Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency on toposolid Net Cut/Fill in RVT 2025

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
PedroAndruccioli
869 Views, 4 Replies

Inconsistency on toposolid Net Cut/Fill in RVT 2025

I subscribed to the Preview, but wasn't able to take the time and test the toposolid updates. Just a quick tryout, and I would be happy to be wrong: Excavated Volume does not help on calculations. It's not enough to know the size of a hole. The way toposurfaces worked (cut, fill and net cut/fill) is the only correct way to do this.

So I tried doing a first simple task, and my Schedule went haywire. I created a toposolid in Existing phase, did a Graded Region and proceeded working. If I keep both toposolids with the same perimeter, all good:

PedroAndruccioli_0-1712233261662.png

PedroAndruccioli_2-1712233307028.png

But if I slice the New toposolid (no changes in overall perimeter), this happens:

PedroAndruccioli_3-1712233376918.png

PedroAndruccioli_5-1712233396238.png

Nothing is even moved, I just sliced it as one should (probably) do to design a proper site with multiple materials.

Is there a dumb workaround? Of course. Just double the work and also slice the original toposolid at the exact same spot:

PedroAndruccioli_6-1712233536325.png

I didn't check the math, so it could be right or wrong, will do it eventually and find out. Apparently Revit is cutting twice for every time you slice the toposolid. For every new slice, things get even crazier, without any consistency whatsoever:

PedroAndruccioli_7-1712233966592.png

Summarizing: TopoSolids are still broken and are not fit to replace the might and magic of TopoSurfaces.

Labels (7)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I found this after a Google search.  First off I'm surprised nobody yet replied. 

If the issue with cut fill is still there, this is unacceptable for a professional tool at this price. 

Let's hope there will maybe be some update on this and maybe a  fix?

Message 3 of 5

Yes. Problem begins from 2024. Toposolid still cannot analyse Cut/fill. Because still using now 2023. Just for earth work. Another parts already moving forward...

Message 4 of 5
Liu.Emma
in reply to: PedroAndruccioli

Good day Sir, The cut/fill volume calculations for toposolid are based on the two solid elements before and after grade region. Your feedback is well received. We will prioritize the tasks and will keep you updated if any progress made.

Best Regards.

Message 5 of 5

This is a huge Revit failure.  First time I've every felt like an update was a big step backwards.  Before I could quickly grade a site and use building pad for cut and fill (very important when you have a sloped site where the basement might be half cut and half fill).  I could quickly get cut and fill data and make choices based on the best placement on the because of that. 

There are features I like about Toposolids.  Makes it easier to add a driveway that is elevated from the surface or to use subdivisions for the materials .  I like what I could do for pools and lakes with it.  But we must have accurate cut/fill calculations and something that functions like the building pads- should be the very top Revit priority right now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report