Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create grid with labels

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1000 Views, 7 Replies

Create grid with labels

Great forum.

Say, I'd like to create grids, where each square is uniquely labeled (can be any unique labels, really, such as "1", "2", "3", etc., or "a1", etc. below). How do I best do this. Is the best way?: View --> Guide Grid

daleTTV26_0-1615567852562.png

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bimscape
in reply to: Anonymous

May I ask: What doe you actually want to do with this grid of unique cells? If you describe the end result / strategy you are wanting to achieve, we could work backwards and determine the best solution. There may be other options that don't involve Guide Grids?

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 3 of 8
aaron_rumple

Quick and dirty, since we don't know what you really want to do....

A square family - arrayed in your grid and then tag each family with Mark.

Use Dynamo to rename them with the letters and numbers based on location.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: bimscape

Good question. We label warehouses for determining forklift travel distances, and we look at each bin in the warehouse and assign an arbitrary unique zone that ("a1", "b3", "j5", etc.) to it. So I need to look at any point in the warehouse and say "that point is in zone b3". Does that help?

Message 5 of 8
aaron_rumple

Then yes.
I'd make a family - it could just be some model lines in plan. Array the family in a grid and tag all. Then you can do the tags a couple of ways.

• By hand.
  • Two fields for column and row.
    • Select all in a row and add the row value
    • Select all in a column and add the column value
    • Use dynamo based on location.

Or...

• You could make a grid of room separation lines and then label the grid as rooms.
    • Advantage is that anything you place in that space could easily be locate as long as the family has the Room Calculation Point turned on.
    • Disadvantage - it will possibly conflict with other rooms.
      • Work around would be to do this in a linked model.
    • Labels could be done he same as above.

And...

• You could locate items within the area using the first method (family) by finding items (bins) within the families bounding box. But that required some dynamo. But sounds like you might need dynamo for some other things as well.
    • You might want your family to have a height, if you are looking to determine where a bin is on a shelf vertically. You can retrieve the XYZ easily.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

You folks are awesome. Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
syman2000

You can create slope glazing and use curtainwall panel as your guide with text value. Then you can define the number of vertical & horizontal grids you want. See attached

slope glazing.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report