Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Door family with Generic Model that cuts in plan

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1201 Views, 8 Replies

Create Door family with Generic Model that cuts in plan

I have been tasked with making a couple complex rolling doors that each occur only once in a project and are quite different from one another. I decided the quickest way to make these would be to model them in Rhino and bring them into a Revit family as a .sat file.

1. I started by creating a wall-based Generic Model (GM) family and bringing in the Revit. I connected the door to the wall and created a void form to cut the wall. The family worked great, and when viewed in plan was cutting properly. The doors have large boxes over the header and I was able to use symbolic lines to represent the box in plan. However, these doors weren't showing up in my existing door schedule.

2. So, I changed the family category to 'Door' and reloaded it into the model. It appeared in the schedule just fine, but it no longer cut in plan. The box above the header appeared with the same lineweight as the door panel.

3. I next tried creating a new Door family and bringing in the CAD (as .sat) directly into the door family. When I loaded this into my model it had the same issue as attempt 2.

I imagine the best way to do this is to build everything in Revit from the get-go. But is there a way to get both the cutting of the GM family and the scheduling of the Door family? Revit can obviously do both, just seemingly not at the same time...really, it just wants you to do things it's way.

I've attached two screenshots, one showing the door in section (to explain the 'box' above the header), and one showing two attempts in plan side-by-side, to demonstrate the issue visually. I have also attached .rfa families of my three attempts, numbered the same as my three attempts above.

Any guidance or admonishments anyone can offer for my shoddy family-building are welcome.

Thanks,

S

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Your void doesn't cut all the way through the Wall in the Project. You need to align and lock the Void in the Family to the Host Wall's Interior and Exterior Ref. Planes.  

DOOR1020.png

DOOR1020-1.png

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

true, I was a bit messy with this model. But this doesn't affect how it reads in plan.
Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

Why don't you use Symbolic Lines in Family Plan and Elevation/Sections  - similar to the way most other Door/Window Families are done?  

Message 5 of 9
barthbradley

Nest a Shared Generic Model Family into a Door Family, and load/place the Door Family in the Project .  That do it for you?   

Door1010-5.png

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

You can bring the CAD or SAT file to a generic model family, make it Shared, and nest that generic family to a door family. 

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

great, thanks all--

just to hijack this thread a bit with a different question--@barthbradley, I had included symbolic lines previously to show the box above, but I keep having the issues of the lines overrunning where I want them to stop. I have the door set back a locked distance from the face of the wall, but the symbolic lines always add back this offset, even if I connect them to another symbolic line spanning the opening and lock this line to the face of wall reference plane. Is there a way to lock the end of a symbolic line to a reference plane? Screenshots attached.

overrun_symbolic_plan.PNGoverrun_symbolic.PNG

Message 8 of 9
barthbradley

If you TAB-Select on the end of a line, you can cycle to the end point which will be represented by a tiny blue dot.  Is that what you are asking about?  

...align and lock that end point to a Ref. Plane. 

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

whoops that's so simple, don't know why I didn't try? Thanks @barthbradley!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report