Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Revit from Saving Autosave Files to the Original File Location

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
23333 Views, 10 Replies

How to Stop Revit from Saving Autosave Files to the Original File Location

Hi there, How can I stop Revit from saving extra files(probably autosave files I don't know what they are called exactly) as seen on the attachment? It is so annoying to delete the extra files every single time...

Revit.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

you can control the number of backups from Application Menu (R) > Save As > Options > File Save Options> Maximum Backups

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
tuuletin

Hello, dear, Cat Very Happy

you can also make a batch-file. A lot of information can be found in google, for example, the simpliest batch-file is described here.

Or google more with words "deleting backup files revit" or "deleting backup files revit batch". Cat Surprised

Message 4 of 11
L.Maas

What is also annoying if something goes wrong with your project file, not being able to open your project, resulting in losty hours. So make sure that you have at least some backup files or that you have your own backup regime.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 11
loboarch
in reply to: L.Maas

@EnlInt wrote:

What is also annoying if something goes wrong with your project file, not being able to open your project, resulting in losty hours. So make sure that you have at least some backup files or that you have your own backup regime.

Storage space is REALLY cheap compaired to your time. I would also caution against deleteing ALL of the backup files.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 11
Pshupe
in reply to: loboarch

Is there a way to have it save to a different location?  I have had issue where people are opening bak files by accident, then it creates baks of baks etc etc.  Can I set a path to where the backup files are saved?  That would be the best.  Thanks.

Regards Peter.

Message 7 of 11
loboarch
in reply to: Pshupe

There is not a way to tell Revit to use a different save locaiton. You could create some kind of batch file or script to automate doing something like this but it would be outside of Revit.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 11
Pshupe

Thanks - having 2 or 3 backup files in there is fine.  I just like minimizing issues with opening the wrong file.  It would be nice if they were named something different, so they wouldn't show up when opening a file, but could be renamed if you needed to open the back up.  I guess that would be a batch file as well.

Thanks again,

Regards Peter.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Pshupe

I use an interesting solution from Archigrafix called Secure. It auto relinquishes, autosaves, auto synchronises, and auto-exits when the Revit session is idle. 

For those interested the program is here: http://www.archigrafix.com/software.html

I recommend to set the timers in relative low amount of minutes so that it relinquishes and autosaves often.

Message 10 of 11
chrisplyler

Also check these settings...

revitjournalfiles.jpg

Message 11 of 11
vba69

hello,

In 2024, is it possible on the latest versions of Revit to be able to save backup files in a folder other than the working folder?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators