Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do an organic Egg roof

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
897 Views, 9 Replies

How to do an organic Egg roof

A2-View.PNGA-View.PNGFrontFrontSideSideT-View.PNG

How can I make this shaped roof. This roof was made in Rhino. Unfortunately the revolve tool will not work in this instance as the Egg radii and form is not constant.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

You could just import the Rhino model in as a mass and create the roof by face.
Message 3 of 10
barthbradley

Sure looks to me like a 180 degree Revolve would work -- along with an extrusion for the base.  Is the "egg" profile not identical on both sides of the longitudinal axis?   

Message 4 of 10
constantin.stroescu

I suppose that ToanDN' s sollution is the most obvious one in this case.

Anyway you can do it in Revit too. One way could be by using Mass modeling and then, Roof or Wall by Face....

In my example a simplified form using only nine reference points. I've used an ellipse as bottom pattern.

Image 3.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

That is excellent, thank you very very much for the guidance, that is awesome.

If I may ask another question pertaining to the model? Now what if we want to put a skirt at the bottom of the model, so the convex top merges into the skirt with a concave curve and then it almost goes completely flat...as seen in the pic.

Convex top into concave bottomConvex top into concave bottom

Or would I do that in a separate model and reference it back to the dome shape??

Thank you again.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi ToanDN

I have imported the model as reference and tried roof by face and wall by face, and unfortunately it did not work.

However thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Hi Barthbradley

180 degree revolved worked in the back portion because that is symmetrical, however the front portion is not symmetrical to that. Also from a convex top it then blends into a concave skirt.

Thanks tho for your feedback

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks all who have given feedback. Based on Constantin's method, I managed to do my egg dome with additional point to get the inflection [concavity at the ends].

One problem that I am having is that it will not work with roof by face. I have to use wall by face and then it makes the roof. I suppose we can make a brick vaulted roof.Brick vaulted eggBrick vaulted egg

Message 9 of 10
constantin.stroescu

So , as you already did it, you can do it by increasing the number of points.

Another way could be by using Loft function: a series of horizontal closed profiles merged together, something similar to my following screencast:

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Hi Constantin

Wow that is amazing, a second way of doing the same thing, cool, thank you very much.

It looks like a helmet, but the principal is there. This is a much easier way of doing it then?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators