Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show detail on walls existing phases

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
JustinA-TH
13292 Views, 21 Replies

How to show detail on walls existing phases

How do i get line work to show over the top of my walls that are now on the existing phase?  Grey walls isnt showing enought detail for what i need to show.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
chrisplyler
in reply to: JustinA-TH

If I understand correctly, your problem is that existing walls are showing up as halftoned and without patterns in views having their Phase parameter set to the New Construction phase, and you want them to be darker and/or display their patterns. Is this correct? If so...

1. Take a look at Manage > Settings > Additional Settings > Halftone / Underlay - Here you can adjust the darkness of the halftone setting.

2. Take a look at Manage > Phasing > Phases. Look at the Graphics Overides tab. The chart is not referencing phases as an absolute. It is instead referencing elements created on the timeline relative to the current view's Phase parameter setting. In other words, the first row dealing with Existing elements deals with all elements created in a phase prior to the one a view's Phase parameter is set to. On this first row, you can change the settings for patterns (among other things), and even select whether they're halftoned or not in the first place (in case you aren't happy with the adjustment setting I mentioned in #1 above).

Message 3 of 22
JustinA-TH
in reply to: chrisplyler

I attached an image of what i would like to achieve if possible.  Center wall has transparent hatch patterns shown over wall.  Is it possible to get revit to display existing walls like this?  

Message 4 of 22
chrisplyler

Yes. Did you look at my instructions?

Message 5 of 22
JustinA-TH
in reply to: chrisplyler

Yes i did but it is not a halftone issue.  Seems revit doesnt have enough options for changing the existing appearance of an item.  Attached is a screenshot i of my seetings i want my cut pattern to not override the hatch of the wall and to show more detail.

Message 6 of 22
loboarch

This thread from back in December covers basically the same topic. What you are looking to do is NOT possible without some fussing with multiple views and overlay techniques. Page 3 shows the result you are after. The previous pages show a couple of other options using phasing overrides and view filters. Quite simply the phasing settings are NOT all by themselves going to give the look you want.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/phasing-graphics-and-detail-level/td-p/5958442/page...

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 22

Go into the Phases dialog box

under Graphics Overrides

ExistingCut > Lines and Patterns 

Under Patterns click into the cell and then set Pattern Overrides to Visible change the Colour to Black and select a hatch pattern

Also change the Existing > Projection Surface >  Lines to Black

That should give you what you want (as per your attached image)

AJ.
Message 8 of 22
chrisplyler

@JustinA-TH wrote:

Yes i did but it is not a halftone issue.  Seems revit doesnt have enough options for changing the existing appearance of an item.  Attached is a screenshot i of my seetings i want my cut pattern to not override the hatch of the wall and to show more detail.

You've got your Existing cut pattern set to solid gray. And they are solid gray. It's giving exactly the result you've set it to give.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

The trick is to actually "delete" the material override:

In the Graphic Overrides Tab of the Phasing menu, @ Material column, select Phase - Exist and hit delete.

Check Halftone Box;

Remove Line and Patterns Overrides for Projection/Surfaces and Cut.

That should do it.

Message 10 of 22
JDA_Joe
in reply to: Anonymous

That did the trick!

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

I made a phase filter called "existing" and selected all relevant categories, then filtered by comments contains "existing". I selected all existing building elements (3d view, change phase filter to existing) and put "existing" in the comments here. You can use other parameters that you don't typically use instead of comments, but I wasn't using that parameter for this project so it worked well. Then apply the filter to the view and halftone it.

Message 12 of 22
ccabralS4X5J

Hi, is it possible to show the detail in the wall while still using an override? I need my existing wall pattern to be empty, so what you suggested worked great for it (aside from the halftone, because I want all of the lines to be black). However, i need my new walls to be hatched grey with black cut lines, which I can't achieve if I delete the cut pattern override. I know I could delete all of my phasing overrides and manually select every "new" wall and override by element, but that would not only take forever, but also wouldn't automatically make all of my "new" walls grey. I attached images to help explain my problem.

TIA

Message 13 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: ccabralS4X5J

@ccabralS4X5J

You can overlay views on sheet.

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 22
ccabralS4X5J
in reply to: ToanDN

Wow, so I'll have to duplicate a view for every sheet, set it to show new construction only, and give all of the walls a grey cut pattern, then overlay the new view on top of the original view? Sounds time consuming considering all of my enlarged plans. hmm... maybe I can live without the detail.. Seems strange they would give an option to see detail if that option is taken away if you use phases... unless you don't want to visually see a difference between your existing walls and new walls, which wouldn't make sense to me. lol. thank you for your help 🙂

Message 15 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: ccabralS4X5J

@ccabralS4X5J

It may sound time consuming but if you create a view template then you can assign it to all the copied views in one swoop.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 22
azamoraZX47X

Thank you. This did the trick

Message 17 of 22
cchaparro

This is the one and only solution. Frame this and hang it in your office's wall.
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

This really saved me!  Thanks.

Message 19 of 22
JustinA-TH

I have since found a simpler way to show existing hatch patterns vs creating extra views.

See attached.

Message 20 of 22
ccabralS4X5J

Justin for the WIN!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators