Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facility project management

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
advandes
1216 Views, 27 Replies

Facility project management

I was wondering if anyone had any experience managing projects in a single facility and how they format the project(s) with Revit. The following is a basic look at my questions. I have a client who owns a very large facility and within this facility many projects are taking place. I have a master Revit file that consists of all the existing components, but we also need to create New Construction and Demolition. Sometimes a project may not come to fruition, while others do and then become existing components after construction. Is there a project management process with Revit that will allow you to remove projects that are not accepted without redoing demolished and new work? I was think that Phasing may provide the answer by creating a phase with the name of the project e.g. phase name = Project 01 and Project 02, etc.., but as far as I can tell, I can't view Project 02 without seeing Project 01. The other method I thought would work is Design Option. Design options seems to be the way to go, but can an entire design option set be moved to existing, or deleted? And can you show demolished items in a design option and still maintain the existing phase? Any ideas on this subject would be appreciated.

AAG
Advance Design
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
advandes
in reply to: advandes

Maybe I didn't mention this, but there can be a number of projects happening by different engineers at the same time, that is why there has to be a single master file that must be updated when each project is completed.
AAG
Advance Design
Message 22 of 28
chrisplyler
in reply to: advandes

Hmmmm... I didn't think of that. You're right.

So then my suggestion goes back to my first one, wherein you just keep adding new phases for each new project as is appropriate. Still, occasionally do a Save-As with a unique name in order to capture a frozen "current" snapshot after each completed project, and try to keep the master cleaned up every so often by taking the projects/phases created the year before and consolidating them into the Existing phase, getting rid of their project-specific views/sheets, etc. Maybe this can keep the master from becoming too unmanageable over time.

Message 23 of 28

The master file needs to exist for maintenance, not just new projects. 

For AutoCAD or Revit, the projects should exist separately, and only the bare bones items be imported into the master model(s). 

I don't just work under the assumption that the model needs to be clean enough for a lesser skilled person to find what they need, but also that the model will be linked and published into an IWMS/CAFM system, and it needs to be as lean and mean as possible, so that the web interface is as simple and easy to navigate as possible for even LESS skilled users. 

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 24 of 28

... don't get me wrong, this is an excellent thread and I'll be re-reading it a few times to see if I can make my life easier with the utilization of phasing and any other suggestions. One thing about us facilities folks, we're cheap and slow, but, our main concern is what gets the job done at the end of the day. 

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 25 of 28
advandes
in reply to: chrisplyler

I am glad to see all the activity on this thread. It has been a huge issue with me and some of my clients, but for the last few months I have come up with a more refined management process that has been working very well. I have some video clips that step through this project management process that I will try and upload to youtube. I will reply to this thread when it's available. 

Revit Facility File Management (Customer specific, but basically universal)

1. Project Set-up

1. When creating a new project, the directory structure is created under the current procedure under the assigned project number using the current standard templates.
  2. If the area in which the new project is to occur has not yet been modeled (Existing Conditions), then all existing conditions are to be added to the Master Central File (MCF)
  3. If the area in which the new project is to occur will require any demolition modeling, then this work is also to be done in the MCF.
  4. The required MCF is then linked into the new Project Central File (PCF).
  5. After completing the procedure above, fill out the information in the Customer Revit Project Management Schedule located in the master file root directory. This is to help keep track of projects and status.
  6. Additional PCF’s can be linked if coordination is required with other current projects.

1. As-Built and Project Completion

1. Once a project is completed and installed and possibly As-Built, Transmit the file to the designated Project Central As-Built folder. Do not include linked files.
  2. Open the transmitted file and combine the New Construction phase with the previous Existing phase.
  3. Link the AS-Built file into the MCF and Bind it in place. Then un-group the elements.
  4. Delete all demolished objects per as-built conditions
AAG
Advance Design
Message 26 of 28

Uploaded video link below to youtube.    Please let me know if this is helpful and or if you have any comments and ideas to improve.  

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/74Ba3pzMULs

AAG
Advance Design
Message 27 of 28

Melanie,

I hear what you are saying all the time from my customers, so you 100% right on with your comment. Please review my short video presentation that I uploaded and linked in a previous thread. I would like your feedback. Thanks.

AAG
Advance Design
Message 28 of 28

Really appreciate you sharing so much on the topic. I'll take a look at what you've posted and let you know what I think. 🙂 Thanks. 

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report