Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying one view template between models

63 REPLIES 63
SOLVED
Message 1 of 64
Anonymous
138795 Views, 63 Replies

copying one view template between models

is there a way to copy just one view template between revit jobs or other thing rather than just taking them all?
Like a  add on or something?

Thanks

63 REPLIES 63
Message 2 of 64
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

you could do a save as and then delete all but the template you want to carry over then in the manage tab of the project where you want the template you can transfer project standards and just choose the templates.... hey presto

Message 3 of 64
Anonymous

You can transfer View template from project to another One. Select your current project and open the other one with View Template. From the main project go to Manage Tab- Transfer Project Standards-select the other project as source of standars (on the top of the opened window ) and go to check only view template. Overwrite the existing or not ( as you wish). If you want delete the other View Templates that you are not using, go to Purge Paramenters in Manage tab. Check none and then go in view template: you have to select only templates that you want delete and preserve the others imported. I hope to helped you. Bye

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 64
RobDraw

I do what @Anonymous suggests.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 64
Anonymous

As you wish. Two differet ways, same result
Message 6 of 64
RobDraw

One does exactly what the OP asked, the other requires bringing in more than is actually needed.

Rob

Message 7 of 64
Anonymous

'View Template' doesn't appear in the list.

No View Templates listed!!No View Templates listed!!

Message 8 of 64
ToanDN

The source file must have at least one View Template.
Message 9 of 64
RobDraw

Your source project is "Project 1".

Is that the project that you are trying to get the view template from?

The name implies that it might be the new project that you are transferring into, rather than from.

Rob

Message 10 of 64
Julian.Gherda
in reply to: RobDraw

Hi all,

While looking for the same thing I've realized that the model from which we want to transfer  any view template needs to be linked in the "current" model. Also, at least in RVT 2018, I didn't get the option to select which view template to copy, and because we have a lot of view templates set up within the project template I got all instead on only one or two that I was looking for. Is there another way to only copy/import a view template from one model to another?

Thanks

Message 11 of 64
RobDraw
in reply to: Julian.Gherda

@Julian.Gherda wrote:

While looking for the same thing I've realized that the model from which we want to transfer  any view template needs to be linked in the "current" model.

Yes, that is necessary in order to transfer.

@Julian.Gherda wrote:

Also, at least in RVT 2018, I didn't get the option to select which view template to copy, and because we have a lot of view templates set up within the project template I got all instead on only one or two that I was looking for. Is there another way to only copy/import a view template from one model to another?

See message #2.

Rob

Message 12 of 64
Julian.Gherda

Thanks for replying Rob. It  is clear now that there no quick and easy way to do it. I was kind of hoping to be a way to do a simple copy/paste thinking there might be a file somewhere in the RVT folder.... I guess I have to dig dipper into how RVT works so I can understand what can be done, what can't and why.

Message 13 of 64
RobDraw

Forget about trying to figure out why. You're going to have just accept some things as "what Revit wants".

Rob

Message 14 of 64
Julian.Gherda

About that... my previous RVT senior told me that in some instances when normal things just don't work, he calls them Revitisms :))

Message 15 of 64
ToanDN

@Julian.Gherda wrote:

Hi all,

While looking for the same thing I've realized that the model from which we want to transfer  any view template needs to be linked in the "current" model.

This is incorrect.  The source model does not need to be linked in the target model.  But it needs to be open in the same Revit session.

Also, at least in RVT 2018, I didn't get the option to select which view template to copy, and because we have a lot of view templates set up within the project template I got all instead on only one or two that I was looking for. Is there another way to only copy/import a view template from one model to another?

Thanks

Message 16 of 64
RobDraw
in reply to: ToanDN

Oops, I was mistaken in a previous post. Thanks for clearing that up for us @ToanDN .

Rob

Message 17 of 64
Anonymous

Doesn't work in 2020, only a few of the view templates from the original file come up for transfer:

Original file with view templates (opened in Rev****)

kuikrobert8_0-1591264577279.png

View templates available for transfer in the other file (also open in Rev****):

kuikrobert8_1-1591264700535.png

Isn't Rev**** just great? No, it's not, you actually have to get an add-in to perform a basically simple operation: https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=1809785843726173503&appLang=en&os=Win64&autostart=t...

Unfortunately to use this you have to link the file with the view template you want to transfer in to the target file. The app is available on the Autodesk site, why it's not an integrate part of Revit God only knows.

Rev****:

https://thinkmoult.com/why-revit-is-****.html

http://therevitmepskullfvck.blogspot.com/

Message 18 of 64
RobDraw

So, Revit tries to transfer all the view templates and if there are already templates with the same name Revit asks if you want to overwrite them or not. What is wrong with that? Is it supposed to read your mind? Because no one reading your post would know what you want to do either. Similar to life, Revit is only as great as the user driving it.

BTW, maybe you didn't notice that this thread is about transferring a single view template which is quite simple.

Rob

Message 19 of 64
martijn_pater
in reply to: ToanDN

Is there another way to only copy/import a view template from one model to another?

I think you would open up the file in same revit session which has the one template you want to transfer, delete all the templates you don't want to transfer, then transfer the remaining view template(s) and afterwards close the original file, without saving... Or 'just' reproduce the template settings in the other file for the one template...

Message 20 of 64
RobDraw
in reply to: martijn_pater

@martijn_pater wrote:

I think you would open up the file in same revit session which has the one template you want to transfer, delete all the templates you don't want to transfer, then transfer the remaining view template(s) and afterwards close the original file, without saving... Or 'just' reproduce the template settings in the other file for the one template...

AFAIK, these are the only two ways to get a single (or multiple specific) view templates from one project to another.

Quite simple isn't it?

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators