Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Area plan and Room separate

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jdhF2S5U
212 Views, 3 Replies

Difference between Area plan and Room separate

When we first worked on the concept design, there are two simple ways to draw it.

When I draw my plans in revit, I want to draw that just simple line. The drawing shows the area and each space.

I can use area plan or room separator. This is keyword of my question. What is difference between area plan and room separator?

I think these two workings are same at least in first step. Is there any difference in purpose in each working?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: jdhF2S5U

They are for very different purposes.

- Rooms are tied to room bounding elements (walls, floors, roofs, ceilings, columns, room separation lines).  You can consider those physical boundaries.  You can only have one room layout on one level (design options can give you more but we are not going there).  Rooms are 3d with actual volume and you can associate elements to rooms in schedules.

- Areas can be tied to room bounding elements if you choose them to, but they can be totally independent from room bounding elements.  You can have multiple area schemes on one level for different purposes (gross area plan, net useable area plan, net rentable area plan, and so on).  Areas are 2d and nothing can be associated with them.

During the initial design concept, you can use different area schemes to sketch different layout options and they entirely independent from each others.  It is much harder to do that with rooms and room bounding elements.

Message 3 of 4
jdhF2S5U
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you. It's good. Then, area plan is better than room separator, if I want to another options, right?

However, I don't like one thing for area plan. Because I want to share color scheme each other. Is there any solution? I don't think it was shared at last time.

And let me ask you one more question, rooms are suitable for use when elements like walls come up?
Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jdhF2S5U

@jdhF2S5U wrote:
Thank you. It's good. Then, area plan is better than room separator, if I want to another options, right?

We can compare area plan with floor plan. Or area boundary with room separator. But you keep comparing area plan with room separator, which are not equivalent. 

The questions in your last message are not clear. Please elaborate more.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators