Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding portion of Keynote Tag family value

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
AGYN2022
390 Views, 8 Replies

Hiding portion of Keynote Tag family value

I am trying to hide a portion of a keynote value. So here is what I do:
1- Select the keynote and hit edit

2- I see that the keynote family has two parameters. Key value and keynote text. I like to hide everything after the dot of my keynote value:

1.png
Things I tried but didn't work: 
1- I created a rectangular filled region with a solid fill pattern and all black but it shows underneath my keynote value: 
2.png
2- I created an annotation family that hosts the same filled region and then I linked it inside my keynote family. So a nested annotation family. Things look good inside the family editor:

3.png

But the moment I load the keynote into my Revit project, the black box goes underneath the keynote value:
4.png

Of course, once I figure out the process, the black box will be changed to white to hide the numbers. I chose black to show you the process. So why do I need this? Let's look at the sample keynote database that comes with Revit: 

5.png
What if I want to use Wood Laminate and Plastic Laminate and Metal Laminate in my Revit model but want all the numbers to show 06400? Is this possible? I tried to change the database text file but Revit requires a unique number for each row so I can't just change or remove the letters/numbers after the dot inside the TXT keynote database file. One simple solution is to use two keynotes, one for the number and one for the text. Yes, I am aware. But I am just curious if there is any way to box or force the keynote value to show only 5 digits or hide the numbers after the "." 

Thank you in advance for your help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: AGYN2022

Why can't you just use 06 40 00? 06 40 00 Architectural Woodwork includes shop-fabricated wood, laminate-clad, and simulated wood fabrications. veneers and flitches. Usually includes related fasteners, adhesives, wood treatment, and shop-applied finishes. 

Message 3 of 9
AGYN2022
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes, I know. The request comes from our architect. I don't know really know why they can't just use Architectural Woodwork. But that's another question. My question is how to show for example plastic laminate but with the keynote number 06400. 

Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

@AGYN2022 wrote:

Yes, I know. The request comes from our architect. I don't know really know why they can't just use Architectural Woodwork. But that's another question. My question is how to show for example plastic laminate but with the keynote number 06400. 

Your Architect is requesting it?  There is no 06400 Division/Section, so I'm lost.  There is a 06 40 00 though. Are you saying you Keynote File doesn't have it?  If so, use the RevitKeynotes_Imperial_2004.txt or RevitKeynotes_Imperial_2010.txt that came with your Revit - or ask your Architect to provide you with theirs.  

Message 5 of 9
AGYN2022

Sorry I meant 06 40 00. It was just an example. Let me create a small keynote database to ask my question again:
Consider the following screenshot as a portion of my database. 
6.png

Is it possible to choose "Metal Laminate" but have the key value number to show 06 40 23 and not 06 40 23.1? Probably not. So my solution was to hide the portion of the numbers after the dot but it's not working. 

Message 6 of 9
barthbradley

@AGYN2022 wrote:

Sorry I meant 06 40 00. It was just an example. Let me create a small keynote database to ask my question again:
Consider the following screenshot as a portion of my database. 
6.png

Is it possible to choose "Metal Laminate" but have the key value number to show 06 40 23 and not 06 40 23.1? Probably not. So my solution was to hide the portion of the numbers after the dot but it's not working. 

Why can't you just use 06 40 23?  I'm totally lost.  You want to use "06 40 23.1", but hide the ".1".  That make zero sense. Help me make sense of it. 

Message 7 of 9
barthbradley

Honestly, this is a question for your Architect - not us.  My guess is that there is a misunderstanding going on between you two.  

Have a nice day.  

Message 8 of 9
AGYN2022

Because if I use the 06 40 23 keynote number, the keynote value would show as Interior Architectural Woodwork and not Plastic Laminate. Does it make sense now? You know how the Revit build-in keynote works, correct?

Message 9 of 9
barthbradley

@AGYN2022 wrote:

You know how the Revit build-in keynote works, correct?

Yes I do. Why?    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators