Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generative design 3 box massing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
612 Views, 12 Replies

Generative design 3 box massing

Once the 3 box massing study is loaded into Revit. How can I edit the resultant Mass(?) like a standard In Place mass ie create mass floors, apply wall by face etc.

Many thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you asking how to create System Family Floors from Mass Floors or how to create Mass Floors?  

Create Mass Floors | Revit Products | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Unfortunately not. I was looking at editing the resutant Mass(?) from the generative "3 Box Massing study" which appears to produce a 3d Mass but I'm unable to add mass floors or apply Wall by Face constructions to the Mass(?). I was wondering if anyone else had generated forms with this study and had been able to subsequently manipulate the resultant Mass.

Message 4 of 13
RDAOU

@Anonymous 

That is a DirestShape ...it category is Mass. You cannot use it to create floors and walls in Revit. The DYN graph in that sample file is just a demo so basically one needs to do a little bit of work more on it 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks for the heads-up...Can I enquire if anyone has any pointers of what needs to be done to the Graph to create "useable" mass models within Revit? Many thanks.

Message 6 of 13
RDAOU

Usually we dont receeate the mass but create the walls and floors using dynamo and the directshape itself.

Dont have access to a Workstation with revit atm...But if you want to create a usable form you could in dynamo extract the base profiles of the cubes and loft them along the height of each and there is a node from springs that can place that in a family instance using the conceptual mass rft

You can check on the dynamobim.org forum maybe you can find something to start from

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 13
barthbradley

The Masses placed in the Revit View are three 50-foot squares on the base plane, centered around points. The first point is fixed, and the XY positions of the other two points are defined. Each square is extruded into a solid volume of a specific height. The three volumes are combined into a single volume. The solid volume is intersected with planes at intervals of 10 feet. The resulting geometry is a series of surfaces, and the summed area of those surfaces is the floor area. 

Why can't you In-Place Model the Mass? The specific heights are computed for you.  

3DMassBox.png3DMassBox1.png3DMassBox2.png

3DMassBox3.png

Create an In-Place Mass | Revit Products 2016 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Message 8 of 13
RDAOU

@barthbradley 

Considering that the sample file is a demo and the OUTPUT is a Directshape....what would you suggest a user would do when the study is not for rectangular cuboids? would you also remodel the resulting directshape in Revit?

That would kinda kill the purpose of automated generative and computational design...no?

RDAOU_1-1628275753139.png

Message 9 of 13
barthbradley

Message 10 of 13
RDAOU

@barthbradley 

Oh! boy! You could have referenced that link rather than copy pasting the content 🙂 anyhow, the resulting output is a Directshape (which is not mentioned in the article you clipped from) ie: not editable in Revit...and the original post was

RDAOU_0-1628278755223.png

So my question to you still stands...what would you suggest one does when the study is not for rectangular cuboids, something not too complex  a Revolving 3 Box Massing? remodel from scratch in Revit?

Message 11 of 13
barthbradley

Sorry buddy, but I don't understand your question.  But this thread, as I understand it, is specifically about the new 3-Box Mass Generative Design Study.  Maybe I'm missing something.  It happens.  

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

The original question was how to either change the dynamo graph to produce a Mass/InPlaceMass directly or how to convert the DirectShape into a Mass/InPlaceMass

Message 13 of 13
barthbradley

Yes, that's how I understood it as well.  You want to "convert" a resulting DirectShape of the 3-Box Mass Generative Design Study to Revit In-Place Mass.   What I'm saying is that the resulting DirectShape of the 3-Box Mass Generative Design Study can be modeled in Revit as a In-Place Mass in literally minutes. 50 ft. square Masses are pretty easy to do.  Start with 4-sided Circumscribed Polygons.  Bada bing.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report