Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Wall Mullion Orientation

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1211 Views, 13 Replies

Curtain Wall Mullion Orientation

I am working on a faceted tower in which large expanses of panels will be following specific planes. I would like the outside face of the mullion to be parallel with the plane and the other three sides of the mullion to be parallel with the floor. It seems as though I can do one or the other but not both by manipulating the orient to host or orient to global z parameters. I have attached the family with nested mullion family. I expect the facet angles to change throughout the process so would prefer if this was automatic, based on host, rather than providing an angle input parameter to manually set it.
Best,
Steve

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this the intent?  

CWPanel.png

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

This

Message 4 of 14
barthbradley

Can't you use a Sloped Curtain Wall System Family for this instead?  

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

No the four sides of the mullion profile would follow the slope of the mass. As described in my post, I want three sides to be parallel with the floor slab and one to follow the mass face. Per the image.

Message 6 of 14
barthbradley

It's not  impossible.  But, no matter.  

SCW.png

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

If this requires manual input of angles then does not accomplish the goal of the original post.

Message 8 of 14
barthbradley

I understand. I'm just baffled by what you are trying to do. Only because I don't have an intimate understanding of the design like you do.  No biggie. Someone here will undoubtedly have the time to devote to it.  That's why it's a great forum.

Following.  

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I tried this to see if this could work and my mullions still follow the surface, any advice?

Message 10 of 14
barthbradley

The mullion profile itself need to be draw at an angle that matches the angle of the sloped glazing. Sorry, I'd send you one I did, but I didn't save it. But I believe it looked something like this Profile.  It took a couple or three passes to get it right.      

Profile Mullion.png

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Ah okay, I misunderstood. Yes this would require a different profile for every time the surface changes and for each associated system. There are about 7 and changes every week so this would be extremely time consuming.

Message 12 of 14
FAIR59

using the method as indicated in my answer to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/adaptive-family-on-line-unwanted-rotation/m-... , you can make an oversized mullion oriented to the floor and 

remove the unwanted part with an Void extrusion in the plane of the CW.

Mullion.PNG

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: FAIR59

Apologize for the delay but the project has finally taken a breather and I am able to try to apply this to it. I believe I understand it in principle but have a number of questions.

When I edit the mullion profile it bulges. I need to be able to edit the depth and height but it seems as though it is pinched at the ends.

I see the void form is formed by two profiles as families, one on each end. The AP is oriented to Host and so it follows the plane of the mass. All good.

Can the mullion be formed the same way except as a solid and by to profiles as families, one on each end but the AP is oriented to instance?

The concept of creating a solid mullion that follows the global Z but is cut by a void form that follows the host is what I was trying to accomplish. You version gets quite close and works in principle but I think I am doing something wrong with trying to get the mullion to flex.

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: FAIR59

I believe I have this figured out. I have included an image of a mass that I applied the family to. It is doing what I want it to. However, when I apply the family to the adjacent surface the family flips. Any ideas?

FOld 01.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report