Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add tiles to a curved roof.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
775cforsyth
1044 Views, 10 Replies

How to add tiles to a curved roof.

Would anyone have a solution on how to add tiles to a curved roof. When attempting to use a curtain wall I'm unable to select the curved portion of the roof.

The roof was created by selecting the footprint and isn't a mass.

Curved Tile Roof.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hmunsell
in reply to: 775cforsyth

Make that roof into a Mass and use the Curtain Call System on Face tool.

hmunsell_0-1648562307974.png

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
RDAOU

@775cforsyth 

Copy the concrete/base roof >> Paste it aligned to same place >> give it a offset from level >> change type to slopped glaze with the roof tiles

you could apply the same principle for the ridge cover

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 11
775cforsyth
in reply to: hmunsell

After several hours of trying to create a cone mass roof It seems I lack the skill to make a mass cone shaped roof.

Thank you for your suggestion, I greatly appreciate it.

Message 5 of 11
hmunsell

LOL, masses ben be tricky. Here is how i would make one 😊

https://autode.sk/38cXiUL

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
barthbradley

@775cforsyth wrote:

After several hours of trying to create a cone mass roof It seems I lack the skill to make a mass cone shaped roof.

Making the conical mass is the easy part. Applying the tiles is where the challenge begins - especially with a rectangular tile.  

Looks like your roof tile is a Pattern-Based Curtain Panel Family. Probably 1/2 step; right?  If so, my suggestion would be to slice your Mass into horizontal sections and then divide each section vertically with V Grids spaced by Fixed Distance. No U grids.  Then apply your Pattern-Based Curtain Panel and adjust the Fixed Distance as necessary. Each row can be adjusted independently. 

Conical1.png 

Conical2.png

Conical3.png

Conical4.png

Message 7 of 11

I was trying to follow this tutorial to add some Spanish clay tiles, but I can't seem to figure out how to divide the mass horizontally off the profiles so that the V grids; the profiles are in place, but I don't know how to actually split the mass.  Any clue what I'm doing wrong, or may have missed?

eric_macleanHFNWX_0-1716298800169.png

Message 8 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: eric_macleanHFNWX

Think how you would do it in real life.  Standard tiles won't likely fit over that small cone roof.  You would need custom taper tiles.

Message 9 of 11
eric_macleanHFNWX
in reply to: ToanDN

Even if I had a taper tiles file, that still wouldn't address the issues created by the massive spacing differences between the top and bottom of the roof divisions.  Objects are compressed at the top, and spaced out very far at the bottom (I imagine I'd place some sort of sphere on top to mask the very top row.)

eric_macleanHFNWX_0-1716311059532.png

Message 10 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: eric_macleanHFNWX

@eric_macleanHFNWX wrote:

Even if I had a taper tiles file, that still wouldn't address the issues created by the massive spacing differences between the top and bottom of the roof divisions.  Objects are compressed at the top, and spaced out very far at the bottom (I imagine I'd place some sort of sphere on top to mask the very top row.)

eric_macleanHFNWX_0-1716311059532.png

That is exactly why you need taper tiles, smaller at one end and wider at the other end.  What you show there are not what taper tiles.

Again, you need to do some research on how they do it in real file.  There is no point to model something that cannot be built.

Message 11 of 11

SpanTile.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report