Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helical Massing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
KraiggC
629 Views, 12 Replies

Helical Massing

I'm trying create a light. It has square profile rotating hectically. I found a way to create a helix, except when I add a profile the twist on its path. Is there a way to manipulate this so I can have one side maintain the exterior? I've added images of what I have and what I'm trying to create.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
barthbradley
in reply to: KraiggC

Are you using HyunWoo Kim's method?  

Message 3 of 13
KraiggC
in reply to: barthbradley

Did you modify your post? My email response is showing something completely different. But to answer the question I see below the method I'm using is from David Light. 

Message 4 of 13
barthbradley

Yes. My initial reply wrong  -- at least it seemed that way upon re-reading your post.  I'm still not understanding though. That's why I'm asking how you did your helix.  If HyunWoo Kim's way, you used a 3-pt. adaptive and the repeater tool.  Is that right?   

...okay, so David Light does it the same.  You're starting off with a 3-pt adaptive line and then repeating it over a divided surface with nodes.  Right?  So, what is it you want to do?  Originally I thought you just wanted the whole helix on its side, but I'm not sure now.  

Message 5 of 13
KraiggC

I actually did a 9-pt adaptive spline. I've attached another image to better convey the twisting that happening that I'm trying to remedy.

Message 6 of 13
barthbradley

the twisting is the nature of the spline. Look at the family.  Turn the host that the spline is following along into a Ref. Line.  You'll see that the work planes of the Ref. Line twist on its axis as it winds about.  

...a quick fix without redoing the work you've accomplished, would be to use a circle shape.  Just a thought.  

Message 7 of 13
KraiggC

I'm not fully aware what you mean. The mass I have connected the adaptive spline to won't allow me to change it to a reference line. The spline itself also won't let me change it unless I'm in the family itself. I've attached the family so maybe you can screen shot what you mean?

Message 8 of 13
barthbradley

There's no form in Family10. Just a Spline.  Not really sure what you are doing now.  Attached is your Family10 with a 4x4 rectangular box which I made from your spline line and profile.  

Message 9 of 13
ToanDN

Use a simple swept blend for a segment of the helix then multiple it.  No twisted faces.

Annotation 2018-12-12 204956.pngAnnotation 2018-12-12 210004.png

Message 10 of 13
Corsten.Au

Try this.. Adjust the sizes

Grid U and V.JPGGrid U and V

helix.JPG

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 11 of 13
KraiggC
in reply to: ToanDN

Um Toan.. how the #@$% did you do that?? Can you attach that? I've been trying sweeps and sweep blends forever to achieve this but they never gave me more than 2d curves.

Message 12 of 13
ToanDN

I did it at home so I don;t have the file wight now but it is quite simple.

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 13
barthbradley

Is that all you are trying to do; create a sweep form? Did you open the file I sent you?  It has a 4x4 sweep form that can easily be parameterized so you can change its dimensions.  

...or, maybe you are missing the Lock Profile tool???

Lock Profile.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators