Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a very small filled region or dot to a tag family?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Pshupe
1296 Views, 20 Replies

How to add a very small filled region or dot to a tag family?

I'm creating an electrical tag family that has a dot in the center but Revit won't allow me to make a filled region smaller than 1.6mm in diameter.  See image attached.  How do I add a small dot, like a leader dot, to my tag family?  Nested generic annotation?  How can I nest a dot?  Thank you in advance.

Regards Peter.

Capture.JPG

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: Pshupe

Perhaps use a special character symbol.

ToanDN_0-1638558130792.png

Message 3 of 21
RDAOU

@Pshupe 

How much small are you aiming for exactly?? .... Here it seems 0.5mm Diameter looks doable

small filled region.gif

Edit: Or Even smaller 

small filled region 1.gif

But then that would technically be the size of a period!!!

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 21
barthbradley

Is it an Annotative Family?  Then 1.6mm is 1:1.  Have you considered Line Weight?  Even if you could make it happen, it would all be for nothing when Thin Lines was turned off and it was Printed.  

Message 5 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: ToanDN

That worked thanks.  Now one other thing.  I created the 4 sides, top, bottom, left ,and right with instance yes/no for visibility but it doesn't seem to work for tags.  Is there a way to do that in one family, instead of having 4 separate tags for different orientations?   I need to uncheck the visibilty of 3 of the 4 labels and lines so they look like this - 

Capture2.JPG

Regards Peter.

Message 6 of 21
RDAOU

@Pshupe 

No there isn't ... you need 4 tag types

But again that might not be what you are asking about!! Though the Op was on Filled Regions with extra small diameters <1mm but it turned out to be about special characters lol

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: RDAOU

Small diameter wasn't working, so went with first suggestion.  Special character.  Should I start another post?  It's too bad the tags can't have a visibility yes/no like other families.  That would solve my issue.  Seems a little crazy to have to have 4 separate tags, no?

Regards Peter.

Message 8 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: barthbradley

It's a tag.  The smallest diameter circle or filled region I can make is 1.6mm  AFAIK turning on thin lines is only graphical in the view and will not print with thin lines.

Regards Peter.

Message 9 of 21
barthbradley

Not 4 separate Tag families.  4 Family Types in one Family.  

Message 10 of 21
Pshupe

It only works if you create a parameter for the diameter.  If you try to draw a circle either from line or filled region the smallest diameter you can create is 1.6mm, which was too large.  Not sure why you would have to create a parameter to get a smaller diameter, but there it is!

Regards Peter.

Message 11 of 21
barthbradley

@Pshupe wrote:

It's a tag.  The smallest diameter circle or filled region I can make is 1.6mm  AFAIK turning on thin lines is only graphical in the view and will not print with thin lines.

Regards Peter.

My point was the Line Weight of the Filled Region boundary line - even Invisible - will have a thickness. What's your #1 Pen Weight?  Add that to your 1.6mm diameter.  Get it?      

Message 12 of 21
RDAOU

@Pshupe 

As long as you can have a diameter as small as 0.1mm why would Adding parameter vs No parameter be of any issue???!!! 

And no you do not need a new post...instance visibility parameters do not work in tag families .. . you need 4 Types of the same tag (refer to previous reply)

Message 13 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes I get it.  I'm trying to match the size of an existing CAD block.  So making the dot 5x the size doesn't work.  1.6mm is not even close to a dot regardless of how thick the line is.  Here's how it looks.

Capture.JPG

It's a moot point as I can do it with a symbol or even with adding a dimension parameter to get the correct size.  Now if I didn't have to make 4 tags for different orientations I would have this nailed and could move on.

Regards Peter.

Message 14 of 21
Pshupe

I already saw that, tested it, and commented that it worked in my last post.  Thanks for that.  I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.  As I mentioned, why would I have to add a dimension parameter to be able to draw the filled region smaller than 1.6mm?  I doubt I'll make 4 tags.  I might just design a tag that will work in any orientation.

Maybe I'll add a dot to the leader for this tag.  That may work.  Thanks.

Cheers Peter.

Message 15 of 21
RDAOU

RDAOU_0-1638564868324.png

@Pshupe 

Yeah...Edit Tag Type and change Arrowhead type... If you need a smaller dot, you will have to create a new arrowhead under Ribbon>>>Manage >>> Additional Settings

RDAOU_0-1638564625687.png

your original question was How not Why. For the why you need a separate post... you already asked 3 in this one, 4 would be way past the Quota 😆

Message 16 of 21
Pshupe

🙄

Message 17 of 21
barthbradley

@Pshupe wrote:

Here's how it looks.

Capture.JPG

Looks good in this screenshot of 3 side-by-side electrical fixtures.  Boy, that "period" really stands out.   How does it show up in a typical plan view? 

Mag.png 

😉

Message 18 of 21
ToanDN

@Pshupe wrote:

That worked thanks.  Now one other thing.  I created the 4 sides, top, bottom, left ,and right with instance yes/no for visibility but it doesn't seem to work for tags.  Is there a way to do that in one family, instead of having 4 separate tags for different orientations?   I need to uncheck the visibilty of 3 of the 4 labels and lines so they look like this - 

Capture2.JPG

Regards Peter.

Is the orientation driven by a parameter of the host?  If so, there may be a way to do with a single tag type.  

Message 19 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: ToanDN

The orientation has been changed by using two different tags.  Not what I wanted to do.  I was hoping to use a yes/no visibility but apparently that does not work in tag families?  I'm thinking of just using a triangle tag with a leader with a dot.

Elect.JPG

Not what I wanted but will work fine.  Thanks.

Regards Peter.

Message 20 of 21
HadenDSmith-Vestal

We all have to reach a point sometimes when we let go of the "Why" and concentrate on the "What," especially when someone gives a better solution to the problem.  As for myself, I am thrilled to find out that applying a parameter to a circle within a Generic Annotation family allows me to finish drafting a company logo for a Revit Titleblock that needed a very small round dot.  Thank you very much to the contributors on this post!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report