Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Visibility of Linked Files

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
H0LT
12665 Views, 11 Replies

Global Visibility of Linked Files

We have multiple linked Revit files from consultants in the same hospital Revit model. How can we turn off all grids and levels in all of the linked files globally. We want to avoid having to do it individually for each view & each linked file.

Any ideas? This project is currently in Revit 2011. If not 2011 is it possible in 2012?

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: H0LT

You can turn them off in VG by selecting "Revit Links" and "Custom" then Annotations Category "Custom" and uncheck Levels, Grids ,etc in each Linked model.

Then set up a View Template and apply it to all views where you need them turned off.

cheers

Message 3 of 12
H0LT
in reply to: Anonymous

Actually, that is what we’re doing.  I’m trying to find something more powerful than that, a way to avoid using a custom VG setting for each model.  I’d prefer to allow the Host VG settings, but then there’s no way to leave the levels and grids in the host model visible.  It gets tedious to apply the templates by view when you have multiple templates (for sections, elevations, different types of plans, etc.) and 10+ linked models.  Then again, if we’d been more disciplined about setting up and using our templates in the first place, this wouldn’t be an issue at all.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

The only more "global" way would be an "extreme" method to actually open up the Consultants' models, turn off the Levels and Grids, save and reload the links.

Otherwise View Templates are the way to go. It actually doesn't take too long.

cheers

Message 5 of 12
ryan.duell

One related approach, which may also work for you in addition to ccollins suggestions, is as follows:

1.  Open the linked file, and ensure the grids you wish to globally control [in the host file] are on the same workset.  Ideally create a new workset; in this example I will call this new workset “Grids-Test”.

2.  Save and close the linked file, open the host project, and create the same workset called “Grids-Test”.

3.  With Revit 2011 and 2012 adding the ability to read individual workset assignment inside a linked file, we can control this in the host.  Navigate to Collaborate > Worksets.

4.  For “Grids-Test”, un-check “Visible in all Views” or set Workset “Opened” > No.

Video Example

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

In the individual linked REVIT file, make sure the grids and levels are in the right workset, in default, they should be inside "Shared Levels and Grids".

In the Central File, go to "Manage Links" under "Manage" tab.  You will see all linked rvt fine under "Revit" tab.

Select the linked rvt file that you want to turn off the grid; then, you will see the bottom left button "Manage Worksets" become activated, click into it.

Select "Shared Levels and Grids", and click "Close" button to turn this workset off.

In this case, you don't need to set up custom VG to each view.  The workset is off and not shown in the entire project.

Message 7 of 12
jim.overholtzer

Moneyhunter,

I like the idea of your method. It's less work than managing the Grid visibility per view using view templates.

One question i have now is whether I would get a coordination review alert for my Copied/Monitored levels and grids (copied from the workset now turned off globally) if they change in the source model?

Jim

Message 8 of 12
alopez
in reply to: jim.overholtzer

What about a filter?

is it possible to create a filter that singles out the Grids and Levels from links only?

Message 9 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: alopez

Sure if they have some form of criteria to differentiate from your local ones, such as Family Names or Type Name.

Most people put their Grids and Levels in dedicated worksets such as Shared Levels and Grids so you can look into not loading those worksets as well.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Create a filter.

Choose 'levels' and 'grids'

filter by workset

workset "does NOT equal" ' shared levels and grids'. (..or whatever workset you put your levels and grids on)

apply filter and uncheck visibility

Turns off everything but your own levels and grids(for all links).

Message 11 of 12
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

Create a filter.

Choose 'levels' and 'grids'

filter by workset

workset "does NOT equal" ' shared levels and grids'. (..or whatever workset you put your levels and grids on)

apply filter and uncheck visibility

Turns off everything but your own levels and grids(for all links).

Not sure if you reply to the OP or me but if the links' levels and grids are in the Shared Levels and Grids worksets you don't need to create any filters.  Simply turn off the links' Shared levels and grids worksets from the Link dialog.  That would be universal for the entire model.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

It was for OP , sorry for the confusion.

I'm a fan of keeping all links by host view (other than on/off or halftone settings)unless I literally have no other choice. So I usually stick something like "ELC_ "  or "MEP_" in front of my host shared levels and grids workset, depending on if disciplines are together or in different models, so that I can make one filter vs. messing with link settings and going into each link's settings. If you end up adding links as the project goes on, you don't have to worry about cutting new ones off because it excludes all others. Just my preference and the least amount of work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators