Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set visibility of lines in skylight familiy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ola6n4qrvdsr
450 Views, 7 Replies

how to set visibility of lines in skylight familiy

Please refer to the Skylight Family attached

The floor has lower and upper level, the ceiling has upper and lower -- I am trying to get linework , whether model lines or detail/symbolic lines to show on only one of these levels, and not show on any other level, there should be different lines for each level.  This is to enable different graphics for the floor plan below, the floor/roof plan above, and ceiling plan.

Any suggestions please ?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tiho
in reply to: ola6n4qrvdsr

You can use the visibility/graphics overrides to turn on and off parts or all of the skylight, and also change the line types. This way, you can apply one view template for plan view, another for RCP, etc.

You can also control appearance from the Visibility/Graphics override by OBJECT Style.

tiho_0-1674505261727.png

Message 3 of 8
ToanDN

Can you be more specific, with a section showing the levels and floor plan / ceiling plan showing what you need to see differently?

Message 4 of 8
ola6n4qrvdsr
in reply to: tiho

We do use numerous Templates and VG overrides. However, that doesn't work in most projects for this scenario, as these skylights are used on multiple levels of roof -- e.g. roof over ground floor and roof over first floor -- so the ground floor plan will show several skylights above, the upper floor plans will show skylights above as well as skylights below.

Message 5 of 8
ola6n4qrvdsr
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi Toan

This is roughly the typical graphical arrangement we would like Revit to show on floor/ceiling/roof plans:

desired plan appearance.jpg

We cannot achieve this with view templates as mentioned above, because the skylights are  placed on multiple levels and are visible on multiple levels, per example snapshot below.

2nd floor plan.jpg

As per my original post, I've tried different Visibility Settings and Symbolic as well as Model lines, but with no success.  I thought there might be a simple solution to this, since skylgihts are commonly used this way and the Visibility Settings imply that it was considered, (though all too often perhaps not a functional Revit feature)  

roof ortho.jpgskylight ortho.jpg

Message 6 of 8

i can get this to work by making the family a generic model. Is that a deal breaker?

i believe it has to do with what categories are cuttable or not. Generic Model families are not cuttable. Even with the nested elements being all Generic Models, if the host family is a window it does not work for me.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-3253EFCA-F38F-4086-9A4D-C873D8D04867

i separated the object styles into Plan and RCP. You will need to turn off the RCP ones in Plan and vice versa.

curtisridenour_0-1709773766019.png

curtisridenour_1-1709773855708.png

curtisridenour_2-1709773908506.png

Message 7 of 8
ridantuo

Hi.

Is using sloped glazing out of the question?

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-6B7015B8-A758-4768-A384-DDBB95814D2C

ridantuo_0-1709799263878.png

You can handle them easier in the templates because they are not windows.

PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer.
Around 90% of issues can be explained by human error instead of an actual error.
Message 8 of 8

Hi @ola6n4qrvdsr 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   Have the solutions suggested by @curtisridenour @ridantuo helped with your issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you with more information so we can help you as a community! 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report