Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create grating industrial floor?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
studentagus
891 Views, 7 Replies

How to create grating industrial floor?

Hi, I need to create a grating floor where the light can pass through. But I´m not finding a way to do that.

I tried making a basic floor and applying a mesh material. But it doesn't let the light go through.

Does anyone have a floor grating family, or a way to make it so the light can go through?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: studentagus

You could model it, but that's a little much.  What's the grid spacing? A few inches? Modeling that large of a surface area, it would just appear solid anyways.  

Message 3 of 8
studentagus
in reply to: barthbradley

The holes measure is 3cm x 10cm. And I have to do close ups of the floor, and details ´cause it´s for my thesis.

And I already have a module modeled in Autocad 3d. But I´m new to revit and I tried to make it a family, but I honestly have no clue how to make it metallic and make it as to be recognized as a floor family. The only option it gave me was a Metalic steel deck, but that´s not what I´m looking for. 

And IDK if I have to model de whole area of floor or with just a module is ok.

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

That's a ridiculous amount of detail to model, but you could accomplish with 2 overlapping Beam Systems in Revit.  

Man standing on 3cmx10cm mesh flooring: 

Mesh1.png

How it looks in View that captures the entire surface area of a 7.62m x 7.62m mesh floor: 

Mesh4.png

...but if you zoom in to the feet of the Man standing on the 3cm x 10cm mesh flooring, it don't look too bad; huh? 😉 

Mesh6.png

Message 5 of 8
studentagus
in reply to: barthbradley

Cool! thank you so much for showing me how it would look!! And yeah that´s true, can´t differentiate much..
IDK if that would be noticeable in the floor with shadows in a render. Cause we need to show that light can still reach the ground floor between those bars.
Ill have to try that to see the shadowing it creates. And if it doesn´t let a lot of light in We'll have to change the flooring into a translucent one.
Message 6 of 8
barthbradley

Mesh9.png

Mesh10.png

Message 7 of 8

I prefer using a Map either with Bitmap or a Procedural Map with Cutouts..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/65a9d88c-2cc...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

how is shadow of a perforated plate with Procedural Maps for Cutouts..

01.png

02.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators