Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greenhouse style curtain wall. Best way?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
4348 Views, 15 Replies

Greenhouse style curtain wall. Best way?

Hello All,

I am looking for a "best practices" way of modelling the following curtain wall system outlined in red.

I know I can model it from scratch as a generic window but has anyone tried or been successful in accomplishing this in a previous world?

I am using Revit 2019 so I pretty much have all the tools at my disposal.

Thank you in advance.

Michael  

Greenhouse curtain wall.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Personally, I'd just model the whole thing as one loadable family. I suppose though, you could build  it with several components in the project: Curtain Wall + Sloped Glazing Roof + In-Place Model Components.   

Message 3 of 16
GustavoUbriaco

awesome question I think in a mass and then curtain panel by face but the curve panel it's impossible to generate by that tool.

How about a curtain panel adaptative family? Take a view in the video how I generate a tridimentional truss adaptative to a divided surface it's working and I guess is easier because you've only panels so you'd put attention in splines to generate the curved glass. 

Good luck!

Gustavo Ubriaco Contreras
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
barthbradley

Greenhouse.png

...I'd still opt to do the entire assembly as a Loadable Family with Nested Components.  A heck of a lot faster and easier.  

Message 5 of 16
ToanDN

There are many ways to model this.  Some are already mentioned.  Another is use a thin roof by extrusion for the glass and structural frame for the frame.  It depends on how you want to detail and schedule it to pick the approach.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 6 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

I'd like to see what you did, @ToanDN. Want to post it?  

Message 7 of 16
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

As is.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

So my solution was based on Barthbradley's solution.

Only differences being that I edited the profile of the two curtain walls that have rounded window frames and you can see the wall profile with it.

And the curved glass was a just a custom window modeled in place.

Thank you all. 

Message 9 of 16
GustavoUbriaco

Hey guys Look this it's a weird experiment but I think we can create a curtain wall system with curved , slanted and straight panels at the same time and only divide with grid lines, the lateral wall only with edit profile can be created.

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: GustavoUbriaco

So this is a GREAT video.

How did you  make the curved section of glass?  The section that joins the sloped glazing to the curtain wall?

Message 11 of 16
GustavoUbriaco

Thank you it's a curtain wall simple only have a glass panel for example 4 meters lenght by 3 meters height

Then I've created a panel family that includes the curved glass, slanted glass and straight glass with some parameters BTW the mullions are included too so when  you change the complete panel in the simple curtain wall you've only to insert vertical grids to divide it.

the only thing I don't create was the possiblility to insert horizontal grids but you can have a visibilityparameter to increase the horizontals divisions.

Have a good night I hope this will be helpful like the @barthbradley and @ToanDN their solutions are great too.

we found problems for your solutions, or how was it?

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
barthbradley

Ditto @Anonymous! I'm fascinated by what you did here, @GustavoUbriaco! Please tell us how you did it.  

Message 13 of 16

Thank you very much @GustavoUbriaco.  Good contribution! 

Message 14 of 16

How about if I'll share the RFA tomorrow so you can see the experiment it's only a single panel from the base to the height for that you can divide only with vertical grids, the panel was made from a curtain_wall_panel.rfa and in a elevation view I did create the extrusion and in 3d view a pair of sweeps and void forms then I locked the objects to the ref planes and with the same objects I locked to can preserve the widhts, sincerelly I didn't invested to much time because I only had the doubt how to create a curved panel you know so please don't wait for an exceptional family parametric adaptative XD

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: GustavoUbriaco

Yes for sure.  Please share.

And thank you in advance.

Message 16 of 16
GustavoUbriaco

Here is new video I'm trying to improve it but there are some things to fix, I hope you can see what I do in the video, I don't spoke because I don't speak english very often I'm afraid to speak spanglish, I did attach new panel.rfa. when 

If you guys can make some fix to the panel let me know please!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report