Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 3D AutoCAD model into Revit

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
137204 Views, 28 Replies

Import 3D AutoCAD model into Revit

i have a 3d model created in autocad , i am trying to import it to revit , as you know it comes in as a block i need it to come in or be converted to a normal version so things can be selected indivdualy.

can anyone think of a solution ??? 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

Actually I had used that solution but that family not visible in 3d model view, even i checked all the possibility like Visibility graphics and all these things. ultimately i linked that CAD 3d model in revit and got desired output.

Message 22 of 29
gmadjedi
in reply to: Anonymous

Totally forgot about this post and figured perhaps somebody might benefit from the solution I found.

The 3D Autocad files I was getting from American Building Corporation, generated from Tekla were far from ideal, however when I asked if they could provide an IFC what I received worked perfectly.

• I was able to open the IFC as a new project and edit individual components.
  • I then linkedCONCRETE AND METAL.JPG that into my building model and the results are amazing. The file sent was huge but I was able to remove many of the smaller items I didn't need.  Still huge but definitely an advantage in coordination that has avoided a bunch of field issues.

Good luck.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilvK

This saved me so much time! Thank you!

Message 24 of 29
dengjsh-baju

really helpful,thank you!
I have one problem, sometimes when partial explode the imported file object, just nothing left
Message 25 of 29
dm0144

@GHASEM_ARIYANI can you please share screen cast of the steps. I am not familiar with the first and second step.

Message 26 of 29
dm0144

@GHASEM_ARIYANI Can you please share screen cast of the steps.

I followed the steps and when I imported the mass family into the project in Revit I couldn't select the individual elements, only the entire family as a block, even if I exploed the imported cad file inside the mass family.

Besides, is it important if the individual elemnts in the cad file are Mesh or Solid?

Message 27 of 29
dm0144

Can you please share a screencast of the steps. When I loaded the mass family into the project file in Revit, I still couldn't select the individual element of the mass family, only the entire family as a block even when I exloded the imported cad inside the mass family.

Besides, is it important if the element in the imported Cad file are Mesh or Solid?
Message 28 of 29
tara_nelson

ok, i did this and needed to save the drawing file to 2010 because I'm working in 2017 revit but 2024 cad.  I need to do that because the customer didn't advise what revit version they have and need me to use.  

Message 29 of 29
gmadjedi
in reply to: tara_nelson

I've now been retired for 6 months so somebody else needs to take the lead on this issue 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators