Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model two roofs with different slopes over one space (using Revit LT)?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tomistrugar
998 Views, 6 Replies

How to model two roofs with different slopes over one space (using Revit LT)?

I have a garage where its 20.5 deg (truss) gable roof meets a simple sloped roof (12.5 deg) about halfway up the gable roof (see image below).

I modeled the two roofs separately and used the join command. But since both roofs overhang the side of the garage wall, I ended up with the gable roof sticking out below the simple sloped roof (shown in grey in the image below). 

What is the proper way to model these roofs to get a clean result?  I am using Revit LT 2022. Thanks.

rlt-different-sloped-roofs.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: tomistrugar

One roof by extrusion?

Message 3 of 7
tomistrugar
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks @ToanDN , but my case is a bit more complicated. In the first image below, my 12.5 deg roof is in blue. Not only does it need to join the 20.5 gable roof over the garage (on the far right side), but it also needs to join the side of another 20.5 deg gable roof (on the far left side). That is, my main roof is a T-shaped hip and valley roof with gable ends (which was straightforward to model).

rlt-different-sloped-roofs02.jpg

The Join Roof command does connect to the big main roof (running left-right) but it leaves me with the overhang problem mentioned initially (i.e. the gable roof sticking out below the sloped roof at the garage gable end). But when I join those roofs, the 12.5 deg sloped roof can't then be joined to the roof on the far left. I could just drag the left end of the 12.5 deg roof over to that roof. The second image below shows the shape of the main roof with the 12.5 deg sloped roof hidden to help clarify things (hopefully).

rlt-different-sloped-roofs03.jpg

Message 4 of 7
barthbradley

Out of curiosity, why raise the roof at the plate for, what looks like, a carport or patio roof?   I can kind of see the reason to over-frame, but that wouldn't have any effect on the Main Roof, nor necessitate raising the wall height.  

Message 5 of 7
Prvoime

Following @barthbradley comment from another thread I created this one by manually inserting Split lines.

1) Create two separate roofs and join them using just the regular join command. This is just to get roof lines.

2) Draw a bunch of reference planes over which you'll place split lines, and add a bunch of spot elevation dimensions which you'll use to input the heights. Take a screenshot of these dimensions, and delete them.

3) Delete the smaller roof, edit the big one and remove all slopes.

4) Modify Sub Elements, and trace over reference lines with split lines. Select points and input heights from the screenshot. When done move the whole roof to the correct height, regular move in elevation view.

5) That's pretty much it. I don't know why, but you do end up with "brake lines" on faces, even though they're not actually there, as seen in 3D and sections, faces are flat. Unfortunately these have to be manually set to invisible with Linework in every view.

Actually took surprisingly little time, though I do hope someone knows a more automated way of doing it.

R01.jpg

R02.jpg

R03.jpg

R04.jpg

R05.jpg

Message 6 of 7

not sure it works for LT , but what about using Roof by Footprint -two roofs one over one other ?

• The first one with different slopes and a Cutoff Offset
  • the second one with equal slopes (equal with the higher value of the first roof) starting from the cutoff level of the first roof

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
barthbradley

Roof54-0.png

Roof54-1.pngRoof54-2.png

Shape after Join/Unjoin Roof:

Roof54-3.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report