Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering Elevation Tags

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3684 Views, 4 Replies

Filtering Elevation Tags

Our office has four different elevations that use: building, demolition, interior, and cabinetry.  I would like to have elevation tags for each type and then be able to filter those depending on the plan. For example:

• Floor plan - we want to see the building elevations and interior elevations
  • Cabinetry plan - we only want to see the cabinetry elevations
  • Demolition plan - we only want to see the demolition elevations

I also want this to be as user friendly as possible for the office. So far, I have duplicated the Elevation tag family and created the four different types. I selected the tag - edit type - duplicate - rename (- applied the corresponding view template). Then I went to filter and created a new filter, ex. Cabinetry Elevations, selected Elevations for the Category, and Filter Rules: Family and Type, Does Not Equal, Cabinetry. Hit 'Ok', then unchecked the Visibility check box. All four elevation types on my screen disappear!!!  I have tried different rules, like 'Contains' and 'Equals', all with the same outcome. What is going on? 

I do know that I can create a Project Parameter, I named it Elevation Type (instance family), and selected each elevation tag individually assigning a name to it, and can then I can filter the tags successfully. I just want it to be more automated. I hoped that the Project Parameter could be by Type, and not by Instance, but the Views Category option disappeared from the list when I tried....

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JasonKunkel
in reply to: Anonymous

This process can definitely work. Not sure where you are hitting a snag, but there is no reason to create a parameter to control this.

A guess might be, are you typing in "Cabinetry" in the filter rule value, or are you using the dropdown to select the precise name? In the image below, I clicked the dropdown and selected a value instead of trying to type it in, and my test worked great.

dropdown.png

If you are already doing this, take a screenshot of your filter rules and post so we can take a look.

Jason Kunkel
Senior Practice Manager, Architecture and Engineering
CADD Microsystems Blog
RVIT Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
Message 3 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Our office has four different elevations that use: building, demolition, interior, and cabinetry.  I would like to have elevation tags for each type and then be able to filter those depending on the plan. For example:

• Floor plan - we want to see the building elevations and interior elevations
  • Cabinetry plan - we only want to see the cabinetry elevations
  • Demolition plan - we only want to see the demolition elevations

I also want this to be as user friendly as possible for the office. So far, I have duplicated the Elevation tag family and created the four different types. I selected the tag - edit type - duplicate - rename (- applied the corresponding view template). Then I went to filter and created a new filter, ex. Cabinetry Elevations, selected Elevations for the Category, and Filter Rules: Family and Type, Does Not Equal, Cabinetry. Hit 'Ok', then unchecked the Visibility check box. All four elevation types on my screen disappear!!!  I have tried different rules, like 'Contains' and 'Equals', all with the same outcome. What is going on? 

Please help!

It works here.  Are you sure the actual Elevations placed in the view are set to different Types?

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JasonKunkel

I was typing in Cabinetry and not selecting the type by dropping down the menu! I knew it was something little. Thank you so much!

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JasonKunkel

That was exactly it! Thank you!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report