Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add length and width of a room as parameters in schedule properties

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
linaa2016
6305 Views, 15 Replies

how to add length and width of a room as parameters in schedule properties

when i create rooms i can get the area and add it to the quantities because i find it in schedule properties but how can i add length and width of a room in the quantities i tried a lot but couldn't figure it out so any help would be appreciated thank you

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
hmunsell
in reply to: linaa2016

check this out....

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/room-dimensions/m-p/9207652

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
martijn_pater
in reply to: hmunsell

side note: only works for rectangular rooms.

Message 4 of 16
hmunsell
in reply to: martijn_pater

aren't all rooms rectangular?  LOL

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
barthbradley

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with length and width of room?  There might be another way to get there.  

Message 6 of 16
linaa2016
in reply to: hmunsell

thank you i checked it and i understand now how to get the calculations of the length and width but i want to add them to the quantities and the room schedule and i don't think it's mentioned there.

Message 7 of 16
linaa2016
in reply to: barthbradley

i want to add them to room schedule.

Message 8 of 16
barthbradley

@linaa2016 wrote:

i want to add them to room schedule.

I understand that. My question is why do you want to add them to a room schedule?  

Message 9 of 16
linaa2016

the client wants them to be in schedule i mean length and width of each room instead of being written on the plan so i thought about the way to do that in revit. 

Message 10 of 16
barthbradley

So what does the client want you to do in this case? 

Room WXL.png

Message 11 of 16
linaa2016

ok i understand you and a similar case is explained in the link posted above but there isn't something like that in the plan anyway.

Message 12 of 16
barthbradley

There is no way to automatically do what you are wanting, unless all the rooms are perfectly square.  If they are all perfectly square, then you can create a Calculated Parameter Column for "Length" with the formula =Perimeter/4, and a Calculated Parameter Column for "Width" with the formula =Perimeter/4.  

Message 13 of 16

@barthbradley wrote:

...create a Calculated Parameter Column for "Length" with the formula =Perimeter/4, and a Calculated Parameter Column for "Width" with the formula =Perimeter/4.  

Although true, better use the other method for that one aswell. I doubt your rooms are perfectly square^^

1) Add Area & Perimeter to schedule1) Add Area & Perimeter to schedule

2) Insert calculated value for width (based on quadratic equation)2) Insert calculated value for width (based on quadratic equation)

3) Insert calculated value for length3) Insert calculated value for length

Only works for rectangular rooms, else you might have to use Bretschneider's equation as RDAU points out/explains at the bottom of this topic. You could also add a project parameter to check/uncheck if the room is rectangular, and then base the calculation/value on that.

Message 14 of 16
linaa2016

thanks to all the comments and with some search i could get it to work thanks all again.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

You can do it for a rectangle also, as there is a relationship between perimeter and area to determine L and W.

Message 16 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

You can do it for a rectangle also, as there is a relationship between perimeter and area to determine L and W.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Our Room Tags can display nominal length and nominal width (via Calculated Parameter Labels) if the Room is rectangular. That solution was given in the Message #1.  

correction: @hmunsell posted a link to the solution in Message #2.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report