Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecton railing to spiral staircase?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
magicdl96
458 Views, 5 Replies

Connecton railing to spiral staircase?

Hello everyone,

i want to connect railing to spiral staircase but can't..

Can anyone help me?

I cannot attach files. pls see the link below. 

Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dDpa8-Q834KLs1MnU7uOHLMPF6EWr6qb/view?usp=sharing

Autodesk Revit 2020.

aa.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RDAOU
in reply to: magicdl96

@magicdl96 

The question is not clear...What do you mean by Connecting Rails to staircase? 

1. the image you posted shows a ramp ... so which staircase?
  2. Railings are hosted to stairs/ramps... did you mean that or did you mean connecting the top rail to the host? if the latter you could use either of the following:
    • EITHER - Edit the top rail >>> Add Extensions to Floor (See image below)
      • RDAOU_0-1643103299203.png

• OR - Tab over the top Rail to Select >> Edit Rail >> Edit Path and add vertical Extensions (Watch Gif Below)
      • Railing - Edit Path.gif
    • OR - You could also use a termination post family as a connection

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 6
magicdl96
in reply to: RDAOU

Sorry for my english not good and thanks for your answer.

I want my railing to be on top of concrete ledge. I choose ramps as host  but how much I offset, some places will hit the concrete ledge and some places will be open.

bbb.png

- Like the picture below.

magicdl96_2-1643104436716.png

Message 4 of 6
RDAOU

@magicdl96 

I cannot open your file to check what is going on, but I would suspect that has to do with the way you modeled the ledge. Try and create the Concrete Ledge using the ramp tool as well...then host the rail to that one. This should allow you to have the same spiral curve for both ramp and ledge => uniform gap and without offsets

(copy/paste the main ramp to same place then edit that to match ledge profile bxh)

Ramp Beam 2.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 6
magicdl96
in reply to: RDAOU

Yes, I know the problem has to do with concrete ledges but we don't do them. We only draw railing. So that's the problem. 

Is there no other way to link correctly?

Message 6 of 6
lucdoucet_msdl

@magicdl96 

From your model, here are the "Spiral ramp" components:

lucdoucet_msdl_0-1643170643535.png

Actually, the two guard rails are hosted to the light grey Revit ramp family "Ramp A" and not hosted on the "Ramp ledges" which are part of the InPlace generic model family.

I presume you modelled an additional dark grey Revit ramp family which I labelled "Ramp B" and tried to host the guard rail to it, which will fail because the guard rail path does not overlay the ramp area. 

lucdoucet_msdl_3-1643171264746.png

This said, to height of the guard rail posts and assigned with a vertical offset of 135mm from the host while the top and bottom rails are at 260 and 1310mm from the host.

lucdoucet_msdl_1-1643171163654.png

lucdoucet_msdl_2-1643171184148.png

As the guard rail is ignoring the "Ramp ledges", if you want to adjust the height parameters of the guardrail, you must do so relative to the host height (which is the top surface of the Revit ramp family) in the Revit guard rail type parameters.

This said, I am not sure which problem you are trying to solve. Maybe sketch the desired result on top of a screen capture?

-luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report