Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
yes_and_no
283 Views, 5 Replies

Dimensions

Sure i can do this:

hna__20221229_222032.jpg

 but how can I do this:

hna__20221229_222132.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: yes_and_no

Create one style with the bracket as prefix and suffix for the main unit mm, nothing for the secondary unit.  Create another type with main unit as imperial and secondary unit as mm.  Place three dimensions side by side, not as one string.

Message 3 of 6
lucdoucet_msdl

@yes_and_no wrote:

 but how can I do this:

hna__20221229_222132.jpg

This is a very strange request, as showing the window opening height next to wall length is very misleading. A person reading this will automatically assume you are asking for a 4'-0 (1219mm) wide window.

But if that is what you are asking, I can get most of the way there with three (3) superimposed copies of the same dimension with different dimension types:

1. The first string generates the alternate metric dimensions below the dimension line;
  2. The second string (shown in red below) will mask out the imperial dimensions above the line  but also the line itself;
  3. The third string with draw the line on top (See "RESULT WITH 3 OVERLAPPING DIMENSIONS") below.

lucdoucet_msdl_0-1672518397523.png

If you don't need the opening height on your dimension strings, the result will be all dimensions strings below the line in metric units.

lucdoucet_msdl_1-1672518550967.png

Hope this helps,

-luc

Message 4 of 6
yes_and_no
in reply to: ToanDN

I assume alternate dim units with suffix/prefix as style (and without showing primary unit) only became available from Rv18...

I read somewhere people uses tiny text size for primary unit in order to "hide" it.

Message 5 of 6
RobDraw

I'm with @lucdoucet_msdl. That use of a linear dimension to indicate window height is just plain wrong from a drafting point of view.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 6
lucdoucet_msdl

@yes_and_no 

I suspect I am taking your screen capture too literally.

It would help when posting questions/problems to state your objective and/or some context, such as : "I want all dimensions to appear in metric below the dimension line", "I want the window opening to be in metric/imperial with the wall dimensions in metric", "My project manager wants my dimension lines to be blatantly misleading" ;-). 

-luc

P.S.  “A Problem Well Stated is Half Solved”, Charles Kettering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators