Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Troubleshooting Lighting

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
hp248
661 Views, 10 Replies

Help Troubleshooting Lighting

Hello! I have been having the same issue in all my projects for a couple weeks now. My lighting families have all become extremely dim. Doesn't matter which project I'm working in, so its not a settings issue within the project. Nothing changes when I go into the lighting family and change the parameters such as intensity or wattage.

I have set up a quick example so you can see what I'm talking about.

example 1.pngexample 2.png 

Photo 1 is a room that is 15'-4" x 19'-4" I have placed 18 of the Revit stock family "Downlight Recessed Can- 6" Incandescent 277v" the family has not been messed with so it should still have all of the same default properties

(60 W/ 14.25 lm, Light Loss Factor 1, and 2800 K) 

Photo 2 is the same room, same amount of lights, but I changed with wattage to 150 W and 50 lm. The room looks exactly the same. I even renamed the family and replaced all the lights.

It doesn't matter what lighting family I use (from BIM Object or Revit), the intensity is always the same, no matter the project I'm working in, and no matter the family. Here's a third example using 15 of the default Revit family "Ceiling Light- Flat Round 60 W- 120 V"

example 3.png 

At this point I think my best bet is to uninstall Revit and reinstall it again? I'm not really sure where to even start in fixing this issue. It wasn't always like this. Now rendering is next to impossible. Any help is appreciated!!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
barthbradley
in reply to: hp248

@hp248 wrote:

At this point I think my best bet is to uninstall Revit and reinstall it again? 

Cut your nose off to spite your face???  I think not.  

Post this family you are having issues with. 

...and read this too: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

...and this too:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

Message 3 of 11
barthbradley

You know what I bet? The diffuser Material is Self-Illuminating, and you are confusing that Material Property with Light.  There is no correlation between the two.  

SI.png

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/EN...

Message 4 of 11
hp248
in reply to: barthbradley

This was actually my first thought, that somehow the lighting families were self illuminating and not allowing the lumen to shine through. Even when I change the lighting family material to glass, it appears exactly the same when reloaded into the project. Any changes made are not showing!

Message 5 of 11
hp248

Here is the project. If someone could render this image and show me how it's rendering on their screen, maybe its something with my computer 

Message 6 of 11
barthbradley

No Rendering issues here and the light fixtures respond appropriately to different Photometric values. 

Maybe try different exposure settings...

AdjExp.png 

Message 7 of 11
hp248

Well that is interesting... Adjusting the exposure is how I've gotten by the past few weeks, but with the project I'm working on now some areas (like the windows) just blow out too much. I guess it's more of a technical issue on my end.. Thanks for your help  

Message 8 of 11
hp248

So I decided to render this image in the cloud and this is how it turned out...

What's up with that?

example 4.png

Message 9 of 11
barthbradley

@hp248 wrote:

What's up with that?

How do you mean?  

Message 10 of 11
hp248

I mean why would the image render seemingly normal when rendered in the cloud, but when rendered at high (or any other) quality in Revit it renders very poorly and does not show any changes made to the family? I'm happy the problem seems to subside when rendering in the cloud but it is not very time effective as rendering in the cloud can take a lot longer. Especially when I'm making small adjustments and wanting to see the results quickly in Revit. 

Message 11 of 11
barthbradley

You're comparing apple and oranges, @hp248.  Local and Cloud rendering are two different technologies.

Other invalid comparisons might be:  N1H1 and Covid19, Mac and Apple, "Tombstone" and "Wyatt Earp"...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators