Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a window in this hole?

48 REPLIES 48
SOLVED
Message 1 of 49
l.yong1
2271 Views, 48 Replies

How do I create a window in this hole?

Hi there,

I have created this hole with extrusion. Does anyone know how can I turn this into a glass window with frame?

Thanks for your help.

Please see attached screenshot.

lyong1_0-1636635742726.png

48 REPLIES 48
Message 21 of 49
barthbradley
in reply to: l.yong1

I attached a file.  You should be able to figure out what I did from it.  I edited your In-Place Family and shaped the Solid Geometry using a couple of Voids to cut away portions of it.  Basically, Subtractive Modeling.  

Message 22 of 49
l.yong1
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you very much for your time and effort. Your video has helped me to resolve the issue. Have a great day😎

Message 23 of 49
l.yong1

You are amazing. Appreciate your help. I wish I could give you 5* rating😎

Message 24 of 49
l.yong1

It worked but my wall cracked. Any other method I could use other than this? Thanks
Message 25 of 49
barthbradley

@l.yong1 wrote:
It worked but my wall cracked. Any other method I could use other than this? Thanks

Spackle.png

Message 26 of 49
l.yong1

lyong1_0-1637177600007.png

Can someone please show me how to use sweep to make irregular window on revit?

Message 27 of 49
barthbradley

Seems to me we've all tried.   What's wrong with the "5-star" solution you gushed over?  

Message 28 of 49
l.yong1

It worked for one window but if I tried to put more than one window, the whole wall cracked as shown in attached floor plan. I am sure someone knows how to use extrusion to resolve this issue on this platform. 

Message 29 of 49
barthbradley

Post your RVT.  

Message 30 of 49
ToanDN

@l.yong1 wrote:

It worked for one window but if I tried to put more than one window, the whole wall cracked as shown in attached floor plan. I am sure someone knows how to use extrusion to resolve this issue on this platform. 

Because they are different walls. Create the windows and opening separately so that each one cuts the one correct wall.

Message 31 of 49
l.yong1

Not sure why wen I created a second window, it affects the other wall. The walls were created by massing model. I can't separate them:(   

Message 32 of 49
ToanDN

@l.yong1 wrote:

Not sure why wen I created a second window, it affects the other wall. The walls were created by massing model. I can't separate them:(   

Not suggesting you to separate the walls.  Leave them be.  How did you create the second window?  As an entirely different in place model or modifying the 1st window extrusions?

Message 33 of 49
l.yong1

The method you taught me worked for the first window. I used your method to create the second window and door but skip the void extrusion for glass and frame. As it would cut off the wall. Please see attached photo.

I don't know what else I can do:(  

Message 34 of 49
l.yong1

lyong1_0-1637183265853.png

Message 35 of 49
ToanDN

@l.yong1 wrote:

The method you taught me worked for the first window. I used your method to create the second window and door but skip the void extrusion for glass and frame. As it would cut off the wall. Please see attached photo.

I don't know what else I can do:(  

You can't skip the voids.  You need them to cut the glass and frame to fit in the opening.  After you create the void, use Cut geometry and choose to cut glass/frame, not the main wall.  To summary:

- you need void 1 to cut the main wall to create the opening

- you need void 2 to cut the glass

- you need void 3 to cut the frame

While they can be created within one in-place family, I suggest create hem as separate families to avoid confusion.

Message 36 of 49
l.yong1

But my wall cracked if I do void 2 and 3 for second window:(

Message 37 of 49
barthbradley

@l.yong1 wrote:

Like this?

crack.png

Message 38 of 49
ToanDN

@l.yong1 wrote:

Edit void 2, select it and Uncut Geometry, then Cut Geometry again and this time make sure to Cut only the glass. Repeat for void 3 for the frame.

Still fails?  Share the model.

Message 39 of 49
l.yong1

lyong1_0-1637185350785.png

I tried many times. Please see attached 

Message 40 of 49
ToanDN

Where are the cracks?  And share the model, not just pictures.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report