Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor Join

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dm0144
996 Views, 7 Replies

Floor Join

Hello everyone

is it possible to join two different, ovelapping floors? The desired outcome is for the structural (1) layers to join and form sort of a beam (red rectangle image 2).

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RDAOU
in reply to: dm0144

@dm0144 

Seems like you are looking for Join Geometry

Join SLabs.gif

Otherwise, if it is a beam you need over there, 

• Either add a beam
  • Or add a Slab Edge

Slab Edge or beam.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 8
dm0144
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU Yes, I am using Join Geometry tool but I don't get the desired outcome. When joined, both structural layers touch each other and not overlap as in your example. I attache the ex. project. See section.

Message 4 of 8
RDAOU

@dm0144 

You either need to overlap them or add a beam or slab edge as per 2nd GIF above. The extra connecting element will not come out of nothing (walls extend to join but floor don't)

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 8
RDAOU

@dm0144 

Here is a GIF using your file (Isn't this what you are after?)

Slab Edge 1.gif

Message 6 of 8
dm0144

@RDAOU The floor edge will do the job.

I am still curious why the desired join is not achived when both slabs overlap for the desired width of ''d''? 

Did you notice the overlap?

Message 7 of 8
RDAOU

@dm0144 

Yes I noticed...Mainly that happens due to the Layer Functions Hierarchy and were the layers are placed with respect to the Core (inside/Above/Below)...Join goes by Layer Function / By Material...However in some cases with too many intersecting functions/layers, the above automatic join may not give you the desired Join. That is when you resort to other means...Examples similar to your case:

1. Beams
  2. Slab Edge
  3. Or converting the floors to parts and using Split/Exclude/Merge and Shape Handles...similar to the image below reproduced from your model using parts

RDAOU_0-1632131751903.png

Message 8 of 8
dm0144

@RDAOU Thanks! I will go with slab edge since creating floor parts is not possible in group mode.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report