Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link CAD in only a few Views in Revit?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
M_Perez
11802 Views, 19 Replies

How to link CAD in only a few Views in Revit?

I know that when I link a DWG I can select to make in visible just in the actual view or all of them. Is it possible to make it visible in a few of them? My only approach would be to rename it once pro view and import it several times. I know I can control VG for each view in order to make it invisible, but it is a 3D model and it would give me extra visibility problems.

Thanks!

Title renamed for clarity by @Viveka_CD

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: M_Perez

If you linked it in visible in one view only then just copy paste align to a few other views.

Message 3 of 20
M_Perez
in reply to: ToanDN

That is perfect!

Message 4 of 20
Viveka_CD

Hi @M_Perez

Click Insert tab>Link CAD

Set the Option to current view only:

Option Definition
Current View Only Imports a CAD drawing into the active view only and elements behave like annotation. For example, you might want an AutoCAD object to appear only in a Revit floor plan view and not in a 3D view. This option is not available when importing to a 3D view.

Current view onlyCurrent view only

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if posts resolve your issue or answer your question. Likes welcome!

Regards,

Message 5 of 20
M_Perez
in reply to: Viveka_CD

As I sais a had done it, but wanted it in a few views, not only one. The solutions from @ToanDN works perfectly.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 20
Viveka_CD

No problem Smiley Very Happy

Glad you have it working!

I've added the image to help the community seeking similar solutions!

Related article:

Paste Aligned Elements

Regards,

Message 7 of 20
syman2000

My advice is to create another Revit file and dump all the CAD into this container Revit file. Place the CAD link as current view. You don't need to create levels. Simply duplicate level 1 & name them CAD - Level 1, Level 2 and etc. When you link the Revit file into the current model, you simply choose linked view & select the number of CAD file you want. This works great if you have multiple discipline that still using AutoCAD & you can use it as to collaborate. Great thing about the external Revit file is you can call up the view in multiple views without copying the same CAD objects.

CAD linking.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 8 of 20
M_Perez
in reply to: syman2000

That is also a great workarround!

You could then make just one of the Plans visible, isn't it? Is there a way to pick some of them to be visible?

Message 9 of 20
syman2000

You can super impose multiple CAD plan in one view. However the Link by view will only take that particular view. So you have to setup all the CAD link visibility in the Revit file inorder to function. Also if you set the CAD link to current view only, it will show up in that view. So when you link the Revit into the main model, you have to constantly call up the link view. Alternatively you can set it to Revit link and check off the current view. The issue you will get is the model object will hide the CAD portion.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 10 of 20
MichaelWolff

This is a brilliant approach - if only Revit would honour the 'by linked view's crop region. We were provided a 4x4 grid of floor plans and the floor plan crop region was used to single them out. Unfortunately, this is not passed through to the import project's new host model.

Message 11 of 20
rmc9WR3X
in reply to: MichaelWolff

If only Revit would make DWGs underlay as expected with full control of visibility on a sheet instead of forcing us to pretend they're 3D.

Message 12 of 20
rmc9WR3X

If you go with the linked Revit model as a container for DWGs you'll end up with duplicate Level lines on your elevations, so go back into the linked model and Duplicate the Level type with a new name for this type, save the model, and reload the link in your actual project. Then go through this process of building a filter and applying it to the elevation you need: Hiding Specific Level Markers in Revit | Applying Technology to Architecture (wordpress.com)

Message 13 of 20
megan_randerson

Hi,

Regarding the container dwg, is this still the recommend approach to manage lots of dwgs and then link via view?  Or are there better ways now like dwgs in families?

Cheers,

Megan

Message 14 of 20
megan_randerson

Hi,

Regarding the container dwg, is this still the recommend approach to manage lots of dwgs and then link via view?  Or are there better ways now like dwgs in families?

Cheers,

Megan

Message 15 of 20
JoshuamRivera
in reply to: rmc9WR3X

You have full control of all layers via VG, you can also control per template, same CAD Link.

Message 16 of 20
JoshuamRivera

You have full control of all layers via VG, you can also control per template, same CAD Link. And you can once linked, click on it and copy paste it to how ever many views you like. Good Luck.

Message 17 of 20

Hi thanks for you reply,

Sorry do you mean to not use container dwg files? 

Background, I work in infrastructure as a Landscape Architect in Revit and deal a lot with DWGs from engineers - I personally prefer to put their dwgs in a "container" dwg revit file for large projects and link via view from my "working revit file" but I wonder if this the still preferred approach?  I work on projects that span multiple years and precincts and have found this works really well, but reviewing my processes to ensure they are up to date.

thanks, Megan

Message 18 of 20

Lets say your project lasted 5 years, in a span of each single year you received an updated CAD file each quarter.

Year one, first quarter you save that file in its own folder in your project folder.

Folder has Date (year/day/month + Description)

Then you did the same for the next CAD transmittal, and so on.

Use one Master Revit file.

Link in the CAD file from Year one , First quarter, lets say they named it civil prelim.

Once you get your 2nd quarter updated CAD file, you go into your revit file and reload from new folder location. You can do this even if the new file is named something else by client, example civil 50%, your revit will still link it. which  is nice because once you setup your linked file VG settings or colors, it will remain the same, unless new layers were introduced.

Fast forward to year 5, now you have an archive collection of all current and previous CAD files, if you need to go back to year 2 or 3 to relink to investigate is just a simple reload from.

Use worksharing even though you are a single user to have more control, also if clients start requiring you to use Autodesk Construction Cloud this would be a great habit to start on using.

Without using worksharing, templates, and so on we tend to hack processes that are already in place but are helpful ones. 

I do not understand the concept of container file for CAD files to then have them linked from., you can skip that step.

If a civil file is too large where it does not let you link, I would take that original CAD and break it into quadrant separate CAD files to be linked.

Joshuam - Structural BIM VDC Design Director 
Feel free to Like this post if you find it to be helpful.
Click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button if your question was answered.

Contributor at acad logo.jpg

Message 19 of 20
megan_randerson

Hi @syman2000 do you still use this approach to "containerize" dwg and link via view?  I note it's an old post.

Cheers,

Megan

Message 20 of 20

@JoshuamRivera 

Thank you for your explanation - I'm guessing it comes down to file size, I often have multiple CAD files I need for background information (think railway lines, carpark lines, survey information, turning circles etc), if I have these CAD files in a separate Revit container file just for DWGs I can still do all the things you talk about with VG and maintain overrides but keep my file size down and just link via view to multiple views that I need it for.  I am using ACC, worksets and all those good things already, but file size is problematic and it often not my model that is the problem it is due to CAD files in the model, so I've been putting the heavy CAD files (which isn't my discipline information) in a revit dwg container file and link via view, and then other consultants I'm collaborating with and linking my information can decide if they want those CAD files as well and can also link direct back to the "revit dwg container".  

This is an old workflow established circa 2014 and rehashed again in 2022 and I'm questioning if it is still a sensible way to do things.  I don't want to add a heap of extra work breaking down received CAD files every week with the BIM file sharing protocols and I should add the CAD files in the Revit container are live linked and automated to update weekly.

What are the alternatives?  

Thanks, Megan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report