Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert DWG to RFA

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
KGARRETT5
7031 Views, 7 Replies

Convert DWG to RFA

Hi. I am trying to convert a  DWG file to RFA however I seem to be getting this error:

"None of the created elements are visible in Reflected Ceiling Plan: Ref. Level View. You may want to check the active view, its Parameters, and Visibility settings, as well as any Plan Regions and their settings."

these are the steps I took:

1. create a new family based on the Revit family template. for example the "Lighting Ceiling Plan.rft"
  2. insert the DWG file from into your family.
  3. The Error above
Labels (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bimscape
in reply to: KGARRETT5

A couple of things here:-

-You cannot 'convert' a DWG to an RFA just be bringing it into the Family Template.

-You can bring the DWG into the RFA template in order to use it as part of the Family or as a visiual template by which you develop your Family.

-The message you got was a Warning, not an Error. The DWG did make it into the Family Template- it's just warning you that (due to any number of reasons) you are not seeing the DWG. It s however, in there.

Hope this helps?

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 3 of 8
hmunsell

as @bimscape pointed out not a Error, but a warning saying it placed it, but it cant be seen in that particular view. 

When i tried to open the DWG i got this message which could be part of the problem as well.....

Capture.JPG

When it opened it looked like it was a series of flattened 3D perspectives. there does not seem to be any 3D elements in it. I also got the message below after the file opened:

• "Non Autodesk DWG. This DWG file was saved by a software application that was not developed or licensed by Autodesk. Autodesk cannot guarantee the application compatibility or integrity of this file."

That said.... Why are you wanting to bring the DWG into a Revit family? 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
elzohry2007

That's awesome

Message 5 of 8
KGARRETT5
in reply to: hmunsell

I am super new to Revit! I took a class but it was all the basics.

I needed some families and someone as well as when I talked to the manufacturer  mentioned downloading their Revit files from their website - flos.com. Unless I am just completely looking in the wrong place, only thing I found were the DWG files. Generally, I get files from RevitCity, but it doesn't provide enough for my project. I need to show an elevation and a few 3D views with the light fixtures in them.

I guess the better question is....can this be done?

Message 6 of 8
hmunsell

this is one of the reasons i don't like DWG's in Revit.....

The DWG has 9 different 2D views in. if I select just the side elevation, it has over 3000 objects in it. many of them are multifaceted Plines and Splines.  that is alot of overhead that "I" wouldn't want i my model. 

Capture.JPG

that said.... if you want this on a section, i would save out Just the view you want from the DWG. i would do this by making a WBLOCK of just that view. then you should be able to bring that into a Detail Item family. once that is made you can load the Detail Item into your project and just place it in the section. 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
bimscape

Yes, it can be done.

To be honest, if you are very new to Revit- creating your own families is just a little further down the road.

From what you've said, it sounds like they have Revit Families for their fittings, but you didn't find them? Why not go back to them and ask for clarification- or just ask them to email them to you. 

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 8 of 8
Badraldin.rd

The solution is longer than I expected but unfortunately, you cannot import it directly in the case of a 3d model you have to follow the following process:

1- export the 3d model into DWG
max1.jpg
2- Import the model in Sketchup
max2.jpg
3-Import SketchUp model in Revit generic family.

max3.jpg

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report