Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Creating toilet partition family

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
Sahay_R
7103 Views, 40 Replies

Creating toilet partition family

I've hit a wall with this partition family. There are two nested families - one for ADA and another for Standard stalls. I am trying to set up a parametric array where if ADA Stall = true, then the Standard Stalls will come after, if ADA Stall - false, then the Standard Stall array starts at the beginning of the ADA Stall. Help!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Sahay_R

That might be complicated. It is simpler to add a horizontal flip control to the family. You want the ADA stall at the end? Click on the flip control.

If you want to doors to go to another side, you need types of stalls (left and right).

The category should be specialty equipment.

Constraints should go to reference planes, not to edges of geometry.

Also, consider that when the ADA stall is at the end of the corridor, sometimes the stall gets wider, taking also the width of the corridor. In that case the designer might not be able to use this family. 

2017-10-03_12-55-04.jpg

2017-10-03_12-51-50.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 41
Sahay_R
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you, @Alfredo_Medina. I started this family as a Generic Model and will switch it over to Specialty Equipment to possibly address the non-cuttability of Specialty Equipment families.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 4 of 41
barthbradley

@Sahay_R: Have you checked the Revit content that Bradley Corp. offers? I think their families do exactly what you're trying to do. 

Message 5 of 41
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

...here's a floor braced one

Message 6 of 41
Sahay_R

(I knew this was going to come) Bradley families were where this started - when inserted, and an interior elevation generated to show special tile patterns on the rear wall, the Bradley familyy showed up in elevation. Removing the detail lines from the components caused all other kinds of nastiness to happen - partitions invisible in elevations, etc etc. Besides, we have the lovely non-cuttable Specialty Equipment. I'm sure that my frustration is very very evident.....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 41
ToanDN

It maybe an interesting personal exercise but in my opinion there is no need to bunch up all conditions into a single family with complicated formulas and visibility.  Create a single stall for ADA and an array for normies.  That's it.

p/s:  I may look at you family when I am done with two deadlines today.

Message 8 of 41
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: ToanDN

I agree with @ToanDN

@Sahay_R  You should provide the units, not the design. Let the designers do the design. Provide a good single unit, a good ADA unit, and let them do the array and all the possible variations. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 9 of 41
Sahay_R

@barthbradley Just downloaded the latest and greatest Bradley families. They are still Revit 2012 MEP and they do exactly what I don't want them to do. 

Untitled.png

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 10 of 41
chrisplyler

I've been using the Bradley families for four or five years now. A bit clunky to figure out, but can get what I want most every time.

bradleys.jpg

Message 11 of 41
Sahay_R
in reply to: chrisplyler

@chrisplyler - but alas, they refuse to obey my royal will - please see screenshot in previous post. Specialty Equipment families have a mind of their own, methinks.

@Alfredo_Medina and @ToanDN - the powers-that-bee looked unfavorably upon your idea.....hence something similar to the Bradley families would still be in order.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 12 of 41
chrisplyler

I suggest the "powers-that-bee" spend some time here on the forum. Maybe they could learn something from Toan and quit making your life difficult.

Message 13 of 41
Sahay_R

(standing ovation for @chrisplyler)

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 14 of 41
Alfredo_Medina

Ok, in that case, you can still add a horizontal flip control to the family, instead of figuring out how to put the ADA on the left and the array on the right, and vice versa. šŸ™‚

Message 15 of 41
chrisplyler

What do you WANT them to look like?

Message 16 of 41
Sahay_R

I want to be able to generate an interior elevation that allows me to get a clear view of the wall surface and the partitions cut in section.

I was looking at partition families by Hadrian which are just as badly behaved. Specialty Equipment families will be the death of me yet....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 17 of 41
barthbradley

@rsahayUZMK9 wrote:

Specialty Equipment families will be the death of me yet....

...so, why not categorize as "Plumbing Fixtures"? 

Message 18 of 41
ToanDN

@rsahayUZMK9 wrote:

I want to be able to generate an interior elevation that allows me to get a clear view of the wall surface and the partitions cut in section.

I was looking at partition families by Hadrian which are just as badly behaved. Specialty Equipment families will be the death of me yet....

Change them to one of the highlighted categories below if you want true cut.  Alternatively, you can keep them as Specialty Equipment and create a filter to make them (semi) transparent so you can see what behind.

Capture.PNG

Message 19 of 41
chrisplyler

Oooooooooh. You mean like this?

sectioned-Bradley-partitions.jpg

Easy. First, of course, you have to change them to a category which is cut-able. You've already figured that out. The other bit you have to do, is while you're editing the family, go into the Front elevation view, do a selection box around everything, filter to just Detail Items, then either delete them or change their visibility settings to not show up in a particular Detail level you'd like to use.

Message 20 of 41
chrisplyler

@Anonymous wrote:

...so, why not categorize as "Plumbing Fixtures"? 

Plumbing Fixtures is another one of the un-cut-able categories. Best in this case is to use either Generic Model, or perhaps Casework. The reason that wasn't working (it was, but didn't appear to be) is because she hadn't got rid of all the stupid Detail Items (specifically, masking regions) that Bradley stupidly drew into the family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators