Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to subtract in Table schedule?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
alexandresynth
967 Views, 18 Replies

How to subtract in Table schedule?

I am calcularing the volume of earh in project, this 10026.55m³ is the original land, and the others are the new toposolids in the right soil height.

If i could subtract the blue values from the original volume of the terrain i could know how much earth need to be removed from the terrain.

If i ask Revit to calculate, the only calculus it does it a sum, which brought me the total of 16822.96m³, but this values does not says anything for me, it should subtract.

Anyone knows how to do it?

alexandresynth_0-1719090573262.png

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Why don't you use a Graded Region Workflow and Schedule Cut/Fill? 

Help | Create a Graded Region | Autodesk

What Version of Revit are you using?   

Message 3 of 19

Very good question my friend.

And the answer is the I am using, that is how i keep track of how much is the original volume or earth before the construction, but i cant use only it because i need sidewalks, streets, gardens and each of these entities need differente hights. Toposolid dont understand 90º angle, i cant put 2 height points in same place but with different heights (unless if i use create mass, void and cut), but i will need to use a lot of voids and masses I am trying to avoid.

I also can just do a subdivision for the sidewalks, streets, etc, but I need keep track of area and volume of each floor (sidewalk, street, garden) and it need to be contabilized from the original land because all these data go to a schedule table.

So the only way i found to do it right is first divide the toposolid in the shape of each floor, after create subdivision with the right height of each floor and make a simple mathematic count to find the difference of exiting and future shape of earth terrain volume.

Message 4 of 19

Okay, I get. You have your own way of doing things. What do you need from us?  

Message 5 of 19

Read the title of post again.

Message 6 of 19

@alexandresynth wrote:

Read the title of post again.

Re: How to subtract in Table schedule?

Okay. Done.  Do I get a prize?  

😉

Message 7 of 19

I need to give a thickness to the subdivision, sum these thicknesses and then subtract from the volume of the original terrain.

This is the only way to do because Revit does not count the subdivision in the graded region.

Message 8 of 19
yes_and_no
in reply to: alexandresynth

Sounds like you are doing work of a civil engineer, who I guess has their own way or specific app of Revit for that purpose.

The calculation for architect regarding this matter normally seems less complicated due to liability issue. Can you simply do a manual subtraction ? Or better yet create a parameter that can do such subtraction ? It can be fun.

Message 9 of 19
alexandresynth
in reply to: yes_and_no

Well, i dont know, i know that i never wait for other people to do because they always do everything wrong.

Except structural calculus, that for sure me as an Architect wouldn't do.

I am doing the general plan, the implantation, i dont know what word in English you use for this type of project, is the project that you see the whole building from above.

Me, as the architect i need to project all the interations with the building, the sidewalks, garden, street, entrance, etc, etc...

I have control of the whole project, how can the engineer just magically get the right volume of movimented earth after i finished? He just can't. The one who can provide this volume is the one who did the project IFFFFFFFFFF the person did it right from the the beggining, from the first line, which is what i am trying to do.

Message 10 of 19

Can you tell me how much m³ of earth do i need to remove from original terrain in order to place the street?

I sent the test .rvt file below

Message 11 of 19

@alexandresynth wrote:

Can you tell me how much m³ of earth do i need to remove from original terrain in order to place the street?

I sent the test .rvt file below

Looks like 5011.16 m3 - give or take. How are you going to mitigate those steep slopes? Retaining Walls?  If not, a heck of a lot more earth is going to need to be moved. 

Toposolid-C&F1.png

Toposolid-C&F2.png

Toposolid-C&F3.png

Message 12 of 19

Yea yea, dont worry the earth around this is just a test...is not a real project

How did you reach 5011.16 m3?

Keep in mind that the only part that should count as cut is volume of the subdivision (if is located below the level of the existent earth), that represents the floor with its right tickness, in other hand the only part that should count as fill-in is the toposolid below the subdivision (if its located above the level of the existent earth).

I am doing some tests to put in prove if the count of earth movimentation of Revit really works in a real combat situation and not only on those beautiful scenarios that we see in youtube videos, and to be true so far it does not works. Because works only as long as i have a very simplified project with only 1 toposolid and without anyfloor, but as soon as i add floors Revit just does not have answer to deal with that.

Revit does not include in count of cut/ fill-in the subdision, which is good when i am calculating the fill-in, once the subdivision is the floor itself and not earth, we need fill-in with earth and not floor, its ok so far, but when we need calculate cut we need the volume of the floor, and we cant just count the whole volume of the floor because perhaps, depending the terrain relief not all floor will be placed in a place that is below the level of the original earth, maybe a part yes and a part not.

I hope i am wrong, am I?

If yes, show me please.

Message 13 of 19

I did a test, check it out these results:

alexandresynth_1-1719230302415.png

I created a simple 10x10x1 toposolid as existent and created a grated region as new.

alexandresynth_2-1719230493414.png

In the new construction phase, in one side i reduced 50cm (from 1m tickness to 0,5m), and as we can see the cut marks 25m³, so far so good.

alexandresynth_3-1719232458996.png

In the existing one i reduced the oposite side by 0,5m

So, in theory we should have:

25m³ cut

25m³ fill

0m³ net fill

Right??

Well, lets see what we have:

alexandresynth_4-1719232625909.png

What is happening here is that one side is canceling the other, but it should NEVER happen, imagine this in large scale in a real situation of construction, we need moviment 500m³ of earth, so we need pay machinery to move this earth, if we will need to remove or not this each from the terrain is a different question, but only the movement of the earth itself should also be documented.

Message 14 of 19

@alexandresynth wrote:

So, in theory we should have:

25m³ cut

25m³ fill

0m³ net fill

Right??

I don't understand your thinking.    

TopoConfusion.png 

Message 15 of 19

Revit is counting wrong, i cutted 25m³ one side, add 25m³ the other side in existent and projected area respectively, and instead of show 25 add, 25 cut and 0 net Revit says all zero, because he is canceling one 25m³ with the other 25m³. Did you do the test?

Message 16 of 19

@alexandresynth wrote:

Revit is counting wrong, i cutted 25m³ one side, add 25m³ the other side in existent and projected area respectively, and instead of show 25 add, 25 cut and 0 net Revit says all zero, because he is canceling one 25m³ with the other 25m³. Did you do the test?

I don't understand anything you said here, but I get the gist of it.  You think Revit is "counting wrong". Can you post something that proves this?  An RVT?    

...is this what you're talking about?  If so, Revit is counting just fine . 6.25 cubic meters of earth is being moved.  

Revit not Counting Correctly.png

Message 17 of 19

Revit not Counting Correctly2.png

Message 18 of 19
arqyt
in reply to: alexandresynth

Hello,

I propose my approach to modeling the process. It's in my language, but you can activate automatic subtitles. I have spent time looking for a REAL and constructive solution.

https://youtu.be/UKHPJpM2mgU?si=dvefPGsG5yNQH8JC

I think it can help you.

Greetings

Jose M Carralero.
ArqyT
Comparto conclusiones de como ejecutar los movimientos de tierras en revit 2024 y 2025, y poder realizar una medición pormenorizada de excavaciones y rellenos por elementos
Message 19 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: arqyt

I'm not going to watch or translate your video. You do whatever works for you.  

Have a good day.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators