Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Swing Direction in Schedule

87 REPLIES 87
SOLVED
Message 1 of 88
Anonymous
19520 Views, 87 Replies

Door Swing Direction in Schedule

I spent the better part of the day on the web learning that Autodesk did not include the ability to include and update door swings automatically. I did find a few apps but before I spend any cash on them I am hoping someone here has some additional options I have overlooked.

Thanks

Todd

87 REPLIES 87
Message 21 of 88
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

So, if I modeled it right, what should be the default Handing? Right or Left 😛
(Just to check if my family is properly modelled)
Message 22 of 88
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
So, if I modeled it right, what should be the default Handing? Right or Left 😛
(Just to check if my family is properly modelled)

If you open an OOTB single door family you will see it is default at Right Handing.  I can only assume the Dynamo node was created based on this setting.

Message 23 of 88
bozandilistan

Thank you. But the schedule is not updated automotically when change the door direction? Should we select the LH/RH.. from properties manually?

Message 24 of 88
Anonymous
in reply to: bozandilistan

No... it has be run again, it doesn't work live

Message 25 of 88
fanievz81
in reply to: bozandilistan

Hi Guys, I managed to get ToanD's files to work after finding the suitable dynamo packets, it works beautifully and with the latest version of dynamo it looks like you can set it to run automatically. I am a complete newb to dynamo but there is massive potential in it. I have tried to apply all of this to one of my own door families in an existing project, Revit 2017, I assumed that i need to assign the door handing values to the door in the properties pane but this doesnt seem to be working, am i missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Message 26 of 88
ToanDN
in reply to: fanievz81

@fanievz81 wrote:

Hi Guys, I managed to get ToanD's files to work after finding the suitable dynamo packets, it works beautifully and with the latest version of dynamo it looks like you can set it to run automatically. I am a complete newb to dynamo but there is massive potential in it. I have tried to apply all of this to one of my own door families in an existing project, Revit 2017, I assumed that i need to assign the door handing values to the door in the properties pane but this doesnt seem to be working, am i missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Did you add the Door Set parameter and assign it to Doors category for the 2017 project?  Also, make sure the Dynamo version is compatible with Revit 2017.

Message 27 of 88
JohnABenton

I turned on the room calculation point but don't get the Door Set parameter.  Can you explain a little deeper.  Thanks!

Message 28 of 88
ToanDN
in reply to: JohnABenton

@JohnABenton wrote:

I turned on the room calculation point but don't get the Door Set parameter.  Can you explain a little deeper.  Thanks!

Door Set is a Project parameter added to Doors category.

Message 29 of 88
JohnABenton

Thanks for the quick response ToanDN.  I got the parameter but I thought the swing was "already there.  You just need to turn on Room Calculation Point in Door families."   My motorcycle helmet must be too tight (2005 r1150GSA) because I just don't get the connection from the swing to the schedule.  (not talking hand I understand that needs Dynamo).  Thanks again.

Message 30 of 88
ToanDN
in reply to: JohnABenton

@JohnABenton wrote:

Thanks for the quick response ToanDN.  I got the parameter but I thought the swing was "already there.  You just need to turn on Room Calculation Point in Door families."   My motorcycle helmet must be too tight (2005 r1150GSA) because I just don't get the connection from the swing to the schedule.  (not talking hand I understand that needs Dynamo).  Thanks again.

Door Swing Direction and Door Set Handing are two separate things:

- To add Door Swing Direction, you need to turn on Room Calculation Point in the door family and make sure the direction match the door swing; then add the From Room and To Room fields to the door schedule (pic below)

- Door Set Handing is a Project Parameter added to Doors category needs to be filled either by hand or by a Dynamo script (it is attached in one of the post above)

Capture.PNG

Message 31 of 88
fanievz81

Yup, door set parameters is assigned to the door, its there at least, the only thing that im not sure of assigning is the RH LH RHR and LHR values to the specific doors. I updated dynamo on the test file that you supplied as there was a compatibility issue with the previous version of dynamo i had loaded. This is literally my first step into the world of dynamo, looks like it has a lot of potential. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate, sorry for the late reply, got a bit distracted with other stuff this week.  I have attached a screen grab of the properties tab showing the door set parameter which is blank. 

Door Set.PNG

Message 32 of 88
ToanDN

@fanievz81 wrote:

Yup, door set parameters is assigned to the door, its there at least, the only thing that im not sure of assigning is the RH LH RHR and LHR values to the specific doors. I updated dynamo on the test file that you supplied as there was a compatibility issue with the previous version of dynamo i had loaded. This is literally my first step into the world of dynamo, looks like it has a lot of potential. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate, sorry for the late reply, got a bit distracted with other stuff this week.  I have attached a screen grab of the properties tab showing the door set parameter which is blank. 

Door Set.PNG

If the Door Set was created properly as a text instance parameter (looks like it is) then the value of Door Set for each door will be filled in after you execute the Dynamo script.  Did you run the script yet?  Are there any errors on the Dynamo map after you run it?

Message 33 of 88
fanievz81

There is an error on the script, sorry I thought there wasn't but my assumption was that the script had errors due the fact that the RH, LH, RHR and LHR values could not be found hence me asking this question in the first place. The script is set to run automatically, latest version of Dynamo. I also assumed the door set project parameter was created correctly. Here is a screen shot of the Dymano Map indicating the error

"Warning: Internal error, please report: Dereferencing a non-pointer."

Dynamo Door Set - Error.jpg 

Message 34 of 88
fanievz81

Looks like I got it to work, well partially...

Seems like the error came in with the phasing selection withing the dynamo script. I am working on a multi floor building and each of the floors is phased separately, when i chose the correct phase there are no errors. The strange thing is I am only getting RHR and LHR results, even if i take the door through all the available swing options.  I also assume i might have to create duplicate scripts for each of the phases then? 

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

Message 35 of 88
Anonymous

And that Dynamo packet is..? thanks

Message 36 of 88
Anonymous

Archi-lab.net is the package

Message 37 of 88
MichaelWolff

While this thread is now a bit dated, I wonder what exactly the correct default handing might be and how it is set. Is one to use an out of the box door family or better stick with the out of the box door family template and make proper doors from scratch? That template sports an IFC parameter called operation which does not come with a default value, but can contain something like SingleSwingLeft or SingleSwingRight. Being a type parameter this could only describe the non-mirrored version of the family. I did not find any other means to set any defaults for the swing direction.

Message 38 of 88
Anonymous

I was excited to see this solution but when I ran the Dynamo script it came up with an error at "Door Set Handling" that read: Error: Custom node definition is not loaded.  Now I am sad, do you have that portion of the script to share?  

Thank you for sharing this.

Message 39 of 88
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

I was excited to see this solution but when I ran the Dynamo script it came up with an error at "Door Set Handling" that read: Error: Custom node definition is not loaded.  Now I am sad, do you have that portion of the script to share?  

Thank you for sharing this.

You need to install archilab package for Dynamo.

Message 40 of 88
Ian_H

So I came across this thread and I can't seem to get the script to work. 

-I manually added the 'Door Set' text parameter

-I edited a couple of the doors families in my project with the 'Room Calculation Point' turned on

-My phasing I selected is correct

I am getting a 'Dereferencing a non-pointer' error. Someone else had this error and said it was related to phasing, but like I said the phasing selected was the phasing for the doors in the project. 

Any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report