Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Tag that equals view name

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
RFreund
343 Views, 8 Replies

Create a Tag that equals view name

Is there a way to create at tag that equals the View Name? 

Can parameters access View Name or Title on Sheet Name?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: RFreund

It can't be done. It also doesn't make much sense. Can you provide a specific example?  

Message 3 of 9
jwinklerQ3ZUJ

Yes.  It's called a view title.  But the tag must be on a sheet, not in the view.  If you want to label the view while in the view itself, that's going to require some kind of workaround.   You might be able to create piece of text in views using dynamo.

Message 4 of 9

View Title is not a Tag.  

Help | Tags | Autodesk

Message 5 of 9
RFreund
in reply to: barthbradley

I should have searched a little harder before posting. I'm trying to accomplish what seems like many other are also trying to accomplish (without success it seems) and that is...

We have a library of 'standard details'. They have a specific name/number that corresponds to a spreadsheet that contains the names/numbers of the details. I want to have the ability to print all the standard details so that a PM could circle the details that they want and the draftsmen can find the associated detail (via the number/name).  I thought I could accomplish this with a tag that resides in the drafting view. We can just manually put some text in there, but if we were ever to change the name/number of the view it would be nice to have that text update. Also, I don't want to have to delete this text every time we bring it into a job.  

Message 6 of 9
robert2JCCH

So if I understand this correctly:

1. An organized, digital library of details exists in your Revit files.
  2. The PMs want the ability to look through a (hopefully digital?) binder of details and pick out which go into the project.
  3. You want to be able to get the reference ID of the detail onto each page of this digital binder for tracking purposes.
    1. You also want this to be a live parameter association.
    2. You also don't want this actually on the detail so that you're not pruning the text on a per-project basis.

If I were to take a stab at this, I'd just put each detail onto individual sheets and batch PDF the whole thing. Set up the view title to pull whatever parameters store your ID information, and you wouldn't actually have to modify any of the details since the PM-coordination end is all presented with Sheets instead of Views.

If you are in the dozens/hundreds of details scale, there's Dynamo workflows that should let you scrape an entire file for every Drafting View, generate an Empty Sheet per view, then place those views on the Sheets. Assuming that your details are all in the same general papersize, you can just go with a single sheet size: otherwise you might have to play with scaling on the larger details to make it them fit.

---------------------------

The other option I've seen employed are to use detail category associations to create extra-large detail swatch sheets. It works well for things like Roof Curb attachment details, since you see all the details on one digital page and just point out which one is project-specific.

Message 7 of 9
RFreund
in reply to: robert2JCCH

Hi Robert, that is essentially correct. 

When you say - 

"Set up the view title to pull whatever parameters store your ID information"

What parameter option are you thinking I can use. I'm basically looking to display a detail number i.e. "S3.101" and the detail name (which does not match the name on the sheet) i.e. "Typical slab on grade joint details"

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
RFreund

I think I got it actually. I can basically just make a shared parameter and put that in my title tag.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 9

Didn't mean to confuse with terminology.  Correct -a view title is not a "tag".    I should've said it's very similar to a tag because it's an annotative family that uses labels to read attributes in the project.   It's different from a tag because

1.  It must be used on sheets    and

2.  It must be associated/nested within a Viewport type.

Thank you for clarifying.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators