steps reported in all topics found to solve this issue.

1) Copy the master.rvt.xml  file  and reinstall revit :  NO SUCCESS 

2) unistall  the registry entries   and   reinstall  revit content libraries 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\0D03014900510140000018B83BA859CF
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\0D03014900510140000018B83BA859CF

: NO SUCCES

3) download the  full installation  instead of using  the web installer :  NO SUCCESS 

4) Using the Microsoft uninstaller  to remove the Revit Content  installer  and reinstall : NO SUCCESS 

I have no clue  what to do more , is it possible that to have these **** libraries installed I have to loose so much time ?  

Please a solution different from the above ones 

Message 34 of 63
Tony_Michniewicz

I understand the frustration that many of you are experiencing with this problem. To date, we've only been able to reproduce this issue with the Revit LT 2017 web installer, which sporadically fails to download the master.rlt.xml file. However, we are still trying to identify why so many of you continue to experience problems with the installation of the Revit content libraries.

My first recommendation would be to use the following steps to install your Revit content libraries:

1. Verify that any existing Revit content libraries installations have been properly uninstalled. You should be able to accomplish this through the uninstall a program option in the Windows Control Panel.
  2. Enable verbose logging, which is covered on this page.
  3. Delete all files in the Windows temp folder, which can be accessed by typing %temp% in the Windows Explorer address bar.
  4. Delete any files that remain in the C:\Autodesk\Autodesk_Revit_2017_English_Win_64bit_dlm folder (or C:\Autodesk\Revit_LT_2017_G1_R1_Win_64bit_dlm for Autodesk Revit LT).
  5. Temporarily disable any virus scanning software.
  6. Visit the Autodesk Virtual Agent page.
  7. Click the Download Links option in the right pane.
  8. Scroll down and click the Revit Products link.
  9. Click the Autodesk Revit link (or Autodesk Revit LT if appropriate).
  10. Download the Part 1 and Part 2 files for Autodesk Revit 2017 (or Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 for Autodesk Revit LT).
  11. Once the download of these files is complete, double-click the Autodesk_Revit_2017_English_Win_64bit_dlm_001_002.sfx.exe file (or Revit_LT_2017_G1_R1_Win_64bit_dlm_001_003.sfx.exe for Autodesk Revit LT).
  12. In the Extract To dialog, click OK.
  13. When the Autodesk Self-Extract process is complete, the Autodesk Revit installer will launch. Walk through the installation until you get to the Configure Installation page.
  14. Expand the Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2017 product entry.
  15. Verify that the list of content packs is populated and at least one of the content packs is selected.
  16. Collapse the Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2017 product entry.
  17. Click Install.

NOTE: Remember to re-enable your virus scanning software if it was previously disabled.

When the installation is complete, open Windows Explorer and go to the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017 folder (or C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RLT 2017 for Revit LT) and see if the appropriate content folders were created and populated. If not, please go to your Windows temp folder and collect the cp_install.log and Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2017 install.log files. Add these log files to a zip file and upload it for review. Additionally, answers to the following questions would be helpful:

• What operating system, including language, is running on this computer?
  • What is the home location setting on this computer? The answer to this question can be accessed through the Clock, Language, and Region settings in the Windows Control Panel.
  • Which content packs are you selecting for installation?
  • Is Revit being installed from physical media (DVD or USB), web installer, download manager, or browser download? If you are installing Revit from an Autodesk suite, which one?

While we continue our investigation, another suggestion would be to try the installation on another system and see if it is successful. If this works, you can copy the content files from this system. I understand that this is not a real solution but it may help you get your Revit content sooner than later and it may prove helpful in our troubleshooting efforts where we could concentrate on the differences between these systems.

And one final suggestion, by default the Revit content libraries are installed to the C:\ProgramData folder. To eliminate the possibility that the installation of Revit content libraries are failing due to restrictions on this folder, you may want to try the following:

1. In Windows Explorer, create a folder named RVT_Content on one of your local hard drives.
  2. Launch the Revit install and proceed until you get to the Configure Installation page.
  3. Expand the Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2017 product entry and scroll to the bottom where the location of the configurable folders can be modified.
  4. Select each of the groups in this list, then click one of the Default values in the Mode column, which should produce a dropdown menu.
  5. Select Local from the dropdown menu.
  6. Click the empty space in the one of the fields in the Path column, which should produce a Browse button (icon with three dots).
  7. Click the Browse button.
  8. Browse to the location of the RVT_Content folder created in step 1 and click OK. As an example, C:\RVT_Content.
  9. Click Append.
  10. Collapse the Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2017 product entry.
  11. Click Install.

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 35 of 63
Anonymous

As an update, I followed the instructions to do a clean uninstall to completely remove it from my system.  When I went back through the normal installation process it worked without a problem.  I am not sure if that is a fluke or not.

Message 36 of 63
Anonymous

Thanks, Tony!

After two days of struggle your article finally fixed the problem and the Family Templates have been installed.

A coworker phoned the customer service - but while being very friendly and cooperative their ideas didn't fix the issue.  How about adding your article to their database?

Regards,

Dietrich

Message 37 of 63
Anonymous

mistake
Message 38 of 63
Anonymous

@Tony_Michniewicz wrote:

We've recently identified a sporadic issue that will result in content not being installed via the Revit LT 2017 web installer. After our investigation, we found that a required content file is not always included in the extracted files and its absence results in the installation bypassing Revit content files. We are investigating the root cause of this problem and hope to have a resolution in place soon. Until then, the following steps will allow you to work around this issue:

1. From this post, download the Revit_2017_MasterXML.zip file and extract the contents to a local folder.
  2. Download and run the Revit LT 2017 web installer, Revit_LT_2017_G1_Win_64bit_wi_en-US_Setup.exe.
  3. When the initial Autodesk Revit LT dialog is displayed, click Cancel.
  4. Copy the master.rlt.xml file that was extracted in step 1 and paste it into the C:\Autodesk\WI\Autodesk Revit LT 2017\Content\Revit folder.
  5. Launch the Revit LT 2017 installer using the Revit_LT_2017_G1_Win_64bit_wi_en-US_Setup_webinstall.exe that should reside in your Downloads folder or the folder to which the original Revit_LT_2017_G1_Win_64bit_wi_en-US_Setup.exe was downloaded.
  6. Step through the installation and when you get to the product selection page, expand the Revit LT 2017 Content Libraries entry and verify that the list of content packs is populated and at least one of the underlying option is selected.
  7. Collapse the Revit LT 2017 Content Libraries entry and click Install.

At this point, we've only seen this problem occur with the Revit LT 2017 web installer but based on the numerous reports of Revit content installation problems, a similar problem may impact other Revit versions, including previous releases. For this reason, I've attached zip files that contain the master XML files for each version of Revit 2015, 2016, and 2017. Once the appropriate master XML file is extracted and copied to the appropriate ...\Content\Revit folder, the installation of Revit content should complete successfully.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Dear Tony,

How to proceed if installation media is an .iso file of Revit 2016 ? In content\revit there is a master file as in the picture. I had issues with missing families and uninstalled Content Libraries. I need structural families.

Regards 

Untitled.jpg

Message 39 of 63
adamatt

Tony,

Can you pleas attach masterxml.zip for revit_2018?

Thx

Message 40 of 63
Anonymous

Was this issue solved in the 2018 LT release? as i have a customer who is experiencing this and is thinking that as he has to uninstall anyways upgrading to 2018 instead and if this solves the issue this will make my support life easier 😛

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report