Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create basement retaining wall in Revit

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
emccall1
3242 Views, 23 Replies

Create basement retaining wall in Revit

Hi guys, 

Im new to Revit, so just getting to grips with it. I have drawn architectural walls which I need to swap out for basement retaining walls.

The walls need a base of 600mm wide, and a top of 300mm, with one side therefore being vertical (inside) and the other angled to complete the profile (external side). I have attached an autocad file of what I hoping to achieve.

Does anyone know how to create this type of wall in Revit? Additionally, when snapping two walls at 90 degrees, I'd need the walls to recognise that the two walls are not entirely vertical elements; the inner sides will snap at 90 degrees, since both verticals are located (pink lines in attachment), but the external faces, since the walls are sloped, will leave a gap. I would need the top faces to be extended by 300mm to join at the top, and the same at the bottom. In addition to creating the vertical element between the top and bottom. (yellow lines in attachment)

I'd appreciate any help with this. 

Thanks

Elliot

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Alan.johnson1970
in reply to: emccall1

HI 

I would create your walls using the Model In Place tool. (Architecture Tab > Build Panel > Component > Model In Place)

I would use wall category and use sweep to create the wall (create a path, then a profile and set Material)

Regards

AJ

AJ.
Message 3 of 24
emccall1
in reply to: Alan.johnson1970

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this. Might need a few breadcrumb steps to do what you suggested.

I got as far as the modelling in place and made a path 300 x 5000 for the top of the wall and another 600 x 5000 for the base of the wall.

Help??

thanks

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.
Message 4 of 24
Alan.johnson1970

OK the way this works is,

once you have started the Model in Place, and picked a category (wall)

Use the sweep tool

1st. sketch a path (where you want the wall to go in a plan view)

2nd. select or edit Profile (draw a profile in an elevation)

when you accept (big green tick) it will extrude the profile shape along the sketched path 

hope this explains it well enough 

AJ

AJ.
Message 5 of 24
RDAOU

@emccall1

The following screencast are old but pretty all cover the same topic more or less...you can use any of the shown methods to achieve what that gravity wall like structure.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 24
chrisplyler

You only need one path. It can be at the top, or at the bottom, or whatever, but you only need one. Then you sketch a profile (a closed loop of lines representing your intended section cut view of the wall) that follows that path.

Message 7 of 24
emccall1
in reply to: chrisplyler

Thanks Chris for this update; Ive also been trying to use Alans approach until now. 

Im not really understanding the idea behind the sweep; I was trying to create the geometry in plan then somehow sweep it - I found a video tutorial on the sweep but in the meantime the blend tool gave me some form of the shape I was looking for - I have attached an example of this, showing two walls at 90 degrees.

However, two things; how do I make this wall so it can be defined in a family and is editable like all other walls in the drawing, in terms of its height and length ( I understand its width its governed by the wall make-up properties, which can be edited when you edit the type). Secondly, when you draw out walls as part of the system families, Revit automatically applies the joining element/ corner. How would I go about getting Revit to auto genres this for this type of walls that I  creating? 

You will see from the Revit example attached where my problem lies.

amMuchos Gracias!

Elliot

Message 8 of 24
emccall1

I'm just adding  a further file showing what I mean by the automatic joining element. Just not sure how to get Revit to automate this when I intersect two walls of this type. 

Message 9 of 24
chrisplyler

Revit will not treat a model-in-place form, or indeed any non- system wall family that you might consider for solving your problem such as a mass, as a system wall type. If it had all the properties of a system wall type, then you could have built it as a system wall type. Do the sweep like this:

If for some reason that doesn't meet your needs, I'll offer an alternative solution.... You possibly can make it a system wall type and achieve the sloped outer surface by setting up the structure of the wall with a full-height, triangular reveal that would just slice off an angled portion of the exterior.

Message 10 of 24
RDAOU

lol @chrisplyler

this is the funniest post ever.... Unless the 3 screencasts I posted earlier with 4 methods to achieve a gravity retaining wall (using mass, sweep, blend, extrusions as well as an embedded wall sweep in a system wall family) are ALL INVISIBLE...what was left would have been an adaptive component!!!

@emccall1 

I have seen beginners I have taught literally 100s during the past 2 years and I have to be honest I have never come across a case like yours!!! ON THIS post and ON such a simple basic topic (which doesn't really need  an expert) there are 7 solutions for your question (and not from a single person)!!! (On youtube or google you would even find more!!!) AND STILL NONE OF THE ABOVE IS SATISFACTORY...Something is not right here!!!

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous

I would think the Model In Place Sweep would be the way to go, super simple to achieve and easy to edit should you need to. You only give it a path that the profile runs down, then edit the profile and simply draw the wall profile shape. Easy! 😄

Youtube has a load of good vids (should the vids provided above not be enough) showing how to do a quick model in-place wall sweep. Check it out. The way you did it was okay but connecting the two blends doesn't work so well. Use the sweep instead of blend, the sweep will handle the corners better.

Message 12 of 24
emccall1
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you Chris and thank you JeppsMX3UQ.

I think it's best I return to Revit and try some of these solutions.

What I can't get over in my mind is how I'll load the sweep path/ or swept path (ie. Form) as a family, which can then be edited; maybe it's my lack of Revit experience?

Best wishes

Elliot
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

You don't actually "load in" a model in place family. It's made inside your project. Click the drop-down below the component button (Architecture, System, or Structure tabs) then create a model in place component and place it in the Wall family. Now is when you begin doing your sweep. Give the wall object a material once you have finished the sweep and then you should be good to go.

If you're not sure how to do a model in place family you might want to hop onto youtube again and check it out real quick. It should only take a few minutes to pick it up. It's a pretty simple process once you've done it a few times.

This amazing(ly generic) little pic should clear it up.

Message 14 of 24
chrisplyler
in reply to: RDAOU

Just throwing my hat in for a solution pick.

An adaptive component would work fine, but you'd have to set one up for each possible number of corners that you might use.

Message 15 of 24
RDAOU

lol it's not you...anyone can throw in a solution it's just that the OP is funny, the PO even funnier and it's kinda fishy and something IS NOT RIGHT when all those solutions even similar ones end up with the originator saying "Best is to go back to Revit and try them out!!"

WTH!!! all of this and the originator didn't even bother to try any!!! LOL it's a freakin slanted wall!!! not a PHD thesis!!!

You seriously don't find that funny ?!!!

Message 16 of 24
emccall1

@RDAOU I appreciate what you are saying and I have been practicing what members have posted; by my comments I refer to going back and understanding the posts that people have kindly left me with, in order to answer my solution. 

I must say that I feel there are other ways to approach people and comment accordingly; especially as you mention that you have taught others.

Since you've 'taught' you will know that there are a number of way students learn, a link to a number of these styles can be found here, if you feel the need to refresh yourself: http://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/ - not everyone is born knowing Revit.

I thank you for your time.

Message 17 of 24
RDAOU

@emccall1

I am still not convinced and the link you gave is irrelevant. You are a person who claims he is a beginner yet he is jumping the ladder 10 steps at a time. This is not a learning style. 7 solutions were given none of which requires more than 15 mins effort from a fresh student who just started to learn Revit...yet (up till this moment) no effort has been observed from your side...

Seriously!! if a student here can after 2 months and a half of Revit, model a small project starting from conceptual massing to detailed parametric & adaptive components ... it cannot be possible that you are still not sure or unable to understand if sweeping a profile is the way to go!!!

If all the above can't get someone to model a sweep and to understand it...then there is something wrong and something which is not real!! you can call it whatever you want to call it...if it's a learning style, then you definitely must try something else because such style will get you nowhere in Revit.

Please don't be offended...because whatever this is, it is neither good for you nor for those you are or will be working with.

Message 18 of 24
emccall1

@RDAOU Thank you for your words of encouragement and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will set to work sampling and testing/trying, however you see it to be, the examples and solutions provided. I can understand that how am I in a position to suggest that a solution is neither the right way to approach it or to claim its wrong completely, if it has not first been tested or at least trailed. 

I will update according and than you all for your time. 

Message 19 of 24
emccall1

Ok, so Im a learning @chrisplyler screencast t get to grips with the sweep feature, and I plan to use @RDAOU 3rd screencast to look at how the model can be used within a family (excuse my explanation, I hope you know what I mean).

But what I understand, in the attachment, is not allowing me to create the vertical profile is that the horizontal workplane is running the wrong way, and should run along the shortest side of the path generated; so that the wall can be swept along the longest side. However, I cannot seem to orientate the vertical line across said axis/plane, but only along the plane as shown. 

Sorry to be a pain!

Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 24
RDAOU

The work plane is placed on the first line you pick for the path...ie: if you want it along the long path ... pick that one first

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report