Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Walls consistently joining to wrong wall

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mbootsUJVFW
489 Views, 14 Replies

Curtain Walls consistently joining to wrong wall

This is a problem I've had cropping up more and more frequently lately, especially on walls and joins with weird angles, but i will often have curtain walls clipping through walls that I'm trying to join them to in order for them to join to another wall. I've also had where if i try to extend a curtain wall to be a few inches off of the face of a wall, or create a gap between the end of a curtain wall and start of a different wall, the curtain wall will automatically snap to the other wall, even when I don't want it to, sometimes jumping several inches (6+") to do so. Is there a way to prevent this behavior, or is this a known bug?

mbootsUJVFW_1-1720029847360.png

For reference, this is a situation where i am trying to have the curtain wall butt up to the face of the angled wall (extend curtain wall to solid red line), but instead the curtain wall is extending further in order to join up with the wall on the other side (dashed red line). obviously, this is incorrect, but i cannot for the life of me get the curtain wall to stop automatically snapping to random walls, even when i specifically tell it not to. Even turning off joining for the other wall doesn't work, the wall will no longer join to any other standard walls, but the curtain wall will STILL try to connect to it.

Labels (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: mbootsUJVFW

Assuming I'm understanding your design intent -- 

You need to end the Curtain Wall with an L-Corner Mullion.  That will require a Curtain Wall corner return of a very small length.  

Do these screenshots help?

CWReturntoBasicWall.png

CWReturntoBasicWall1.png

CWReturntoBasicWall2.png

Message 3 of 15
ToanDN

Select the curtain wall, right click on the end grip and Disallow Join.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
mbootsUJVFW
in reply to: barthbradley

No, this isn't the condition I'm trying to accomplish/fix... The mullion isn't the issue I'm currently having, the problem is that the curtain wall itself is not connecting to the wall that I want it to; it's ignoring the intended wall and face I want it to extend to (the solid red line) and is instead overextending through the wall to instead attach to the wall on the opposite side (the dashed red line). This isn't the only instance of this occurring either, i regularly have problems with curtain walls in line with other walls overextending themselves to connect when I instead want a gap, or even when I'm trying to adjust the point where they connect but the curtain wall keeps reconnecting when I don't want it to. Nothing to do with mullions or anything, I've had it happen even in curtain walls without any mullions, but the curtain wall itself is what is overextending in order to connect/join with things I do not want it to, and refuses to disconnect even when I manually move its endpoint away. The tolerance seems to be around 6", if the end of the curtain wall is within 6", it'll automatically connect without me telling it to, and i have to move it >6" away in order to get it to disconnect/unjoin. Which obviously becomes a problem when i want a curtain wall to be closer than 6" to another wall without touching, or in this case, where it tries to connect through a wall to connect to something on the other side, rather than connecting to the face of the wall itself.
Message 5 of 15
barthbradley

@mbootsUJVFW wrote:

... the curtain wall itself is not connecting to the wall that I want it to...

Connect how? 

Connect How.png

Message 6 of 15
mbootsUJVFW

Literally as I said, the curtain wall is not connecting/joining to the intended wall. I'm referring specifically to the actual curtain wall hosting object, not the individual panels or mullions, which is not joining correctly to other walls. In this case, it connected to the standard wall on the other side of the wall that I want it to connect to. Basically, when I use the trim/extend elements command, I want the curtain wall to extend to the face of the more vertical wall (the solid red line on wall A). however, whenever the curtain wall gets close, it instead snaps through wall A to instead join to the centerline of the wall on the other side (the dashed red line in wall B). I do not want this happening, i want it to connect to the face of wall A, but not only does it ignore wall A to connect wall B, it refuses to disconnect, and i have to move the end point of the curtain wall >6" away from either wall in order to get it to disconnect. And if i try to reposition it, as soon as it gets close, it just snaps back to wall B again. Using trim/extend elements does nothing, using the wall joins command doesn't work (it'll disconnect the two normal walls A and B, but not B and C), telling the curtain wall not to join doesn't work. 

Screenshot 2024-07-03 135227.png

Message 7 of 15
barthbradley

The question remains...how do they connect? In the real world!    

As for the auto-joining, @ToanDN has already addressed that.  Turn it off.  

FWIW: you can cut Curtain Walls with a Solid Mass.  

Message 8 of 15
barthbradley

Ralph.png

Message 9 of 15
mbootsUJVFW

This is not an issue with how they connect in the real world, that's not the issue I'm trying to address. What I am trying to do is make it so that the curtain wall connect to the face of wall A instead of clipping through the randomly connect to wall B when I explicitly tell it not to. As I mentioned before, turning off wall joins/auto-joining by selecting the end grip like ToanDN mentioned does not work, and neither does using the trim/extend command, or the more general wall joins command (the one that provides multiple options). I don't see how cutting curtain walls with a mass would be relevant here, since I'm not cutting anything, I'm simply trying to trim/connect the curtain wall to the face of wall A and not have it clip through walls or randomly connect to other objects instead.
Message 10 of 15
barthbradley

If you don't want to Disallow Join after-the-fact, you can simply change the Join Status of the Wall on placement.  

Join Status7.png

Regarding my Mass comment: that was just a Hail Mary pass.    

Message 11 of 15
ToanDN

Stretch the curtain wall away from the intersection so that you can correctly highlight its end grip to disallow join.  Then stretch it back to the intersection.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
mbootsUJVFW
in reply to: ToanDN

I've tried this already, but it will still automatically snap back to connecting to wall B even after I disallow joins. It even happens if I delete the wall, create a new one with joining turned off from the start, and then try to position it. It seems more like a bug that occurs with certain angles/join conditions, but I've also had the same thing happen when trying to connect a curtain wall and standard wall that are both in the same plane (connecting them end-to-end), where the curtain wall will snap to a point deeper inside the wall than intended, and the endpoint/connection point can't be moved or nudged unless you drag it a significant distance to force it to disassociate, but will then snap right back into the previous location if you try again.
Message 13 of 15
mbootsUJVFW

Like I mentioned earlier (3 times now), changing the join status of the curtain wall does not fix the issue. Changing the join status (whether on placement or after), using the wall joins tool, and using the trim/extend tool, none of these work to change how the curtain wall connects to wall B.
Message 14 of 15
barthbradley

You're not by chance talking about moving the Curtain Wall's justification point; are you? 

CWJust1.png

CWJust2.png

CWJust3.png

Message 15 of 15
mbootsUJVFW

Yes and no. I am referring to the end point/node of the curtain wall that you have circled, but i'm not concerned with where that is in relation to the construction of the curtain wall (the offset/justification), but rather where the endpoint of the curtain wall connects to other walls, like i showed in my earlier screenshots depicting the endpoint of the curtain wall connecting through the intended wall to instead join to the wall on the other side (wall B). Even if the curtain wall were entirely empty with no mullions or panels, i would still be having the same problem, it's not a problem of anything to do with the curtain wall construction itself, but rather how and where it connects to other walls.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators