Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying one view template between models

65 REPLIES 65
SOLVED
Message 1 of 66
Anonymous
142974 Views, 65 Replies

copying one view template between models

is there a way to copy just one view template between revit jobs or other thing rather than just taking them all?
Like a  add on or something?

Thanks

65 REPLIES 65
Message 21 of 66
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

You obviously didn't look at the screen pics I posted nor did you really read my post, you were just eager to respond.

The problem is that Revit DOESN'T try to transfer all view templates because somehow when using the "Transfer Project Standards" procedure it doesn't see all the view templates. For instance the view template "VT_01_Sparingen" is available in the source file but doesn't show up as a transferable option in the target file.

Other than that you can keep your "smart" remarks to yourself.

Message 22 of 66
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

You obviously didn't look at the screen pics I posted

I think it was you that didn't look at them. Either that or you didn't explain your problem fully.

The second screen shot is of DUPLICATE view templates. Maybe it's a language thing but that means it is a list of view templates in the destination project that have the same name and it asks you if you want to overwrite them with the ones from the source project or keep them as is.

@Anonymous wrote:

nor did you really read my post, you were just eager to respond.

The problem is that Revit DOESN'T try to transfer all view templates

I'm sorry but Revit does try to transfer all the view templates. This thread exists because that is what Revit does. We are discussing how to transfer a single template. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than that you can keep your "smart" remarks to yourself.

If I did that, I would be doing a disservice to the people that post intelligent questions.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 23 of 66
HVAC-Novice

IME, Revit transfers all the templates or to her categories you transfer. It would be nice to select only that one line weight, material etc., that you actually want to transfer. 

To avoid cluttering up my model with all the un-needed items, I transfer first into an empty dummy project file. that has no view templates etc. then i delete all the unneeded items in that dummy project and transfer into my project. It is kind of cumbersome and annoying and it really would be great if we could transfer selectively. 

if there is a better way to selectively transfer, let me know.

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 24 of 66
RobDraw
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

if there is a better way to selectively transfer, let me know.

You can't selectively transfer. Any process that allows you to get the same result involves deleting the unwanted templates. There are a few ways to get rid of the unwanted templates before the transfer but they all take relatively the same amount of time. Pick your poison from this thread

Rob

Message 25 of 66
HVAC-Novice

But then I need to know which line weights, fonts etc. I already had in the project. Same for view templates. 

Say I have 58 templates in project B and want to transfer 3 of them into project A. Project A may have 18 different project templates, that may not be the same as in project B. Then i have to check somehow that I don't delete the wrong templates. If i do that in the dummy project, it is easier to delete all but the 3 I want to transfer. 

I guess it would be easy for A-desk to add a selection checkmark to each item to transfer. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 26 of 66
RobDraw

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

But then I need to know which line weights, fonts etc.

Why? Transferring a view template does nothing but make one in the destination project.

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

I guess it would be easy for A-desk to add a selection checkmark to each item to transfer. 

You and a bunch of other people. You can vote up the idea in the ideas forum or Augi's wishlist.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your comments because you are derailing this thread. I suggest you start a new thread with your issues.

Rob

Message 27 of 66
martijn_pater

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

But then I need to know which line weights, fonts etc. I already had in the project. Same for view templates. 

Say I have 58 templates in project B and want to transfer 3 of them into project A. Project A may have 18 different project templates, that may not be the same as in project B. Then i have to check somehow that I don't delete the wrong templates. If i do that in the dummy project, it is easier to delete all but the 3 I want to transfer. 

You can overwrite existing templates or you don't. Adding one, by one of the above mentioned methods, just adds one to the templates you have in the project. Transferring line patterns/styles/weights is seperate from transferring a view template.

Message 28 of 66
bihnerbr

For deleting unused View Templates (Revit 2021 does not have the Purge Unused template option), we have to go to "View -> "View Templates" and then to "View Templates".   Here we can delete unused view templates, unfortunately one at a time.  But, I can recycle my view templates from project to project.  

Message 29 of 66
jrdoyleR2A82

One thing to note if you are using "Transfer Project Standards" to transfer view templates (based on my experience with Revit 2022):

The newly transferred template in the destination project will NOT carry over any modifications made to Revit links in the original view template.

Message 30 of 66
R.WalkerUUECE

i dont see view templates as a check box item that can be copied over.

Message 31 of 66
RobDraw

Either you've got the wrong model selected or you don't have it open or there aren't any view templates in it.

Rob

Message 32 of 66
TB2
Contributor

For those still running into this seemingly simple task of tranfering a specific view template between projects - the pyRevit extension "EF-Tools" offers this funcionality in a simple and straightforward way.

(pyrRevit is the best, for those not yet familiar with it - check it out! open source and great)

Message 33 of 66
R.WalkerUUECE
in reply to: TB2

I did find that. Thanks for the answer.

Message 34 of 66
TB2
Contributor
in reply to: R.WalkerUUECE

You're welcome... (used to use Transfer Single Addon, but it doesn't work on my 2020 installation anymore, so I was quite glad when I found the pyRevit alternative)

Message 35 of 66
rsnyderPNHQ9

The pyRevit is great. You can pick one or multiple View Templates to import. Then pick from your open files to copy to.

rsnyderPNHQ9_0-1661377228083.png

rsnyderPNHQ9_1-1661377329147.png

rsnyderPNHQ9_2-1661377457209.png

Message 36 of 66
RobDraw
in reply to: rsnyderPNHQ9

Is that the sane as message #32?

Rob

Message 37 of 66
rsnyderPNHQ9

For sure. Sorry, I didn't see the second page of the thread.

hahaha from earlier today? Too funny.

Message 38 of 66
rsnyderPNHQ9

Should I Report my own message?? 😄 I don't see an option to delete.
Message 39 of 66
RobDraw
in reply to: rsnyderPNHQ9

Nah, it's actually a useful post with the subsequent messages.

Rob

Message 40 of 66
TB2
Contributor

😄 actually, the one I posted is a diffrent one, didn't know there is a tool for that directly in pyRevit - thanks for pointing that out! the one I used is in an extension for pyRevit, which you manually have to install and activate - that is ridiculously easy and fast to do and you don`t have to restart revit for it to show up, but still some clicks to make. Still, the extensions are great and well worth a look, if you haven' checked them out already - tony of usefull tools hidden there as well. (I am still trying to but together a "best of" the most used tools for our office, there's a tutorial out there how to do that, which is quite easy to follow)
best regards,

Tommy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report