Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family-Editor

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
348 Views, 3 Replies

Family-Editor

Hi, 

im from the Autocad and Inventor-Corner and new in Revit. I'm using the Familie-Editor to create a Library for my Company and i must say this Family-Editor is very complicatet when i draw or edit an object.

Revit is not bad, but there are some point, which are not so good in Revit.

why didn't Revit use the same Commands as in Autocad or Inventor and in the same sequence? The trim command is different from those in Autocad or Inventor, but it's one Company...

I also miss for excample the champfer or the round command (hope i name it correct, sorry im austrian ^_^). 

and what's an absolute no go in Revit => THERE ARE NO LAYERS!!!!!

did you ever use Revit, export it to Autocad and edit it in Autocad. It's soooooo horrible without correct Layer 's.

sure there are some layers from export but the wrong one. I need Layers that i can define. I need Layer's with the company name in front on the Layername.

thx

Chris

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Chris,

You may want to look up the history of Revit and you might begin to understand why it is different and why Layers are an incompatible concept.  Revit didn't start as an Autodesk product and it's function is completely different than Inventor or AutoCAD.  Layers are more geared for flat drawings, for revit the closest thing you have is Categories, defined roughly around building components.  Good luck with your transition. 

Message 3 of 4
bosborne
in reply to: Anonymous

Congrats (or sorry - depending on your perspective) on making the move to Revit.

Couple of comments:

1. The Family Editor is more complicated than the project environment and most people wait to learn it until they have a year or so of Revit experience.  I applaud you for jumping in and trying to learn it.  There are a lot of good resources out there on how to achieve amazing things in the family editor, but it takes time.

2. Revit does not use the same commands as Autocad because it was not an autodesk product originally.  By the time autodesk acquired it, there was already a user base that was accustomed to how it operated.   The Chamfer tool is available when dealing with lines - but it is called "Fillet with Arc"

3. You are correct that there are no layers - and that is a good thing.  There are Categories.  So a Wall in Revit is always a wall - in Autocad you have to be vigilant about what layer each line you draw is on - inadvertent mistakes can happen - in Revit - you are creating objects which have classifications and really need to always be classified certain ways. Imagine the confusion if I modeled a Structural column but classified it as a Plumbing fixture - which you can easily accidentally draw in Autocad with layers.  What you can do is define the import/Export settings (Export-Options-Export Setup DWG) in Revit so that specific categories and subcategories transfer over to specific layers in cad.  

4. we've all been where you are as a new frustrated user.  it's tough and we understand.  (i spent 6 months slamming my head into the desk wishing Revit worked like Autocad).  But for those of us that stuck with it - I imagine most would rather retire than have to use Autocad again as the primary tool.  

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: bosborne

thx for you answers. Yes i heard about it, that Revit wasn't an Autodesk Product. Revit is cool because of his Object Orientation and yes way much better than Autocad when you construct a building, create cuttings etc. i for now don't have problems with the new way of working in revit, on the contrary i prefer it more than in autocad. i only have problems how to create an object in revit with the family editor. and yes i have a few informations and tutorials about how to create objects. it's not the family editor itself, it's mostly the way how the commands work or not work or they even don't exist in revit. but hey i also work with 3ds max and photoshop too, so it's only a matter of time ^_^. the only problem i also have is the keyboard shortcuts in all those programms, it's get a bit messy ^_^ thx chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report