Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating column and beam family with material

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
javiercrmd95
609 Views, 10 Replies

Creating column and beam family with material

I have a school project and I have not been able to replicate this structure. How can I design this components (columns and beams) with timber?

Labels (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: javiercrmd95

Interesting, have you been told explicitly to create that in Revit using structural framing and structural columns?

Looks more like a task for adaptive components to me or massing.

To be honest it is also twenty minute job (if that) in AutoCAD, just a couple of profile extrusions with some cuts orientated to the correct position. None of that 'what do I name this parameter, what size should I make this thing to start with'.

Message 3 of 11
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

Ok a bit longer perhaps

211116a.PNG

Message 4 of 11
javiercrmd95
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

As I said, it´s a school project but I have not been told that I have to replicate it using structural framing and structural columns, but I have tried with the tool "In place mass" for each component and I have not succeeded. I understand that it can be done in Autocad but I need to replicate it in Revit.
Message 5 of 11
Lachlan-JWP

Does this need to be parametric? Do you need to be able to change the sizes, distances, materials later on?

Create new structural column & framing families for each unique element, then load them into either a blank project or family (you decide what category it should be) depending on how it needs to be presented.

Message 6 of 11
RPTHOMAS108

Try adaptive component family as it gives you freedom of placement. I see it as three distinct types of two point adaptive components:

The vertical post

The horizontal beams

The round pins

All have fixed length unlike structural columns/beams. Also your elements are not prismatic most elements of structural framing/columns would be (those kind of elements are what it excels at).

You could conceivably use structural framing and structural columns but then you'll have to consider the levels:

Structural columns are two level based so where upon the vertical element will those levels fall i.e. at the pin position with extension beyond level? Does this mean you then have to offset the structural framing because the pin is at the centre of that.

What is happening to the ends when the structural framing interfaces with the beam, is there automatic cut back that is going to affect it? Probably with the resulting poor analytical model join up you wouldn't get that.

Basically there is a lot of automatic behaviour which will work against what you want to do. The most common beam to column connection is where the beam comes into the centroid of the column and structural framing/columns work from that starting assumption. You could say model a double beam and that solves the eccentricity of connection. Wrong tool you would be using a hammer to bang in a screw.

If you are unfamiliar with both environments i.e. structural framing/column family templates and that of the adaptive component one then you may as well choose the latter.

Message 7 of 11
ToanDN

How is this assembly placed in a context?  What supports it and what does it support?  It appears to me that the assembly is more like a decorative element.  If that is the case, there is no reason to model it as structural beams and columns.  A generic model with several extrusions would suffice.  Or if you need to explode them for visualization like the image you posted then create each piece as a shared generic family, nest them in a parent family and assemble.

Message 8 of 11
barthbradley

@javiercrmd95 wrote:

I have a school project and I have not been able to replicate this structure. How can I design this components (columns and beams) with timber?

How far have you got? Have you modeled any of it?  Regarding the material: that has no bearing on modeling the geometry.. Timber is a material.   

Message 9 of 11
javiercrmd95
in reply to: ToanDN

The project is called Tamedia offices, by Shigeru Ban Architects and its structural system is entirely made of wood through these assemblies, they are not only decorative elements.  How do I design the generic model with these extrusions? I tried to do it but the column element has a bit unusual extrusion (elements marked in red, image attached)

Message 10 of 11
javiercrmd95
in reply to: barthbradley

This is what I have been able to do with the genereci model, but empty extrusions do not cut solid extrusions

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN

@javiercrmd95 wrote:

This is what I have been able to do with the genereci model, but empty extrusions do not cut solid extrusions

Create solid extrusions and void extrusions in the same family and Cut geometry in the family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators